Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rubber Duck Mack {AITM}

My current project is the AITM Rubber Duck Mack.  This is a really nice resin kit with some really fine castings with minimal cleanup . There have only been a few pieces I have not cared for.

There is no real set of directions for this just a well thought out guideline sheet. 

My current progress mainly consist of mockups. 

The kit supplied fuel tanks and I have had a challenge , this is the only casting I did not care for. I have spent the past few days filling, sanding , filling - repeat. Much to my happiness I found some decent side shots online and discovered they are not correct anyway.

New tanks have been cut from pvc pipe and will be used instead.

Here is the kit supplied "half a Mack" which suits me just fine as I will not be cutting the hood from the cab anyway. (I have yet to open a hood or tilt the cab after a model hits the shelf)

I am currently looking for a "plastic" Mack R model dash to replace the resin one in the kit if anybody has a spare.

Thanks for looking in :)

I may have a junker dash Sean, but not sure, I'll look when I get home. You and I have very similar taste. I've always wanted to build one of these. You made a good call on the tanks. There were a few trucks used in the movie. If you look at the seen where the Rubber Duck backs out of the jail building, you will see the truck with the short tanks, but as far as I know that is the only scene that you can see this. Great project! Are you building a trailer too?

Thank you for the reply's and comments - I have located a dash.

Brian - It always amazed me how many different vehicles are used in movies.

Dave - did you go with rubber tires or another set of resin ?

Terry - not sure why on the tanks , but even in today's wealth of information good original pictures are hard to find.

latest update - new fuel tanks.

Thank you for the reply's and comments - I have located a dash.

Brian - It always amazed me how many different vehicles are used in movies.

Dave - did you go with rubber tires or another set of resin ?

Terry - not sure why on the tanks , but even in today's wealth of information good original pictures are hard to find.

latest update - new fuel tanks.

P1264519.jpg

I used rubber tires with resin bud wheels.

P1010011.JPG

Edited by towman1271

Sean I like what you have done so far. Have you looked at www st Louis dump trucks.com they own the original trailer and a very close copy of the Mack . I used the tires from a Revell k100 as they are the closest to the film truck

Dave, does that website still work? I haven't been able to get it to come up lately. The restored truck that they have is supposed to be the original short fuel tank truck if I'm not mistaken. 

Nice work as allways Sean...I have one of these too and one of these days...:rolleyes:
Be sure to fix the air cleaner too as most of the outside scenes truck appearently had a Mack ENDT 676 Tip Turbine engine wich has two air ducts, one for the engine itself and one for the aftercooler.

As far as I know the St Louis Dumptruck truck is one of the trucks used in the movie and so is the tanker they had.
They also had one surviving Duel truck but I have read that they are both sold.

Edited by Force

Dave - Your truck looks like the Duck ! Thank you for posting it - It has been a good reference.

Jacobus - Thank you for the tip on the double intake hoses , and your picture helps a lot.  I would not change the fuel tanks on yours as it looks great as it is.  Mine had several big air pockets in the filler neck which I did not feel like messing with anymore.

Thank you everyone else for looking in and commenting.  I found a gluebomb R cab to where I was able to rob the cab air intake vents.

New tanks look good for length, but too large in diameter?   In the still photos oft he real truck, looks like they only come to about the middle of the air tanks.

That is one of my demons on this truck - but it starts with the battery boxes and air tanks not being of the right size either.  This is my biggest obstacle to try and tame with nothing to work with - it is about to make me nuts.

Looking good Sean, but I think that you may be right about the tanks.

This is supposed to be the main truck from the movie as it looks today

Mack_Rubber_Duck5.thumb.jpg.ae01e4f1eee5

This is supposed to be the restored short tank truck from the movie.

mack_Rubber_Duck_6.thumb.jpg.93067cd1d89

It does look like that the tanks are not below the air tanks on both, but it also looks like either the tanks sit a little higher, or the battery box may sit a little lower. Regardless of a slight difference in the tanks, when you finish this one, I'm sure it will be a convincing Rubber Duck.