Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus email response

Gentlemen, did anyone place an order at the Modelhaus lately? I sent them an email inquiry/order last week and this is what I got:

"We cannot adequately express our gratitude for the outpouring of support the modeling community has sent our way regarding the death of our son Steven. Your words of comfort, your prayers, and your patience have helped us to traverse this most difficult time. The depth of our grief still overcomes us at times. We are slowly trying to find what "normal" will be and get back to some routine. The website is open for orders.  Your continued patience will be appreciated as we try to get orders filled.  In God we trust, but do not always understand.

The Modelhaus"

Maybe my English is not good enough, but I really do not understand what the response means in plain English, My order was received?  They are not taking orders in the time being? They are not taking any orders?

I wrote them for explanation but received nothing.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

That was probably a computer generated response. They lost a son last year (unexpectedly) and took some time off to deal with the loss. 

Don and Carol have been nothing but upstanding and straightforward in their business and I would be willing to bet that your order has been received and is in the process of being put in line for shipping. They have always had a policy of working on orders in the order they came in, regardless of what was ordered.

What I think they are saying is That they are trying to catch up on the order's that they have had just before their loss of their son. It also say's that their site is open and order's are being taken,But they are letting you know that your order will take longer to fill. The death of their son was unexpected, and being such takes longer to come to terms  with.  Unlike the passing of both my late wife and my Dad, we knew they were going to pass, So it was easier to let go.

Also, just a month or two before the passing of their son they had made the announcement that they were going to retire in the spring of 2017. In response to that announcement, they were slammed with orders from folks wanting to get parts before they shut down. Then with the passing of their son, they understandably  stopped making parts for a while. 

I had never ordered from them before but placed one a few months ago and expect a long wait to receive it but totally understand that. What impressed me was an email a couple days ago telling me that my credit card will be charged another $1 because of a 90 day policy because of the "wait" time. Perfectly understandable and if they have to do this a few more times, I get it. The communication with the customer is the part that I am really impressed with.

Man I like how fast there site is.  Very simple design, updated footer as well.  Smoooooooth.

I hope some one buys the biz from them.  Seems they have many loved kits.

Great name for a biz too.  No real need for responsive design fromage due to the niche clientele.

All in all a great biz to buy.

Edited by aurfalien

I placed my last  order on the 16 October  and it was shipped on 8 January and I received it 5 days later.

They sent me the wrong body that I had ordered but after I told them I would use it on another project  they made me the replacement immediately and I had it in another 5 days and I was only charged for the new body, not for postage.

Over the years I've always found the Modelhaus to have excellent communication and product.

I placed an order Nov 18th and they charged my card for a $1 ,which is what they always do. I hope to be getting it soon. They don't make parts ahead of time ,so it takes a while.

I never got that email.

I did not even submit my card details. Since my last order was several years ago, I cannot imagine they still have the data stored. How would I know if my order was taken?

I did not even submit my card details. Since my last order was several years ago, I cannot imagine they still have the data stored. How would I know if my order was taken?

The best way would be to call them. They are in the same time zone as Chicago, if that helps you to determine when to call.

I have never heard of anyone not getting their order or customer service that wasn't outstanding, so I would call them if you haven't given them any credit card information. 

I understand that they are a small operation (3 employees) and given their high quality product, I can see where they wouldn't have tons of extra time to spend on the computer.

I believe you have to enter your card data for your order to be placed (if you're placing it online). Once your order is placed you'll receive a conformation email with details of your order.

Keep in mind that The Modelhaus is a small operation that has probably been deluged with orders since their retirement announcement, but Don & Carol are some of the finest and most ethical people in the hobby. In my experience, they always deliver and their products are first-rate. The most recent order I placed took about three months and was well worth the wait. No hurry on my end - I've got plenty to work on.

Modelhaus isn't alone in having long wait times. I placed an order with Repilcas and Miniatures back in Oct of last year.

Norm emailed  on Ist Nov saying he had received the order and it would be 4/5 weeks and that he was a bit behind. Its now 30 Jan and I haven't heard any more. 

I was told by Clearly Scale my order was sent on 1 Dec but I have yet to receive it.

Everyone-   Modelhaus is the standard of resin casting that all aftermarket businesses are judged by.  Replicas & Miniatures isn't far behind.  These are small businesses where every piece is hand made by the principals.  The product lines are popular beyond the production capabilities. I know Don and Carol, and Norman. There are no better, more sincere people who want to do right by everyone in the hobby.  They aren't sitting on their hands.  Any wait time is truly the production schedule and you will receive fantastic product within the time frame they have forecast.  Norm will call me that he cannot make NNL East in a given year because he is behind schedule, and as he says, "That wouldn't be fair to the people who are waiting",  to sell product at a show.  That's sincerity, take it to the bank. 

Placed my last order Modelhauss on 10/15/15 and just received it yesterday. That's actually not bad, still waiting on an order from another reputable caster that I put in back in May of last year. 

Hey Terry, I did an order on the same day ! LOL 

Got it today.

And yes, the message the OP asked about is an automated message you get when you send them an e-mail.

I had to change my order and got that same message each time I sent them an e-mail or replied to one of thiers. I guess it's just to let you know they got your e-mail.

Everyone-   Modelhaus is the standard of resin casting that all aftermarket businesses are judged by.  Replicas & Miniatures isn't far behind.  These are small businesses where every piece is hand made by the principals.  The product lines are popular beyond the production capabilities. I know Don and Carol, and Norman. There are no better, more sincere people who want to do right by everyone in the hobby.  They aren't sitting on their hands.  Any wait time is truly the production schedule and you will receive fantastic product within the time frame they have forecast.  Norm will call me that he cannot make NNL East in a given year because he is behind schedule, and as he says, "That wouldn't be fair to the people who are waiting",  to sell product at a show.  That's sincerity, take it to the bank. 

Although I've never dealt with Reps and Mins (but have met Norm once or twice and know many people that have,) and have bought a fair amount from The Modelhaus, I will vouch without any reservations at all for every word Tom said.

Charlie Larkin

Don's wife Carol did most of the email and other stuff for them. The writing on the bags of parts you get is hers. Losing her son was very hard on both of them, but she's had tougher time. Not excuse. Regular turn around time was usually 6 weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an email yesterday from them. They said it's going to be another 4 to 5 weeks before I get my order. They're currently trying to make a few thousand parts to send to the platers.  The way they put it,they created a monster when they announced their retirement. Glad I'm not in a hurry.