Model Cars Magazine Forum

So, About Craft Store paint

Thin with Pledge huh. Never thought of that. Those craft paint colors are in some wild, and different colors not available through regular channels, and perfect for a WIP I now have on the bench.

I read that post, Paint Help, and it answered some of my questions accept this one. If I chose to use a metallic color such as Copper, do I have to use a colored undercoat like Alcad paints?

I spray metallic paints straight on the plastic most times with excellent results. I only use a primer coat if I have a dark colored body that I'm wanting to paint a light color like white then I will prime the body with a light color like light grey.

If you want to  test your paint you can buy a box of white plastic spoons and spray them to see what kind of results your going to get from that paint or mixture.

I don't usually put anything under my paint because it tends to diminish fine details and I found less is more.

This is metallic blue craft paint from Walmart sprayed straight onto clean white plastic and it hasn't been clear coated yet. The paint was mixed 50/50 with Pledge floor finish.

Spraying craft paint is like the perfect storm. To get great result's everything has to be right. A properly working air brush, proper air pressure, proper spray distance and proper paint mixture. Not all craft paints are the same so mixture ratio may vary. I test spray each new batch I mix on a white plastic spoon to check for color, coverage and flow ability.

Craft paint also sprays better where the air is humid because the paint tends to dry fast humid air gives it a little more flow time.

IMG_20160101_142622.jpg

IMG_20160126_202907.jpg

WOW, THAT LOOKS NICE TOM.

I TRIED SPRAYING FASCOLOR YEARS AGO ON A RC BODY, THE REVERSE SIDE LOOKED GREAT, BUT THE PAINT WENT ON LIKE STUCCO. DOES THE PLEDGE HELP IT STAY WET, OR JUST THIN IT?

The pledge thins it down to get the flow you need to spray smooth then once sprayed on the surface the Pledge helps the paint to self level and blend smooth across the surface uniformly.

Wow. I'm impressed. It's impossible to discount as-sprayed results that look like that. Interesting. Very interesting.

What clears can be used over something like that??

I usually mist a few coats of straight Pledge to get a glassy gloss. Then I might buff it with a used dryer sheet after its cured a few days. If I'm building armor or an old barn find car I'll use Micro-Scale flat clear in my air brush.

The pledge thins it down to get the flow you need to spray smooth then once sprayed on the surface the Pledge helps the paint to self level and blend smooth across the surface uniformly.

THANKS TOM, COULD YOU POST A PIC OF THE EXACT PLEDGE PRODUCT SO I GET THE RIGHT ONE?

Here's the one I use that's currently on the shelves "if" you can find it. This stuff is getting super hard to find in stores. If your lucky you can stumble onto a bottle or two at Walmart, Walgreen's or Kmart. Ive had my wife on Pledge alert for months so when she's shopping if she sees it she just buys them out because I use so much of the stuff. Second pic shows the old label with the boots on front. They're both the same stuff. If you can find it in stores its $6.00 I saw home depot is advertising it online now for $42.00 a bottle so somethings up.

IMG_20160130_150605.jpg

IMG_20160130_151300.jpg

Thanks to some help from Tommy, I practice a little with some future and craft paint and today I decided to shoot my new project. Not sure if I will switch completely to craft acrylics and future but it does work well. Unfortunately my compressor decided today was its last day and now I need to search for a new one. 

I've seen also some great results online using a 50:50 mix with testors enamels and laquer thinner. I gave it a try and I can see how if dialed in correctly results can be very good. 

image.jpeg