Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 65 Belvedere I

Dave Metzner

I like this new one. Put me down for a few! I have the hardtop and I'm wanting this one even more. I like the street toy vibe. With some parts swapping, it can be made into something more stock- but then again, who keeps them stock??? I'm especially looking forward to the drag radials. 

A buddy of mine has a 1:1 '65 Satellite hardtop. It was a clean old car when he bought it about 15 years ago. It was built with a gold body, gold interior (with buckets and console) and a cream painted top. He kept the stock 273 in it for quite some time, and added Cragars to the front and kept body color steelies (no caps) in the back. He added a Hemi hood scoop. 

He doesn't have the cash to build a 'correct' Hemi for it (moot anyway, as the only factory Hemis that year were sedans) so instead, he built what I call the doomsday engine ('cause it looked so Bad on the stand)- a 440 with a Max Wedge top end. He put that in, so the car is fun and has a great vintage vibe. 

My point is: my friend's car isn't 100% correct, but it gets a LOT of attention, and is a lot of fun. I think this is how many of your true "street toys" end up. 

I think this kit has been equipped just right. The buildup with the hubcaps could almost pass for an FBI car.

I hate to keep being a negative nelly. And I really want this kit much more so than the hardtop.

But as far as I know NO 426 wedge ( max or otherwise )  ever used the large oval  air cleaner shown. and on a RB series engine,,,,Chrome valve covers were 426 street wedge only

The oval air cleaner is 426 Hemi Only

I don't think there were any Max Wedge cars built in 65.

I hate to keep being a negative nelly. And I really want this kit much more so than the hardtop.

But as far as I know NO 426 wedge ( max or otherwise )  ever used the large oval  air cleaner shown. and on a RB series engine,,,,Chrome valve covers were 426 street wedge only

The oval air cleaner is 426 Hemi Only

This kit represents a modern street machine, not a 100% factory stock model.  Beside the parts listed above it also comes with bucket seats, 5 spoke mag wheels and street radial tires.  It also has the super stock style exhaust with the removable caps.

Swap out the skinny tires and dual exhaust from the Satellite and along with a single 4bbl carb, manifold and stock air cleaner and you have a pretty accurate factory Police Package Belvedere.

-Steve

Chris, Chicago PD did not use the 65 Belvedere, they used the Fury.  64 was the last B-body they used.

To add to what Steve posted, here is a photo of the interior of a restored original San Jose PD car, which is a 64 Savoy with the individual bucket seats, and the car is a 4 door as well.

PA064230.JPG

PA064235.JPG

I don't think there were any Max Wedge cars built in 65.

correct my mistake i ccompletely forgot about that.

My disappointment is the fact these tires will be in the upcoming missle car  will be completly wrong...

I dont undestwnd tooling up all new tires that arent correct for the advertised kit in any way shape or form.

if the roof remains unchanged will only make it worst.

My disappointment is the fact these tires will be in the upcoming missle car  will be completly wrong...

I dont undestwnd tooling up all new tires that arent correct for the advertised kit in any way shape or form.

Not sure what your refering to. The buildup pics of the Missle show pie crust slicks out back.

I think a slant six and an auto will find a home in my FIRST one. I swear, some people cry over the dumbest stuff. There are enough Mopars of the approximate

vintage to make whatever combination you desire. Would a bench seat be wanted? Absolutely, but I'm sure I'll come up with something. By the way, there is no

visual difference between a 413, a 426W or a 440. So the intake and air cleaner are off. The stuff is out there. About the only engine that isn't out there is the

318 poly engine that Chrysler used until 1966.   

Chris, Chicago PD did not use the 65 Belvedere, they used the Fury.  64 was the last B-body they used.

Oh, yeah - I should have specified that I'm building a "movie car" rather than a real police car: the '65 Belvedere from the movie Cooley High. The movie was set in late fall 1964; they didn't have a huge budget and a lot of newer cars show up in it.

I just got my production sample minutes ago,  I'll have photos later.   I can confirm that the 4bbl intake, carb and air cleaner is carried over from the Satellite kit as an option vs the 2x4bbl parts and the Hemi style air cleaner.  There are 6 tires, all modern radials so you can either do 4 standard width or big and littles.  Same goes for the wheels.  Both the steelies and chromed mags wheels have 6 each to include a wider pair to go with the optional wider rear tires

The chrome tree also has a few extra goodies to speculate on some future version(s).   All the above parts will also work on the previously released Satellite kit for those who want to build it as a street machine too.   

Watch for a new post later today ...

-Steve