Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 Roadster FINISHED

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the car but I made some progress on the seat and frame. Got the first seat cushion done, the other will feature a similar pattern. Started on my transmission cross member as well.  I am going to build an x brace off it like you would see on a lot of your traditional hot rods. 

IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

• 1 year later...

I've had a year and a half hiatus from modeling building but now I am back on the bench! Going to have a lot of updates on this roadster in the coming weeks. First off I painted this car the last time I worked on it and it looked terrible, can't seem to find a picture of it either. This will nearly be a fresh start on this car. Over the last year I have gained a lot of interest in traditional hot rods and customs. So upon returning to this build I noticed some issues with the revell kit. I am going to rework the rear frame rails and quarter panels. For this build I am considering a dry lakes style racer like pictured below. 

20292513_1499833276722662_1928817313_n.t

I started tonight by cutting out the rest of the quarter away from the interior panels. I'm going to attach them to the body, they are also recessed a little far in so I'm going to bring them out closer to the edge of the body. 

20317021_1499827973389859_809780121_o.th

Next I figured I would attempt to install a proper looking x member. This one was a junk frame I had laying around, I believe it was from a late 40s ford. I cut it out which as you can see its going to take a little modifying to get it right. 20401011_1499827916723198_539686926_n.th20290042_1499827900056533_276783804_n.th

Edited by 502

The original mock-up looked really good. You got the stance adjusted just right with the shaved spring and flat front cross member. Nice work installing the '48 center X. I put Revell '40 and '48 X's in my model frames all the time because they give the whole chassis a more vintage appearance and they just look bitchin'!

This is right up my alley. Will be following along!

B)

Thanks Dennis, I believe I follow you on instagram. I always love seeing your builds. For this build I'm just building a bare bones hotrod. I need to pick up some speed parts for my flat head. Tonight I started on the interior. I cut the stock panels out and scratch built my own. 

IMG_1018.thumb.JPG.883d775ff213dad77198dIMG_1022.thumb.JPG.ee6f496997fafa314ef7eIMG_1020.thumb.JPG.e881b31091d216d37bdc1

Edited by 502

I agree with Dennis, your initial stance is not to be tampered with. Here's hoping it survives the build process - I know in some cases these things have a tendency to drift. I'm especially interested in how the rear end sits since it looks like you haven't done anything to the back of the chassis. Is that just a mockup or is that how the kit Deuce rails and rear suspension actually sit? I'm asking because I have one of these waiting to be built and I want to achieve the "low highboy" stance you nailed in those first pictures. I know when I recently did the channeled version I had to be absolutely merciless not only in getting the nose down, but the rear end as well. The standard OOB Revell stance is always soooooooo high!

Bernard the rear is stock, thats using all the original mounts with the coil spring setup. I'm going to be changing mine to a quick change rear with a spring over axle setup for a more traditional look but I'll be keeping that stance. For the front I shaved the spring and installed a new crossmember which is a piece of c channel. I had to notch the rail just enough to allow the spring to clear.