Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Cutlass 442 Convertible - the newest release

Kmb0319

So, when the Holidays came, I finally had some commission coming in, and had a few projects I couldn't wait to get to work on.  There wad ere three builds I was absolutely dying to get into.  I have already built and posted the '70 Hemi Cuda (Revell's newest version) and turned the Revell 67 Camaro into the Better Off Dead car. The third was the Olds 442 convertible re-release.  I never knew that Revell had released a 442 model in all my time away from the hobby, so I missed the previous versions.  As it turned out, I ordered the new Pace Car 442 on the first day it arrived from Model Roundup.

While I really liked the Hurst version, I knew I wasn't going with the Pace Car or a "normal" Hurst...  I wanted to build a straight 442, without the W-30 hood.  Thend, when the kit arrived, my decision was confirmed when I opened the box.  No offense to anyone....  I understand the historical significance and wouldn't ever have a negative thought towards anyone who used it, but personally, I find model people to be a little odd, and the pre-painted Linda Vaughn figure was just plain creepy to me.  So what to do with this car?

Looking at reference pics, I knew I wanted a bright color, and I wanted a white interior.  In the end, I fell into a color I'd used before and really liked... my Testors Nassau Blue. I used automotive clear, the same one I got in a can when I bought the verdoro green that I used on the Cuda.  A few build notes:

• The kit is amazing in its detail and the way everything fits together, but I had one issue that plagued me.  I couldn't get the engine to fit in properly.  Maybe I mounted the cross-beam a little too far back, or my headers were a little off... not sure.  I just couldn't get it to fit.  In the end, it's a little tilted.  I'm completely positive it's entirely my error... 28 yrs off is sure to generate a little rust.  Just frustrating.
  • The weakest part of this kit is the tires. I also bought the 69 COPO Camaro during the Holidays, and realized the tires are the same ones as this kit.  Really??  I was complaining that the kit tires were too small in the COPO kit for the Camaro... and they put the same tires in the box for a 442???  I bought some aftermarket tires from Fireball Modelworks, but they didn't quite work.  In the meantime, I bought the AMT '68 Road Runner, and the Polyglas GTs there were somewhat more useable, so they are on the car now
  • Speaking of the same issue, why does Revell insist on such tiny wheels?  Three of the last 4 "Level 3" Revell kits I've built... the 68 Charger, the 67 Camaro and this kit all have scale 14" wheels, while most other kits and tires are 15".  So, upgrading those tiny, crappy tires are nearly impossible.  It was a horrible task trying to keep the wheels and wheel backs from falling through the middle, but in the end, it's OK.  Just don't pick it up, or at least two wheels will fall apart.  Ugh....
  • Wired the engine, used my battery cables and seat belts.  The interior is incredible in the sharpness of the molding, making it a pleasure to detail paint

On to the pics... first, a few WIP shots:

The 455 is REALLY nice in this kit

72_442_WIP_2.thumb.jpg.5f8e9ca4d7ceca9f8

Got the door panels painted up before decals:

72_442_WIP_3.thumb.jpg.9d57c8eac9aefac60

Chassis is good, but another mistake:  I couldn't get the drivetrain to fit, so I cut it down.  Then the engine wouldn't fit, so I ended up moving it forward, leaving the driveshaft short now.  OOPS

72_442_WIP_5.thumb.jpg.003db0b970eba961d

Interior pan before assembly.  With this being a convertible, had to purchase the floor mats, as they'd be seen in this kit

72_442_WIP_6.thumb.jpg.4f692ae2ec22bc85c

With detail paint and decals, this dash is superb.  The wood grain decals are outstanding!

72_442_WIP_8.thumb.jpg.c4ba0583e97cba5fa

Interior together, complete with seatbelts

72_442_WIP_9.thumb.jpg.4b64b8fd8f9c8e29b

Right before final assembly and adding my stripes, had to get a quick shot

72_442_WIP_17.thumb.jpg.773f69d2f6c2c9d4

And, FINISHED:

72_442_1.thumb.jpg.7abacefba0521351b5084

72_442_3.thumb.jpg.593bf0079054345ce701f

72_442_4.thumb.jpg.9b4be879f644e7b1f3f76

72_442_5.thumb.jpg.12b7c6f11806c5758a7b0

72_442_7.thumb.jpg.9e2d80723ef04c20711a2

72_442_8.thumb.jpg.eae1fba567855941cd7ae

All in all, this is a great model.  I'm fairly happy with my version, but not thrilled.  And I must promise myself that I will now slowly back away from the Nassau blue:

70_Camaro_7.thumb.jpg.0ea23a797c283312d5

• 2 weeks later...

That is very nice. Wait 'til you see what I am doing to mine!!

Ron, I've seen some of your work, including, I believe, the last release of this kit in red with some Cragars??  I'm looking forward to seeing what you have done with the new version!