Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Dodge Charger 1/1 Copy update 05/11/16

72 Charger

Nice work so far, I am also tryin to build a copy of my 1:1, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Yours looks great I'm for sure a Mopar fan.

Bob Hi yes I  thought that I had bitten off more than I could chew too but a bit of planning and things are moving on . I am just about to start flatting out the lacquer ready of polishing

Just got the body flatted ready for polish more pics soon ^_^

Thanks to all who commented it has given me a bit of a boost to get some work done

I like to let my paint sit for a week to harden off before I flat lacquer .

John has given me some of the polish that he uses and he polished one side of the hood . Then said I have to match the shine on the other side :wacko:....!

I am polishing it buy hand he has used a mini power polisher . I hope I don't polish my fingers off :D

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

Edited by 72 Charger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update motor is getting their HT leads and manifolds rusted with powders . The from grill is the original kit one as the one I got from Missing link is to wide . Wheels have had the backs sanded off to open up the holes in the rims and fit the back plates.

I have just started to cut out the 71 bulged hood this is for two reasons the first is that the hood it has now is from a 74 charger and it does not fit as well as I would like . The second is that the original hood has the vents at the back .

So I have chopped out the bulge and let in a slightly bent plasticard insert to match the contour of the hood . I will have to come up with some way of adding the peak down the middle

As always if anyone is interested in this comments welcomed good OR bad

:)

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

Great work on the rims Dave, they always look better with the holes open rather than painted black. I had no issues with my bumper from Missing Link fitting, how far off is yours? And I never even noticed the lack of vents at the back of the '74 hood, I may have to start hacking and see if I can't get it right before I set off on my replica.

Great work on the rims Dave, they always look better with the holes open rather than painted black. I had no issues with my bumper from Missing Link fitting, how far off is yours? And I never even noticed the lack of vents at the back of the '74 hood, I may have to start hacking and see if I can't get it right before I set off on my replica.

Hi Mike thanks yes the rims look loads better than just painted . the Missing link bumper is about 2mm to wide for the body. But the rear bumper fits a treat go figure?

The vents at the rear of the 72 hood needs to have a small bit filled in the middle and it is a lot thinner plastic than the 74 hood. Plus the 74 hood has a different shape at the front edge. Not a major problem I just have to go and see John the painter to match the paint once the bodywork is complete.

I'm still not sure about the tires they look to big for the front and they hit the front apron so I may have to try to get 1/25th not 1/24.

I am not sure but the wheels don't line up in the fenders to well like the wheel base is to long. Anyone have any ideas on how to shorten it?

Here is the 72 hood next to the 74 hood. I just have to add the peak down the middle and fill the centre part of the vent. You can see the different shape of the front which is where I had problems fitting the 74 hood . Plus it is a lot thicker than the 72 hood . Which ment it stood proud of the body once the bumper was added.

Comments welcome :)

IMG_1718.JPG

Thanks Lloyd / Dan . I have to get the hood filled and sanded out so I can get it off to John the painter . Thankfully I still have some of the original paint to do it . Then I have to get the interior painted.

Then I have to try to sort out the little problem of the wheel base being to long . But after looking at other builds of this kit it looks like I may just have to put up with it...?

Thanks Lloyd / Dan . I have to get the hood filled and sanded out so I can get it off to John the painter . Thankfully I still have some of the original paint to do it . Then I have to get the interior painted.

Then I have to try to sort out the little problem of the wheel base being to long . But after looking at other builds of this kit it looks like I may just have to put up with it...?

One thing to be mindful of regarding the chassis assembly : the driveshaft is a hair too long . That bulges the axle housing backward if you can even get the shaft into the transmission and the differential carrier .

Another consideration ; the windscreen's base (under the cowl) is too thick . Either eliminate the offencive piece or shave its thickness down considerably .

Too bad about the bonnet . I knew that there was a marked difference between the '71-'72 bonnet and the '73-'74 . The bumper of the '71-'72 has a slight peak in its centre , whereas the '73-'74 is "blunt" .

Keep up the great work !

One thing to be mindful of regarding the chassis assembly : the driveshaft is a hair too long . That bulges the axle housing backward if you can even get the shaft into the transmission and the differential carrier .

Another consideration ; the windscreen's base (under the cowl) is too thick . Either eliminate the offencive piece or shave its thickness down considerably .

Too bad about the bonnet . I knew that there was a marked difference between the '71-'72 bonnet and the '73-'74 . The bumper of the '71-'72 has a slight peak in its centre , whereas the '73-'74 is "blunt" .

Keep up the great work !

John thanks for the heads up about the screen.  I think that I will be replaceing the glass now :D. Yes there seems to me a lot of difference between the two hoods . 

I had no issues with the wheelbase on this kit, or the windows, and I've built two of them. Both had aftermarket wheels, but no changes to the suspension.What problems are you having?

The three that I've built ( two of the standard R/T kits , and a modified Street Machine version that I put the 340 from the Duster in , hooked to the kit's Torqueflite ) all had issues with the windscreen's lower-edge-mounting-segment (under the cowl)  interfering with the body-to-chassis ( really , the dashboard ) mounting process .

I also recognised that the driveshaft is a hair too long ; it needed to have a small section cut ( I cut its centre about 1/4" ) so that it would properly fit .

Edited by 1972coronet

I had no issues with the wheelbase on this kit, or the windows, and I've built two of them. Both had aftermarket wheels, but no changes to the suspension.What problems are you having?

Mike if you look at the side on picture you can see that the front wheel is very nearly touching the fender and if I turn the wheel L/R it hits . The wheels and tires have been changed to 1/24th but that shouldn't change the lenth of the chassis ? . I haven't got as far as fitting the driveshaft but I have changed the engine to the smaller 340ci so I will have to check that