Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack Western 700 series questions

After the green steel dashes of the late 60's and early 70's,Mack went to a brown/beige interior with a plastic dash.I believe the Western's followed suit.Some time in the mid 70's I rode with a guy in a Western conventional and I almost remember the seats being gray?Did you ever check out a website called BigMack Trucks?Lots of neat stuff over there!

Sean, the company that used to work for didn't have any 700L's but they had two 600L's. Both were late 70's early 80's. From what I remember the interior on both were very similar to the rest of the R-Models that the company had. One was a sleeper truck and had a little nicer interior closer to that of the Superliner. I remember that the frames were a little different, and the steering boxes mounted a little differently. The headlight buckets looked slightly narrower (though I never measured them). The engines were all grey like Mack oil filters, but many of those had been rebuilt, so who knows what they were originally.

• 2 weeks later...

the early interiors were a light army type of green color,then they went to the beige color,the easiest way to tell what color the interior was by the hood letters,they started to use larger letters on the front,it almost looked like they went to a capital style of letter for the MACK on the front hood,if you see the 2 of them side by side it is real easy to pick out,this was around 73 or 74,my father had a small fleet of macks,i was only 12 or so,and remember seeing them when they were new.The beige interior was so much better looking,they also went to the curved style dash then too.The dash in the DM600 is pre 74,and the dash in the AMT R600 is post 74. also the hood letters are visibly different too. Harvey