Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Challenger T/A build (Revell 1/24)

Shelbytona

Started on a Revell 1/24 street burner kit while my real 1:1 build is on hold (1970 EV2 340 Swinger 4 speed) I painted this model with glasurit Hemi Orange EV2 automotive paint (base/clear) and it'll be pretty much box stock with wired engine, flocking and seatbelts. It's a really simple low parts count kit so it shouldn't take much longer.. I'm building it like a showroom new car. 

A532F27B-16A3-4742-8A3F-EE6677713BBA_zps

CC36BF25-4EE4-48AC-8228-84A29DA44E22_zps

C6FF1DA9-9886-4D61-BEE8-4B2D8EFF49A0_zps

133160CA-9638-4F01-9224-EBE296A21D18_zps

CBA829B8-B316-4CE2-B390-AB98E8198497_zps

65226A21-8B99-4AB9-9008-18B40EBC3EBC_zps

25BE9867-564E-41DF-9E53-98D65185D098_zps

DD7DBE73-75AA-4F6F-A867-CD7020422490_zps

607BBCE2-CC60-433B-B8B8-2F5D7625964B_zps

should be done in another couple days! I haven't been on here much lately since life has gotten in the way but I'm still building kits and collecting!

Edited by Shelbytona

Thanks! After building a 1:1 car Factory I got the idea of doing things the way it left the factory.. Almost messy in a way! 

Thanks!

Thanks! Yeah it definitely lacks a lot of firewall detail but I didn't feel like adding to much to it.. The giant air cleaner hides a lot of it anyway! Post a link to your build on here, I'd love to see it.

Thanks! I added a lot of inspection markings from pics I found online. Haha yeah my hands are never clean!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments guys! I scribed the panel lines before paint to make them deeper. Once it was painted I filled the panel lines in with thinned tamiya flat black acrylic and wiped the excess away with acrylic paint thinner on a rag. I did correct the front valence as well, good eye! I also added the panel line between the rocker and fender. 

I also added all the decals to the body after clear coat because I didn't want them shiny.. They are supposed to be Matt back, even without clear oat they're a little to shiny for my liking but it's close enough.

I finished up the air cleaner and BMF'd the exhaust tips. I also have to black out the wheel wells on the body to simulate the factory undercoating.

2E37E141-8901-4572-A36A-E93124201F1B_zps

A07BD139-4C91-4FD0-8D41-B91292FBA687_zps

E15FABB6-BC9C-4293-8A4F-60CEADB72540_zps

0ACB64D8-BBBD-44B6-9E7E-39B27F64D825_zps

EC51B60D-73F7-442D-A416-AE07816DF03C_zps

Edited by Shelbytona

Im new to this hobby and I bought this kit a couple of weeks ago.  I just started this kit and I was looking for some ideas on how to paint everything. You've done an outstanding job. 

Since Im new I need to ask a new guy question. Do you paint each part then glue it all together? Or put it together then glue? Im talking more about something like the engine.

Also how did you get the black lines done on the door and trunk? How small of a brush was that?

Again,Great detail on this car.

Edited by lilbuddy

Im new to this hobby and I bought this kit a couple of weeks ago.  I just started this kit and I was looking for some ideas on how to paint everything. You've done an outstanding job. 

Since Im new I need to ask a new guy question. Do you paint each part then glue it all together? Or put it together then glue? Im talking more about something like the engine.

Also how did you get the black lines done on the door and trunk? How small of a brush was that?

Again,Great detail on this car.

Thanks for the compliment! Certain pieces I glue together as an assembly and then paint, especially engines since there is usually a large seam that needs to be sanded prior to painting. For the engine I glue the block halfs together and then the cylinder heads and intake manifold (valve covers if they aren't chrome) the valve covers in this kit are chrome plated and I stripped them since they are supposed to be Hemi Orange. In this kit the dash and seat halfs should be glued together before paint so they can be sanded. The panel lines were done in thinned acrylic flat black so the paint shoots down the seam once it touches the body and any excess paint on the body was wiped away with a dampened (in acrylic paint thinner) rag once it was almost dry.

I hope this helps!

Looks very clean! 

I didn't know that Hemi Orange is metallic paint, and that they oversprayed the bellhousing...

EV2 Hemi Orange (Dodge) / Tor-Red (Plymouth) was metallic only when it was a body paint ; the engine colour (and there are 2 distinct Hemi Orange shades : Street Hemi and Race Hemi ,  ) being non-metallic .  Race hemi Orange is more orange than red.

Edited by 1972coronet

Thanks guys! 1972coronet is correct. Mopar was pretty messy with paint back in the day, which is why the exhaust manifolds have overspray on them as well as the bellhousing.

picked up some tires for this build. The T/A is supposed to have slightly larger tires in the rear  but I'll probably just end up running the larger L60 tires of the AMT set since this model is 1/24 scale and the tires are meant for 1/25.

FF5A3A0F-B38F-4D74-88D0-67C15F5F0227_zps

Blacked out rear wheel wells

637E1BF8-A429-4490-B81B-751F4E613AA6_zps

Edited by Shelbytona

Sweet clean build! I built this kit in the same color scheme a long time ago. Makes me want to build another one! Your paint is perfect man. Are you airbrushing everything?

Love the overspray on the headers and trans. along with the underbody orange overspray. What flat black are you using? Looks spot on for the hood and rear tail panel.  If I recall correctly some of the mopars from the early 70s late 60s also had the body color overspray on the front of the trans tunnels as well? At least I put some on mine, lol.

underbody-793x595.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03