Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dead Fish!

Harry P.

Don't forget June Lockjaw, June Foray ( the voice of Rocky the Flying Squirrel), Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, Marty Allen, Lupita Tovar and Dewey Martin. In case you did, that's O.K. Old people tend to forget things. By the way, don't forget June Lockjaw, June Foray ( the voice of Rocky the Flying Squirrel), Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, Marty Allen, Lupita Tovar and Dewey Martin. In case you did, that's O.K. Old people tend to forget things. :P   :)   

Sad to lose Fish.   Loved the character and Abe Vigoda's portrayal.  

Condolences to Bernice.

Barney Miller was always a favorite!  Fortunately, it's currently running daily on a nostalgia channel here.  

Amusing sidebar:   And, G can chime in here.   When Barney Miller was running on TV, I was doing my fair share of public speaking on behalf of my department at various venues.  When speaking about crime, law enforcement, and the life and times of law enforcement officers I would kick off the presentation by asking the audiences which television cop show they thought was the most realistic depiction of the typical, true, every day police work.

I always got a wide range of answers from Mayberry to Starsky & Hutch to Baretta to CHIPS to Hill Street Blues to Kojak.  My audiences seldom guessed Barney Miller and they were always shocked and amused when I told them BM was actually a better depiction of the crazy pandemonium of a typical day-in-day-out squad room.  

Amusing sidebar:   And, G can chime in here.   When Barney Miller was running on TV, I was doing my fair share of public speaking on behalf of my department at various venues.  When speaking about crime, law enforcement, and the life and times of law enforcement officers I would kick off the presentation by asking the audiences which television cop show they thought was the most realistic depiction of the typical, true, every day police work.

I always got a wide range of answers from Mayberry to Starsky & Hutch to Baretta to CHIPS to Hill Street Blues to Kojak.  My audiences seldom guessed Barney Miller and they were always shocked and amused when I told them BM was actually a better depiction of the crazy pandemonium of a typical day-in-day-out squad room.  

I once heard Massad Ayoob, the world-famous law enforcement firearms instructor, say pretty much the same thing. And he added, did you ever notice that Fish, who had to go to the bathroom about every 20 minutes, was the only one of the detectives who carried his sidearm in a shoulder holster? Made perfect sense....

Sad to lose Fish.   Loved the character and Abe Vigoda's portrayal.  

Condolences to Bernice.

Barney Miller was always a favorite!  Fortunately, it's currently running daily on a nostalgia channel here.  

OMG YES!

Barney Miller was the best depiction of a detective squad ever portrayed on television. I personally am aquainted with each and every character, as I have worked with them at one time or another. :o

G

OMG YES!

Barney Miller was the best depiction of a detective squad ever portrayed on television. I personally am aquainted with each and every character, as I have worked with them at one time or another. :o

G

'

Amen, bro.  The Lovely and Gracious Mrs. B always laughs and says, "That's so-and-so!"  Or, "That's just like such-and-such!"  And, she was always right.

You could SO see 'the guys' and 'the guyettes' in those characters.  Officer Carl Levitt (played by Ron Carey) was the spitting image of one of our doods. Acted like him, thought like him, and was even durn near a spitting image of him!  Same personality.  We were convinced the BM producers must have known him!!!

Same same with Capt Miller himself.

The long departed Captain Gary Perkins, may he rest in peace, was, actually no, he had to be, the inspiration for Captain Barney Miller 

I rode and worked closely, with a guy who dressed just like Wojohowitz.  :blink:

Inspector Luger embodied traits from several old school detective supervisors I knew. 

Darnnit I miss that show.

G

Yeah, I forgot to mention our Captain of Detectives.  He also was a consummate gentleman, an impeccable dresser, and ever calm and collected in the midst of all the chaos.  Although he occasionally allowed a bit of a 'conductor on the crazy train' look to flash across his face as he assessed the nuttiness.  

While not as stylishly garish as Wojo, we had a sergeant who was convinced his next nickle might be his last nickle.  He was a hoot.  He bragged that he bought all his clothes off the rack . . . at Goodwill!   And he looked it.  Didn't bother him any.  But nobody wanted to be seen with him, even at a scene.

I always liked the show. Not being a cop, I really didn't know how accurately the squadroom activities were depicted, but I always had a feeling it was pretty true-to-life. I especially liked that blowhard captain (forgot the character's name) who would hang out in the squadroom and lecture Barney all the time. Good show. B)

I always liked the show. Not being a cop, I really didn't know how accurately the squadroom activities were depicted, but I always had a feeling it was pretty true-to-life. I especially liked that blowhard captain (forgot the character's name) who would hang out in the squadroom and lecture Barney all the time. Good show. B)

Inspector (Frank) Luger.  Played by James Gregory, who earlier did stints in Police Story and Ironsides along with dozens (hundreds) of character actor minor roles on numerous other TV shows and movies.