Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:25th Motor Max '86 Dodge Diplomat A38 Police Package modified diecast

swede70

Greetings,

This is a project I'm in essence doing again for having sold off my first effort, whereas for recording impression and past directions explored, perhaps others can be saved time.  The base model is a $13.95 Motor Max 1986 Dodge Diplomat combined with various wheel combinations as described.  Auto paint shop interior vinyl color dye in an aerosol can navy blue was employed for the interior, although it seems the MM CHP release does include a blue interior as-delivered if one wishes to save a bit of effort here. 

Fresh_Cherries_Diplomat_A38_11.thumb.jpg

...my dear topic then. 

Fresh_Cherries_Diplomat_A38_3.thumb.jpg.Fresh_Cherries_Diplomat_A38_5.thumb.jpg.

...this would be the Motor Max model combined with 1:25th AMT '65 GTO Rally I wheels, and then combined with chrome plated hand cast resin Modelhaus MPC '77 Fury poverty caps.  The ventilation holes on the hubcaps were reproduced by hand, while other modest things that can be made out are the urethane bumper fill panels painted silver on this light blue metallic replica.  The tires are 1:24th Monogram Goodyear GT Radials mostly seen within the space of their '70 Challenger T/A release.  The tires have to be filed to expand the center diameter a bit, but otherwise work well on this application. 

Fresh_Cherries_Diplomat_A38_6.thumb.jpg.Fresh_Cherries_Diplomat_A38_7.thumb.jpg.

...looking hardly different, this would be the same model fitted out with Monogram '70 Roadrunner optional police six-slot pressed steel wheels with the same hubcaps as before.  Wishing to reproduce the brushed finish on the center of each cap, I employed a cotton swab and silver paint and spun each assembly before applying a small amount of half-dried color.  Further, some panel lines were made a bit more prominent for an application of black wash. 

-

I'm working on another example which will be photographed to flesh out this thread employing the new Fireball Modelworks rendition of the classic Chrysler Corp. police car wheels to hopefully improve matters again.   The windows on my new effort will be tinted blue/green, while other small matters will be seen too consistent with extracting the most from this otherwise homely model.  For example, fairly resilient chrome foil stolen from some otherwise garish center table graduation display will be cut and positioned to bring the clear headlamps to life from behind. Thanks for reviewing this short thread...

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind notice...

Diplomat_two_002.thumb.JPG.2d30c47030d51

...this would be a pair of table decorations picked up to employ as reflector material behind the otherwise clear headlamp lenses.  Unlike Bare Metal Foil, the backing on this stuff is rather thick and can be easily trimmed to whatever shape is desired.

Diplomat_two_001.thumb.JPG.b0cd085e50809

...a bit fuzzy this image, but how matters appear for using the stuff seen above in tandem with some clear nail polish lacquer to hold matters fast.

Diplomat_one_002.thumb.JPG.a54c18ade3cb6

...this would be the new wheels in place on the new Diplomat model.  All will be removed to paint the brakes discs and drums.  Note the tinted glass with the sunscreen just visible here, whereas the side indicator lamps up front have been touched it to ensure they'll be a bit more prominent.  Though well nigh invisible, the navy blue 1:1 vinyl interior refinish spray has been used hear and reflects back a nice semi-gloss tone.

Diplomat_one_003.thumb.JPG.cbebae86d8935

...the urethane body to bumper fill panels were painted silver and appear a bit more distinct than on my first effort.  Black wash is seen employed underneath the rear doors and towards the back of the panels, while the trunk lid and fuel inlet door also received some attention in this regard.  Not strictly noticed is a reduction in the rear track which is slightly narrower now and better for it.  Scrubbing down the tire tread to even matters out and scrubbing in some Armor All to restore the tone of the tires also helped.

Diplomat_one_006.thumb.JPG.6db2b178d77ed

...a license plate holder has been fabricated and added here, while the tampo-printed reversing lamps have been replaced with Fred Cady white decal stock cut to suit.  Notice also that the small 'chrome' pillar before the C-pillars proper has been extended top and bottom versus the first iteration of the Diplomat where this detail is incomplete or truncated.  Thanks for skimming this brief update.

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.0ca2e658229eabf384da327Ah,you hit a soft spot in my favorite types of PO-PO,? cars.The good ole'Dodge Diplomat.I have a small collefction of different kinds,and scales of police cars.Some marked,some unmarked.Here are a few of the Diplomats in my collection.I added a few details,such as some antennas,along with some different police officers inside their cars,doing some paperwork.While other are drawing their guns out of their cars.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very neat!  Thanks for the kind comments and interest displayed.  Since I last posted combined the resin wheel covers with the resin wheels, although after doing so it seemed that the caps stuck out a bit more than I'd desire.  Absent the hub caps, the resin pressed steel six-slot wheels are really outstanding, but maybe less so with the caps in place.  I ended up removing the resin wheels and substituting in the Monogram '70 Roadrunner wheels and combining these with drilled ventilation hole Police-spec hubcaps that I sent to a vacuum chroming outfit to come up with what seemed the best compromise.  I'll attach a photo or two to this post in a week or so, taking care to also include a shot of my then-prized 1983 A38 Plymouth Gran Fury with was equipped with everything but the accessory oil cooler; i.e. 4BBL 318, light blue silicone hoses, the small oil pressure gauge, the 125 mph instrument cluster, as well as what factory stereo equipment could be retrofitted from the then common Fifth Avenue iteration of the venerable M-body.  Oh - and yes, it did have twin functional spotlights as well as the disc-style interior roof light!  Again, flattered I am to notice this thread resurrected...

Diplomat_1.thumb.JPG.a61c98185e370de85aa

Diplomat_6.thumb.JPG.32695f8d3a1613402a5

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70