Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Dodge Charger 1/1 Copy update 05/11/16

72 Charger

Hi all im about to start a copy of my 1/1 1972 Dodge Charger . Im starting with the AMT 71 Charger kit as this is the closest body shape to the base model that my car is. As you can see I have filled the maker lights and the door slots.

I have a PE set from MCG for the scripts and a front and rear bumper set from Missing link.

Stay tuned more to come later

^_^

Edited by 72 Charger

Here is the parts from MCG missing link and BF Goodrich tires from joseph at Fireball Modelworks . the engine in my car is a 318 ci the closest I could find is a 340ci . The gearbox was swapped from a manual to automatic.

The door panels have to be cut up to get the correct wood grain and padding . The new padded parts came from a 74Charger kit glue bomb kit

:)

IMG_7710.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

Edited by 72 Charger
pics removed

Good stuff. I always like to see a certain year kit or car kit changed into another year. Taking a 71 and making a 72 out of it  ( way cool ) at least that is what I think. I always wanted to take the amt 69 chevelle kit and back date it to a 68. Are the Missing Link bumpers 72 also how much different are the 71 bumpers compared to the 72? I'm just curious. Please keep us posted on your progress and Thank you.       Jeff 

Hi Jeff the differences are the hood has no bulge the doors don't have the slots and the marker lights are rectangle coloured plastic instead for two flush lights. As for the bumpers they are the same but my car has the pop up doors like the 68/69 cars and the rear lights are rectangle instead of 3 squares.

Thanks for your interest

Dave, I'm going to be doing the same conversion once I can find some Firestone S/S Radials, that's my holdup. I've got all the parts you have from Missing Link, and a set of hideaway headlight grilles that I got from Smblkdodge Resins, but their website is currently down, so I don't know where you can find them.Mine was Butterscotch with a White half vinyl top, and a Dark Green interior...yes, it came from the factory that way! I had a bunch of oddball options, along with a 318 like yours. So my interior is almost a perfect match for the AMT kit, just swap for an automatic and make it an ugly green and I'll be set! 

A bit of Silver paint and a PE Charger script and they'll be good to go, they fit beautifully in the kit grille or the Missing Link one!

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,skddssrkbtrftkfxtbbfqgtgtsbk,vi/rfgbbsgssxwstbrdkqb/1/879761/10405065/TheBeast0008-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike
Photo, spelling

Hi Olaf (Custom Mike) My car has the half vinyl roof which has a turtle shell effect to it. Which I have still to find anything to replicate it yet...!

I have got some headlight doors from the Dukes of hazard kit they fit ok but they are a bit to short so I may make them functional ?

My car came from the factory in light metallic green with the dark green interior .

My biggest problem is going to be the fact that the wheels are a little bit to small for the tires . Im going to have to make a sleeve for the rims ?

Thanks for that Steve I will try to track down a set. Yes I think she I sweet too :P Still have to name her though...?

Mine earned the name "The Beast", she was tough as nails, I got the original 318 up to 293,000 miles before it finally gave up on me. Have you done the upper/lower ball joints and inner/outer tie rod ends on your yet? Mine would last between 113,000 and 117,000  miles before they had to be replaced. It was an issue with that particular body style, when the Charger finally had to be sent to the junkyard, I bought a '71 Road Runner (340 automatic, Dark Green Metallic, Green full vinyl top, Green interior, that car hated my guts and wanted me dead!), the same problems with the front suspension popped up on it at the same mileage range. And my vinyl top was the normal white vinyl, take a picture of the top and post it, I've never seen one like that.

Oh, and my name is actually Mike (It's hidden at the bottom of my posts), I stuck the Olaf in there to mess with people...if you're not having fun, you're not living!

Edited by Custom Mike

Mike the upper ball joints have been done already but not the bottom or tie rods as far as I know? But now you have told me im sure I will get them done :D She has 94,000 on the clock . Im very new to owning a yank so im still learning :unsure: I will get a pic of the roof for you . I have never seen a roof like it before either it's very unusual . I have a little problem with the head light doors at the moment , I have changed the motor but now the doors work in reverse ? I think it's the relay and I think there is some kind of upgrade for it but I cant find much info on it . im sure I will figure it out

Did a conversion of the '71 R/T to a base model for my brother.  It came out really nice.  The worst part was the hood.  I carved out the big hood scoop area and made it flat with the peak down the center.  The dash was a fun conversion with the linear speedo and gauges.  Need to find pictures....

I will be interested in watching this build.  I have been wanting to build a 72 with Missing Link's conversion for a few years.  I want a non bulge hood but not sure where you find one for the 71 kit.   I think your Charger is a Topper Pkg?  

I will be interested in watching this build.  I have been wanting to build a 72 with Missing Link's conversion for a few years.  I want a non bulge hood but not sure where you find one for the 71 kit.   I think your Charger is a Topper Pkg?  

David, I got my flat hood from Missing Link also, I believe it's from the old MPC '74 Charger kit, but who knows, all I know is it's a dead-on match for the flat hood I had on the car (Except the underside, but I'll live with it!), ask if they still produce it, that's how I found out they had it!

David, I got my flat hood from Missing Link also, I believe it's from the old MPC '74 Charger kit, but who knows, all I know is it's a dead-on match for the flat hood I had on the car (Except the underside, but I'll live with it!), ask if they still produce it, that's how I found out they had it!

I don't think Missing Link still makes the hood.  Thanks looking forward to this build.  

I don't think Missing Link still makes the hood.  Thanks looking forward to this build.  

I don't know if they still make the hood I got mine from another member . The hood I have does not have the vents at the back so I may still have to cut up both hoods to get the correct one .