Model Cars Magazine Forum

You'd better believe it: Pocher 1/8th 300SL Gullwing

Matt Bacon

It's all over the European sites. This is definitely the Eaglemoss kit. Hence, the fast release time.

It is very well done with the above-mentioned roof seam excepted. Another strange thing missed by both companies is the kick up in the rocker panel aft of the front wheel. Suspect it was cheaper to mold the body without one.

http://cachastyle.blogspot.com/2011/07/picasa-web-albums-sofiaec10-59-fairlane_06.html

EDIT: scroll down the stupid site page to the side view and click on it to enlarge.

Your Mercedes image doesn't open for me. What's a kick up?

He's talking about the fact that the rockers are not straight between the front and rear wheels... there is a definite upward slope beginning at about the leading edge of the doors forward to the front wheelwell. A subtle detail, for sure... but not a dealbreaker for me.

The bottom of the body between the wheels in sideview, is called the rocker panel. The bottom line between the front and rear is straight on this model. The 1:1's tapers upward at the front wheel slightly from a point about under the door front shut line.

If you remember, when I reshaped the fenders on my 1/16 Italari you sent me excellent photos which led me to correct that too.

Sadly the side view in the link I send shows that clearly.

• 3 weeks later...

Reply by Hornby to an email by a UK modeler:

"This model is still in development and shouldn't have been on the website. If this car goes into production it
will be added back to the website.

I would suggest keeping an eye on www.pocher.com for further updates."

Reply by Hornby to an email by a UK modeler:

"This model is still in development and shouldn't have been on the website. If this car goes into production it
will be added back to the website.

I would suggest keeping an eye on www.pocher.com for further updates."

Very strange. The link to Pocher's Mercedes web page is now a Hornby OOPS! Page; Scale Auto Works' page for the kit has added: "Pre-orders on hold until we have more news." MSRP now listed as ? All prior info they showed looks like repackaging of an existing kit.

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is just great! :angry: 

If they back out of ever making this, what about the tons of folks that put a deposit on this including yours truly?? I suspect that if they go under (can you say Bankruptcy?), then those of us that sent a deposit will simply have to wait in line to ever getting our money back. In other words, we'll be just another creditor waiting to get paid. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have read all the posts in this thread and surprised that no one has yet brought up this detail.  Takes a sharp eye to spot this!

On the very first pic uploaded that shows a front 3/4 driver's side view (the first post), the rear wheel/tire appears to be at a different angle compared to the front wheel/tire.  It's almost like the rear wheel/tire has positive camber!  If this build is a prototype, the modeler should ensure the rear suspension has been correctly assembled so that this positive camber does not appear on the mass-produced model.

In Bill's post on Page 2 of this thread where the eyebrow arches over the wheel wells are discussed, and he shares a pic of the front 3/4 passenger side view with the gull wing doors open, you can spot the positive camber of the rear wheel/tire.  

Any suggestions?  Please let the company and modeler know about this issue!