Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cushman Duster

Dragline

Got this kit a couple of weeks ago HOT off the press. I had a week to spare so I plunged in. I want to thank R2 for continuing such a bang up job on these molds. This was such a joy to build and flash free. I never built this new so I was not certain what to expect but this is high water stuff here. I could go on but i digress.

Duplicolor gloss white over their filler primer. I opened the trunk, wired the plugs, hooked up the battery and there is a photo etched seat belt in there. I made a safety net according to the manual but I used seat belt material and wooden ship rigging instead of a book of matches. I have some weathering to do but i used the R&MofM drag car tire painting set for the GoodYear logo's. I then sanded them down a tad. They look good and the weathering [Vallejo powders] should finish it off nicely. I stripped and re-shot the bumpers in Alclad. I made the hood hold down as per the reference photos but have to make the bungee cord. There's more but the pics speak.

r0uz6b.jpg

29zwx7t.jpg

2wppim8.jpg

14n2yqu.jpg

I shot this on my phone so go easy on me.

Bob

Edited by Dragline

I'll have to check on that JC.  As for that i am not certain as I never built the Stewart kit but it sure looks identical.. What I do know is this.

What is here was very nice. The kit went together like a breeze. Now i'm a Vet so some folks may find this kit tough. But the decals went nice and accepted solvent for the door jambs easily.  I'll post better pics eventually but this is a positively Wonderful kit. it doesn't fall together mind you. But it's one of the greats of our era.

For a 2 week after work build it went together well and I have to tie up the exhaust [tough] and a few detail items box stockers won't encounter. But i'm pleased and ordered 2 more for the shelf. I may not get to them but I wanted a couple of extras in case decal options came about.

A winner in my eyes...............

Bob 

That is freaking awesome. What a Great job you did on it, if only I had a 10th of your craftsmanship, I'd be good. Your decals are absolutely perfect. I could go on and on about how impressed  I am with your build. 

Thank you.     Jeff 

There was a guy on the forums. Complained the front wheels on the Petty car stuck out too far. I was thinking..... Hmmmmm, it's a dirt track car.. I let it go. But after researching them it's a way of life. The offset track is what they need to get the thing around the bend. Perhaps someone could enlighten us all????

Bob

Bob,

That was me who posted a few months ago that I felt like the front tires on the Petty car stuck-out too far from underneath the front fenders.  I realize that the front track-width on most all of the dirt track cars of this era was pretty wide, (I spent a lot of time at my local dirt track watching even these Chrysler Kit Cars throw some dirt back in the early/mid-1970's), but I'll still be modifying my build to narrow-down that front track-width and pull those front tires underneath the fenders more; to my eyes, it just looks better that way.

Engine detail is OK. The carb is part of the intake and the header flanges part of the heads. No distributor and minimal engraving.  It can be made to look good if doctored up. The way it sits in this car is perfect for the detail it has.

Edited by Dragline

Jantrix,

If you feel like the AMT/Ertl Plymouth Duster's 340 engine is too small overall, then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed with the 355 engine from this Cushman kit, too.  I have read several forum posts and some kit reviews that state that this 355 engine is on the small-side, too. 

My best suggestion for you; take a good look at Bob's 4th picture in his very first post here.  My thoughts; I'd hafta agree, this 355 engine looks a tad small to my eye, too.  (But I'll still be building this kit because the subject matter is just so good!)

• 3 weeks later...