Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Street Machine

kforbus

So, I haven't been able to make much progress this week due to working all of the time, but I do have a question. I am attempting to use a 0.4mm gelly roll pen to do the white letter tires but it seems to deliver too much ink....how do I get the pens to slow down the flow? I really don't want to sand the tires down and use a stencil or decal if possible. I thought about just leaving them black. Suggestions?

BTW, I did a search but only found what people  use, not how they use it (pen wise).

Thanks, 

-kevin

Update:

So it seems that the 0.4mm Gellyroll pens work wonders if you put them in the freezer for 5 minutes. This will slow down the flow a little. This allowed me to get "Good Year" painted on the tires. I also used it to paint the front turn signals (with mixed results).

I got the tires mounted and the center caps on the wheels painted black. I also put a wash on the grill and drilled out the exhaust tips with a pin vise and painted the tips black.

It's coming along slowly but surely. A job really gets in the way of my modeling time.

Pics:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I managed to get a little more work done on the '55. Finished the BMF on the driver's side. Painted the inside of the side chrome strips black (not sure if you can tell...you know, bad lighting + cell phone cam=bad pic). The windows and front turn signals are in as well as the headlights...those big, chrome headlights. What do you guys do to make chrome headlights look more realistic. As far as the front turn signals I thought about going for a more original look with white signals. I was thinking paint the BMF flat white and maybe drop some clear fingernail polish in to simulate a lens???

I've use Testors clear parts cement to make the chrome lights look a little better...it's still not as good as an actual lens, but it comes out better than just leaving it alone, and you can put several 'coats' on until you're satisfied with the look...the best part is, if you mess it up or aren't happy with the way it looks, it's pretty easy to remove.