Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Roadster - Ferrari V-12 powered

Phildaupho

The DEUCERRARI [the model really is very red but I have always had trouble capturing red digitally even with adjustments]

DSCN2899

DSCN2880DSCN2871DSCN2879DSCN2881DSCN2882DSCN2873DSCN2874

Over the years there have been a fair number of Deuces powered by Ferrari V12’s.

My version combines parts mainly from three kits;

-         Revell of Germany [Italeri] Ferrari 250 GTO – engine/transmission, wire wheels, exhaust, taillights

-         AMT Phantom Vickie – cowl & Duval windshield, chassis and running gear

-         Revell Rat Roaster – body, fenders and interior

ENGINE – Built box-stock but did convert to wet sump and added an alternator

CHASSIS & SUSPENSION – Lengthened frame about a scale foot and removed front horns. The rear lowered by cutting one coil. Have temporarily left of steering rod so front wheels can be posed.

WHEELS & TIRES – The GTO kit comes with very nice three-piece wire wheels with three different outer rims. I used the deep dish on the rear and narrowed versions of the non-dished on the front. Tires are Revell Deuce kit no-name big and littles.

BODY – Used Phantom Vickie cowl. I made the hood from two hoods, widening one and narrowing the other and then joining them towards the middle. A Ferrariesque hood power bulge was made from a sectioned airplane drop-tank. The hood sides were made from sheet styrene to which I cut in a couple of GTO vertical vents and filled with black mesh. Out back the Phantom Vickie roll pan and Rat Roaster rear fenders were added. The front fenders are widened versions from the Rat Roaster. The paint is Testor’s Red lacquer. The Ferrari emblems are from E.JAN. The side mirror and gas cap are from the GTO.

LIGHTS - The longer headlight buckets are from the Revell ’37 Ford Pickup Street-Rod while taillights are from the GTO.

INTERIOR – I like the Rat Roaster interior except for all the circles on the door and rear panels so they have been removed. Diamond pattern upholstery was used in many early Ferraris and of course bucket seats are very appropriate. I installed a Ferrari gated shifter housing and a steering wheel more in keeping with the over-all theme. The dash is from the Phantom Vickie with bare Metal Foil. Interior paint is Testor’s Fabric Tan lacquer.

Edited by Phildaupho

I took the liberty of adjusting the hue on one of your pictures. Is this more like the real color.

Thanks Mitch. It is getting there. Under natural light the paint is very red but definitely has an orange hue which is more apparent under lights. It is kind of a dull day but I am going to try an outdoor shot and see how that looks.