Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2nd QTR 2016

Brett Barrow

Dave Van, you're not the only one!  I bought the Testor's version of the '48 to do a stock Ford.  Now, I will use the new Revell kit instead.  This kit looks like a major win for Revell.  Now, let's see who will be the first person to hack one up and pour the guts from a few drag racing kits into the Revell body to make Fat Jack's '46.  (Might have to source the '46 trim from the IMC/Testor's kit, or from the Custom coupe version?)  Even if you don't copy the Fat Jack car, the fat tire, fat fendered revolution was kind of fun at one time.  A pro street or Q16 doorslammer would stand out in today's retro and rat rod environment.  

I am also thrilled to see the '83 Olds.  If the kit is decent, I will grab a few.  These things were everywhere 25-30 years ago.  Half of the cars at the dragstrip were Supremes, a bunch got cut up along with their Monte Carlo brethren to make street stocks at the local dirt tracks.  Every High School and College campus in the state of Michigan had a single black stripe leading out of the parking lot from guys (And a gal or two!) trying to do the "one wheel squeal" while leaving class.  They became pro streeters, Lowriders, drag cars, street machines, boulevard cruisers, oval trackers, autocrossers, family cars and everything in between.  They (Along with their Chevy, Buick and Pontiac stablemates) were the last  RWD mid sized muscle cars on frame rails.    Almost everybody over 30 has driven or ridden  in one of these at one time or another.  (I even know one young woman who was born in one!)  Hopefully the kit gets the look right, and the sales shock Revell into realizing they could make a good profit off of giving us Buicks, Malibus and Pontiacs off of the same platform.  (In this day of CAD and modular tooling, it might be easier to do a second kit based on the same platform than to start from scratch?)  I hope the aftermarket can jump in with non-Hurst trim, flat hoods and all of the other stuff to make some different versions and years of this car.  

I will check out the '30 coupe, and if the roof is not too messed up, I will get a few.  Just being able to have all of the extra parts to swap back and forth with my five '29 Roadster kits will justify a couple of these.  I'm thinking of trying to set up an older blower on the nailhead motor and stuffing it in the coupe body with a roll bar and some cheaters.  Somebody has already suggested a neat idea for a club challenge.  Everybody starts with a Coupe and a Roadster kit.  Swap and mix parts and build...  a Coupe and a Roadster.  We are thinking of calling it the "Worlds most efficient kitbashing contest", as, unlike most other kitbashes, we will still get a model per kit used.  Hopefully Revell will knock out a version of the "A" with a full hood someday, as that would allow some really slick rods to be build.  (Hint hint!  stock height  '29 Sedan with a killer VINTAGE flattie, cool heads, three strombergs, an optional S.C.o.T. style blower and some vintage wire big and little wheels and tires would make the velcro on my wallet come loose! )

I am glad to see the F350 out again, as I have a couple of the Galaxie trailers that would look great behind one of these.  I will also check out the bike, as I built a couple of them when they were out in several varieties, and they were great fun.  I also want to see what they have done to the '69 Camaro.  If they have added any parts to it, I will probably grab one or two, as these are still some of the nicest kits to build.  The 1st quarter had very little to interest me, but this quarter will more than make up for it.  Between these kits, Round2's reissues and the Moebius Pontiacs and Comets, this is going to be a tough few Months on the budget.  Here's hoping the family likes Ramen noodles, 'cause that's what they're getting! :P  

Looks like the Chevy NASCARS will be Snap like the Fords, The 83 Hurst Olds wasn't just a rumor, and there will be a stock 48 Ford coupe.  We already knew about the Model A coupe...

revell2ndqtr.jpg

Okay stuff. But nothing that really knock me over with feather. The Hurst Olds is of some interest to me. Along with the '48 Ford. Got mixed feelings about the A coupe. I like the roadster. Which I have. But, I need to see how different the coupe is from the roadster before buying.

One of my best Christmas 2015 presents was when Ed told me last month that they were going to include the '30A Coupe in the next round of announcements.  

I'll need to check back with Revell to see if it's OK to give a detailed list of the kit content that is new, but I can say this right now.  If you guys liked the Roadster kit, I think you're gonna love the Coupe kit.

Cheers....TIM 

Looks like a small block chevy?...

I'm getting at least one '48 Ford. I like those cars, and it'll be nice to build a stock one. 

The Cutlass- if they don't muff this one, pending further news of any other variants, I'm in for at least one. If this one is set up for easy modification, this is no joke, I'll buy a case of the things- there are so many Supremes I want to do, it isn't funny, including both of the ones my mother had. If MCG steps up and does the photo-etch for all the scripts and the lower mouldings, once I can figure out how to modify the interiors properly, I'm in good shape and can make a whole series of nice cars with little extra trouble. 

Now to figure out how to make the disc and wire wheel covers, and maybe the Super Stock II wheels.

Charlie Larkin

More than likely a stock coupe body added tot he stock convertible 48 Ford Revell did a few years ago.  The IMC kits is OK at best.....

First I'd like to thank you for all the work you put in so we could get a '48 coupe, then I have to agree with you on why it was released, the big question is why did it take this long, all they had to work out was body tooling, they already have everything else worked out, even the parts for the hot rod release to follow.

But now I'm going to have to float another loan, just when I was getting the first quarter paperwork finished. I'm going to owe the wife so many favors and yes dears that I'll never get a chance to build any of these.

Edited by horsepower

The most sensible thing to do in terms of packaging the '48 Ford would be to toss the new body, glass and other sundries, along with the dubious police parts (sorry we've suffered enough Light Commercial nonsense to hold any hope - see '57 Ford parts) and put it into the existing Convertible kit contents. That would allow it to be built factory stock (eg popo ride) as well as Hot Rodded...poof 2n1! I have to doubt there's enough need considering the glut of '48 Ford parts out there that a separate Hot Rod version is viable. 

I was one among many that were disappointed to see the pre - chopped '48 come out and ridiculed mercilessly for being an idiot over the fact a factory stock '48 Ford would never sell, etc etc. It took several years, but there's validation that maybe they CAN sell one after all. 

I'll take one of those '30 A's too, and maybe an Olds. I can only hope after 18 solid months of every FB post Revell made being followed by wailing "WHEREZ THE CUTLASS?!?!?!?!?!?" that the kit is everything the G-Body fans have been waiting for...or a total disaster, if only for karma for the most impatient group of builders I've ever seen. I can't wait to see pictures of all the cases they're insisting they're buying since this flyer was posted. 

I like the Olds...Might pick up more than one...but one for sure...The F-350 I will pick up....I had to sell my original release kit back when I need to sell off some stuff...I like having the truck kits I am wishing for a new Chevy kit.  A new Ram truck kit would be nice also. 

I will pick up the 48 Ford the wife collects Police cars so she will want one and I will add one to my stash as well.

Hopefully the H/O will sell well and result in more '70s and '80s cars.  I'd like to see a few Rancheros, Indy Pace Cars, mid-'70s GM intermediates, Mirada and Magnum, Cyclone and Montego GT. 

I wonder if the '48 Ford coupe is an updated IMC kit.  Promos were made of the tudor sedan (Master Caster) and fordor sedan (AMT).  For kits, I think IMC had a convertible, and Revell has the woodie.  It has been a topic well covered.  Why can't we get some other '40s cars like the '40 LaSalle, '41 Buick and Cadillac, and late '40s Pontiac and Olds fastbacks?    

Not at all likely--seeing as Round2 owns the tooling for the IMC '48 Fords.  In addition, the old IMC '48 Ford coupe was based on their convertible kit, and Ford convertibles then used a completely different winshield and frame than was found on coupes and sedans--very much the same way that GM and Chrysler were doing at the time.   I'm going to suggest that this is an all-new body shell and interior made to fit on the Revell '48 Ford Convertible kit.

Art

Not at all likely--seeing as Round2 owns the tooling for the IMC '48 Fords.  In addition, the old IMC '48 Ford coupe was based on their convertible kit, and Ford convertibles then used a completely different winshield and frame than was found on coupes and sedans--very much the same way that GM and Chrysler were doing at the time.   I'm going to suggest that this is an all-new body shell and interior made to fit on the Revell '48 Ford Convertible kit.

Art

Add to the fact the old IMC 48 Ford was last in Japan with Union and then never seen again. It would cost more to make the IMC a good kit than just a new body for Revell's own 48 running gear. 

Interesting to get a Police version out of the Stock 48 Coupe

Since I have been Working on a Police version out of an IMC?Testor's kit

I had Built many years ago and started a resto on!!

Siren is Very close to the one I scratch built too!!!!!

Curious as to what agency decals might be included.

I am looking for San Diego for the one I am building out of the IMC/Testor's kit!!

Will they include a third roof light for the rear??
Will lenses be clear or red??

Art

Art....you know something the rest of us do not?   E.G> that somehow Round 2 has acquired the old IMC/Testors/Union tooling?  If I am interpreting your statement correctly, are there any more details you can share?  

To the best of my knowledge, the old IMC tooling had "disappeared" and was unlikely to ever be seen again.  Likewise, Round 2 has been very open in the past in declaring when they have acquired tooling from other sources, but I haven't heard anything from them publicly (or privately) on this topic.   

Thanks in advance for any clarity you can add here.....TIM 

Art....you know something the rest of us do not?   E.G> that somehow Round 2 has acquired the old IMC/Testors/Union tooling?  If I am interpreting your statement correctly, are there any more details you can share?  

To the best of my knowledge, the old IMC tooling had "disappeared" and was unlikely to ever be seen again.  Likewise, Round 2 has been very open in the past in declaring when they have acquired tooling from other sources, but I haven't heard anything from them publicly (or privately) on this topic.   

Thanks in advance for any clarity you can add here.....TIM 

Not Art but since Lindberg acquired all the existing IMC tooling way back when and Round 2 now owns Lindberg you could argue they own the IMC 48 Ford tooling too.   As far as I know that tooling is still lost along with the others that Union had run.

Steve