Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2nd QTR 2016

Brett Barrow

Hopefully the '48 Ford sells decently and Revell comes out with some other '40s cars.  I haven't seen the IMC version in decades, and I don't remember if it's good or bad as I never built one.  I have the wagon kit and the promos are pretty cool, too.

The IMC / Testors version really isn't too bad, and some guys on this forum have built exquisite models from it. The multi-part body is too challenging for some, and some of the details on the frame and elsewhere are kinda klunky. I've got a couple of IMC coupes in progress, one becoming a chopped '41 using the AMT woody nose.

I'm definitely in for a couple of Revell's new one, and the hot-rod too. Probably have to spring for the Camaro too. I really like that year, and don't have any.

I am really happy to see that Olds. I am in for at least two.  It is nice to see 70s/80s subjects which were skipped then they were new, like the S&H Torino.  Do we have any more details about the Olds? Is it based on the Monte Carlo & GN kits or an all new tool? Either way, it will be nice.

The olds looks great, really happy the front spoiler is separate. Will make it a lot easier to make a plain Jane Cutlass out of it

looking forward to the NASCAR SS's. Happy too see that they have the 16 decals. Although I highly doubt if I'll build like a Jimmie Johnson or Dale Jr. Ride

I am really happy to see that Olds. I am in for at least two.  It is nice to see 70s/80s subjects which were skipped then they were new, like the S&H Torino.  Do we have any more details about the Olds? Is it based on the Monte Carlo & GN kits or an all new tool? Either way, it will be nice.

It's 1/25 scale and all-new, so not based on previous 1/24 Monogram G-body kits. We finally get a stock GM 307 V8! :lol:

Good to see Revell putting some work into a rather nice kit ('48 Ford convertible) to produce another variant, too.

This was already done by AMT a few years back?

Yes, and by Revell, too, when the diecast thing was still hot. At least Revell has a proper '69 Yenko Camaro kit to offer versus whatever RC2 threw in the box in 2005.

I can remember a lot of different Fast and Furious stuff from AMT, but not a Yenko, or Baldwin 427 '69 Camaro, and since it has the Fast and Furious logo just in front of the picture of the kit, that was my guess.

RC2/AMT released an F&F '69 Yenko Camaro based off the old MPC Camaro tooling about 10 years ago..it had a poorly shaped roof, IIRC..

Edited by Rob Hall

It makes sense. Revell has their great '69 Camaro with Yenko variation. They have the Fast & Furious licensing after Fast 7. 2 Fast, 2 Furious is thirteen years old at this point. All they have to do is tool up some new wheels (if there isn't something passable in inventory), draw up new decals and Step 3 - PROFIT.

RC2/AMT released an F&F '69 Yenko Camaro based off the old MPC Camaro tooling about 10 years ago..it had a poorly shaped roof, IIRC..

That's probably why I don't remember it, it's not a very memorable kit and definitely doesn't look much like a '69 Camaro. Revell already has a release under the Fast and Furious promotion, it's one of their tuner series kits just reboxed I don't even think they changed the decals. 

Thanks for reminding me of this release, this getting old thing is really getting old?

Has anyone noticed on the ROG site, they're showing a 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental?  Any information on this kit?  It looks nice:

http://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/cars/young-oldtimer/id/07459.html

Pretty sure that is older tooling that Revell USA has issued a number of times. IIRC it was gold colored on the box last time.

Looking forward to the '30 A coupe (which we all already knew about) and glad to see the '83 H/O is finally here.

Pleasant surprise on that stock '48 coupe, been wishing for that to eventually happen, but didn't actually expect it.  Never got the Revell chopped coupe since the roof just didn't appeal to me, and I missed the boat on the IMC coupes, since they were before my time.

The Cutlass- if they don't muff this one, pending further news of any other variants, I'm in for at least one. If this one is set up for easy modification, this is no joke, I'll buy a case of the things- there are so many Supremes I want to do, it isn't funny, including both of the ones my mother had. If MCG steps up and does the photo-etch for all the scripts and the lower mouldings, once I can figure out how to modify the interiors properly, I'm in good shape and can make a whole series of nice cars with little extra trouble. 

Charlie Larkin

Shoot , MCG can easily do a photo-etch set for just all the different 81-86 Cutlass grille variations!  There's easily a half dozen different grille patterns for this basic front end design, between the different years and different trim levels, such as basic Cutlass Supreme vs. Calais, etc.  Definitely would be nice to get the badging and rocker moldings, too.

I agree, if Revell has gotten this one right (along with the rumored follow-up 442), I'm looking at buying several.  Never owned one of these Cutlasses myself (we were a Monte Carlo family), but there were LOTS of these cutlasses in my past, owned by friends, relatives, co-workers, neighbors, etc.

Shoot , MCG can easily do a photo-etch set for just all the different 81-86 Cutlass grille variations!  There's easily a half dozen different grille patterns for this basic front end design, between the different years and different trim levels, such as basic Cutlass Supreme vs. Calais, etc.  Definitely would be nice to get the badging and rocker moldings, too.

I agree, if Revell has gotten this one right (along with the rumored follow-up 442), I'm looking at buying several.  Never owned one of these Cutlasses myself (we were a Monte Carlo family), but there were LOTS of these cutlasses in my past, owned by friends, relatives, co-workers, neighbors, etc.

Don't forget the 1986 Salon and the 1987 models, and the 1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic with the half-grilles, although getting the composite headlamps could be interesting. MCG could also do the standard wheel-discs and maybe even the wires and hood ornaments (the crest for the Canadian-built cars and the Rocket for the U.S.-built cars.)

My major concern with doing this, though, would be, as stated above, all the interior modifications. An enterprising resin-caster could get very wealthy doing standard bench seats and Brougham interiors with those beautiful pillow-tufted seats. 

My mom had two '86s. One standard car with the 231 and a Brougham with the 307. The Brougham was a very nice car, and I miss it. I've actually been glancing around casually for a Cutlass, and if the right one presented itself at the right time, I'd go for it.

Charlie Larkin