Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hmm, another brass-era Model T I'm going to have to have, I think!

Art Anderson

There is a picture of it in their 2016 catalog. I couldn't figure how to pick up the image and post it here, but see for yourself. It is a ways down, on page 26.

http://www.icm.com.ua/news/422-catalog-2016.html

It looks kind of funny for a firetruck though. As it is a red roadster complete with turtle deck and all. The turtle deck holds a metal basket (presumably for firefighting gear) and a ladder strapped onto the side of the body. I don't know, maybe it would be adequate for small fires..   And also I guess I should remember that automobiles for firefighting were a fairly new science back in 1914, so it is fair to assume that the firetruck as we think of it today had not quite found it's shape and form yet.

Edited by lysleder

That's not a turtledeck on the rear.  You are seeing two chemical tanks mounted longitudinally, horizontally, side-by-side with the hose basket above them.  The 'body' is nothing more than a dashboard (cowl/firewall) and the metal-shrouded seat sitting on a box platform.  

It looks very accurate for a period-correct fire car of that era.  

I can't wait for a couple of these!!!!!   B)

Wish they'd do that ambulance in 1/24 also.  

Danno has it right, this is a chemical car, basically two large soda acid fire extinguishers mounted on the chassis. You have to remember that at this time most fire apparatus in the US was still horse drawn and many smaller cities and towns would still be using steam pumpers or even hand pumped fire pumpers. The idea with something like this is 2 firemen could zip to a fire and catch it while still small. They were so effective that for many years it was believed there was something special in the soda / acid / water combination that helped suppress fires, but really it was just getting there quickly before the fire got big. 

I've got the touring car and will definitely have to get this one.

I just hope it is NOT molded in Red Plastic. Be very nice if the Tires were NOT white either, but I think that is too much to hope for. Looks like it might be a neat little kit. I'm wanting one of the Touring Cars too.

By 1914, automobile tires were being made with gum rubber into which carbon black was mixed prior to manufacture.  This made those tires a medium-to-dark charcoal grey, which can easily be replicated.  There are artist's shading markers in several shades of muted greys, in art supply stores, Michael's, etc. that I have used on my ICM '13 T tires to make them appear as a light buff color (correct for early tires made from gum rubber but before carbon black).  I simply mounted the tires on the painted wheels, then stroked the marker on them.

As for the plastic color, every ICM kit I have seen and purchased has been molded in  grey plastic.

Art

Thanks, for the Info, Art. Puts my fears about the plastic to rest.

As for the tires, I'm actually looking to replicate the car as you would see it today, on an HCCA run, or car show, rather than the period tire.

If the Tires are a flexible vinyl, they'll probably tint Ok, with a Sharpie, or something close.

Danno has it right, this is a chemical car, basically two large soda acid fire extinguishers mounted on the chassis. You have to remember that at this time most fire apparatus in the US was still horse drawn and many smaller cities and towns would still be using steam pumpers or even hand pumped fire pumpers. The idea with something like this is 2 firemen could zip to a fire and catch it while still small. They were so effective that for many years it was believed there was something special in the soda / acid / water combination that helped suppress fires, but really it was just getting there quickly before the fire got big. 

I've got the touring car and will definitely have to get this one.

Ladder truck with it's own fire suppression supply, doesn't that make this a Brass Era Quint? ;) :) 

Any idea of the price?

been thinking about building some cars from that era. Won't be anything super detailed, but I think I need a change.

Thanks,

Russ

I suspect the initial price in the US will be somewhere in the $50-$60 range, but Squadron is already discounting the two earlier ICM Model T kits, so who knows?

Art

I like the ambulance if it was 1/24.

I ordered the 1/24 Mercedes G4 staff car.....should be here Sat.......anyone have or built it yet???

Dave, if ICM followed the pattern established with the Opel Admiral and Model T kits, you should find the G4 Staff Car kit to be VERY precisely laid out--it likely has a multi-piece body shell, again, SOP for this company.  I would submit you should be able to build it with confidence that it will turn out quite nicely!

Art