Model Cars Magazine Forum

Three Odd Questions

Question One, Alternative scale to use for tractor tires? Want to scratch build a farm type tractor so what scale tires to use if primary scale is 1/25th?

Two, Recently opened an old bottle of acrylic paint and it popped like a champagne bottle and a wisp of smoke appeared as I took of the bottle cap. Has this happened to anyone and what could have made it happen?

Three, I have an old, approx. 20 yrs, can of Testors rattle can paint never used, will it still be good to use?

Thanks I hope these are not too stupid??

1) To determine what size tires you need to represent farm-tractor tires in 1/25 scale, you first need to know the diameter of the real ones. Divide that number by 25, and you will have the diameter of a model tire that will look right, height-wise, for a tractor. Compare that to the diameters of whatever tires you're looking at, and you have your answer. BUT...The ratio of the diameter of a tractor tire to the rim is entirely different from a car or truck tire, so they're not really going to look right. You might be able to find some monster-truck tires that will get you closer, but you'll have to make custom wheels, probably.

ERTL made a couple of 1/25 tractor kits that are pretty pricey now, and there are also die-cast tractors out there in 1/24 and 1/25. You may be able to find a broken die-cast tractor on Ebay that has what you need.

EDIT: Here's a 1/25 scale Kubota for $20, tires, wheels and all.    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yonezawa-Diapet-1-25-Scale-Diecast-Kubota-Tractor-Made-in-Japan-/111879057638?hash=item1a0c82f0e6:g:Q2sAAOSwGotWnZzb

2) Never experienced that.

3) If they still rattle (and it will probably take some extended shaking to get the mixing ball broken loose), and IF the propellant hasn't leaked out, they MAY spray. The dip-tube at the bottom of old cans tends to clog with age, and it's not always possible to clear it. Even if you can, you may get spitting and bits of hard trash coming out.

If you get the ball rattling, you can always decant the paint and use it in your airbrush.

IF the can hasn't leaked any solvents, the paint itself should still be just fine.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On the rattle can paint, you might try setting the can in warm water covering the can about 50%. Try shaking it for a good five minutes or more before trying to spray. Get some plastic spoons to test the spray. You might get lucky.  

I finished a "stalled" build last year that I had started in the late 90's and the Dupli-Color paint that I had already painted some parts was still good and there was enough to spray the body. Of course I did try out the paint on a spare hood, only because it was so old, as I usually don't do any "spoon testing."

If you were to find a farm Toy Show there are usually guys there who sell parts and pieces to restore old toys. One guy local to me has about 15 different sizes of tractor tires and wheels along with a bunch of other parts. That way you can actually look the parts over in your hands before you buy. A little better than buying off of ebay on an "I think that looks right" hunch.

You might look at the Ertl farm tractor die-casts for the tires...?

Unfortunately, Ertl die cast farm tractors do not come in 1/24 or 1/25 scale. But measuring things like Ace suggested, and perhaps sickig with the 1/32 scale tractors they offer, one could probably come up with something usable. In addition, there are a few companies that do make 1/24 and 1/24 scale farm and construction equipment, Scale Models has a few, and the mentioned Kubota die cast as well.

I'm not really sure why Ertl (now owned by Takara-Tomy) does not produce their die cast in 1/24-1/25 scale, considering that they do produce many die cast trucks with farm related paint schemes. Only thing I can think of is that 1/16 is the traditional scale for toy farm equipment, with 1/32 and 1/64 working easily off that scale for smaller versions.

I wish they could have brought back the Ertl International and Massey farm tractor kits they were nice.

I agree. I've managed to get the John Deere tractor and backhoe, and the Massey 1155, plus the Deere and Massey wagons. I came across the Sprit of '76 Massey at a show, but it was a little more than I had to spend at the time. The IH is getting really hard to find, and is pricey when you do find it. It does make me wonder who has the molds, if Ertl/Takara-Tomy has them or if they're in Round 2s inventory.