Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1968 ROAD RUNNER HEADER INFO......

.....this won't be the hot tip for today for the Chrysler / Mopar drag builders I'm sure, but thought I would share some info for this build that I just was playing around with. if you are not impressed with the headers that AMT provides in the Roadrunner  and GTX kits,  the nice race style headers from the Revell 67 GTX  kits and 67 coronet Drag on lady  coronet seem to fit nicely, without any pain. I'm starting a 68 'runner to build as a late 60s-early 70s super stock or mod. prod. car, so gathering up  the goodies is first as we know. anyhow, I had a couple extra sets of these around, and they seem to do the job nicely. also, that stock oil pan in the 'runner Hemi is easily made into a deep race pan with some plastic added , then worked out a bit. so, don't turf it for another until you spend an hour or 2 modifying that stock one...it too will do nicely. just thought I'd pass this info along for some that it may end up being useful ................regards,...the Ace......:D

good to know...thanks

and just to build on what you've told us---the headers in the AMT '66 Nova will fit the Revell tri-five Chevy kits with very little work, and the headers from the Revell '69 Nova can be used on the AMT '67 and '68 Camaros.

Edited by berr13

....your welcome, boys.....hopefully, I will press on and actually BUILD a kit for a change....lol...........this has tons of potential, but as you probably know, this 68 RR kit has some strange issues. lets see if  some grinding it out for a few days yields a result,,,,if nothing else, the headers should look great.....lol.....:lol::lol:......the Ace........

Great tip.  I can add to it, when I built my nasty hemi for my 71 duster I wanted everything to fit like it would if it had come that way. I used the hemi and headers from the 68 dart as they share a platform in real life.  Here are the results

they will fit with the torsion bars and stock steering but I switched to coilovers and rack and pinion steering just because I could. Lol.  

....I'm working on my first ever build of this kit presently, and am enjoying it, but as you guys know, this kit has some issues. anyhow, I'll soldier on an correct some, live with some others... just glad the Revel  headers fit nicely, and when I deepened the stock oil pan to the 8 quart look, everything  slips in perfectly. lots done so far, but tons to go....building a late 60s- early 70s era modified production class car with it, something like Sox and Martins, Lee Smiths, and others similar from that time.....you  know,  with the cross ram Hemi, 65 style hood scoop and all,,.....hopefully, all will come together.....best regards, boys, and incidentally, if any of you want to throw in your 2 cents worth about ideas, or your building experiences with this 'runner kit, I'm all ears.....thanks, the Ace........;)