Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 Vega Bruce Larson USA-1_FYI Reissue Update

69NovaYenko

305 in California models , all TH-200 only .

The 305 didn't debut until 1976.  A smogged-out 350 2-barrel WAS in fact the top engine for California or high altitude cars, but only in 1975.  Not sure if it's still around, but there used to be a guy that showed up at local cruise nights and car shows with a factory '75 350 Monza he got from California.

The 305 didn't debut until 1976.  A smogged-out 350 2-barrel WAS in fact the top engine for California or high altitude cars, but only in 1975.  Not sure if it's still around, but there used to be a guy that showed up at local cruise nights and car shows with a factory '75 350 Monza he got from California.

I stand corrected . I'm just so used to California-spec cars from that era as having the smallest , wheezeiest engines possible ! I'm a life-long resident (46 years) of Ca.

Just an update for when/if the kits ever come to market. Da "Grump" used 71-72 Nova wheel openings on his Vega to allow room for the Pro Stock tires of the time. Wish I still had the magazine reference for when the car debuted. But I do remember that fact because I was thinking about doing one using the stock version, before the Pro Stock kit ever came out!

Edited by socal76

305 in California models , all TH-200 only .

they did build some 350 cars, when I had my body shop, in '79, a young woman came in with her V-8 Monza, that had a 350 and a Saginaw 4 speed, she was extremely upset with the local dealership because they had been trying to buy it back claiming Chevrolet was recalling the ones that were built with a 350 and a manual transmission. When she refused to "sell" it back she said that they would no longer due any service on it since it would be a liability problem for them to work on a car that had been recalled. 

I never actually got to see any of the paperwork she said she had, but I did see and drive the car when I was doing some paint work on it and can tell you that with the little 13 inch bias ply tires and the manual transmission it was a real smoke machine in just about any gear at any time, I can see why GM wouldn't want to many of the cars in the unsuspecting, and unqualified hands of the general public.

Edited by horsepower

• 11 months later...

Looking at the MPC "Twister Vega" kit, it's clear there is a whole lot of work to do to bring this kit back to anything respectable. What a hot mess this floorpan/chassis is:

s-l1600.jpg

If it does make it back to '74 specs body-wise, I'm sure it can be worked with:

Edited by Casey

Looking at the MPC "Twister Vega" kit, it's clear there is a whole lot of work to do to bring this kit back to anything respectable. What a hot mess this floorpan/chassis is:

s-l1600.jpg

dff3e36be3b46bf1663b637f649b3cae_zpshw6u

.....over the years I have had all the pro stock Vegas by MPC, and do have the Twister Vega Stevens reissued 10 years ago or so.....I would think that Round2 intends to basically change the front clip and rear panel back to 74-75 appearance , and that the chassis, interior, and most of the rest will be Twister with the exception of the tunnel ram and Holley carbs replacing the Twisters blower setup. it's wishful thinking that they would go the distance and issue the kit reworked properly, but  it would be great if they tune it up even somewhat better than before. regardless, its an old favorite of many of us, and it will see like crazy I would guess. I liked the other issue from 1975 called AMERICAN SPIRIT pro stock Vega too, as it was a stolen idea by MPC of the OLD RELIABLE pro Vega of the late great Dave Strickler.....hope they repop that one too...lol...:D.....the Ace.......:)

I would think that Round2 intends to basically change the front clip and rear panel back to 74-75 appearance

Looking at the Twister Vega body, MPC never updated the rear panel to Monza S Hatchback Coupe specs. The '76-'77 Vega tail light surrounds are still present, so I think "all" that needs to be done to the body is backdate the front header panel.

it's wishful thinking that they would go the distance and issue the kit reworked properly, but  it would be great if they tune it up even somewhat better than before.

Yes, it definitely is, but I guess I'm just hoping this kit is different, and there's a good reason for the long delay. I would be happy with just a backdated body and re-created (assuming the original wheel insert is long gone here) "mag" wheels, newer tires, etc. The chassis is so bad, and so far gone, I doubt it can be saved. 

Edited by Casey

Looking at the Twister Vega body, MPC never updated the rear panel to Monza S Hatchback Coupe specs. The '76-'77 Vega tail light surrounds are still present, so I think "all" that needs to be done to the body is backdate the front header panel.

Yes, it definitely is, but I guess I'm just hoping this kit is different, and there's a good reason for the long delay. I would be happy with just a backdated body and re-created (assuming the original wheel insert is long gone here) "mag" wheels, newer tires, etc. The chassis is so bad, and so far gone, I doubt it can be saved. 

....one thing, Casey....the original 74-75 Vega bodies have a different surround and lights than the later type you mention. my point...they will have to correct that rear panel as to be like it was in the mid 70s for the annuals and pro stock bodies. your nice photo of the USA 1 Vega in the burnout box shows you what we had, and now will require. as for the chassis and other parts....we can only hope for upgrades, but where tooling costs are involved,,, I doubt it. still dying to get a couple once they drop, and on that note any news on when they are saying to pull our wallets out again.....the Ace...;)

If they're gonna change it, change it right . And they do this version

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ec/f0/cf/ecf0cfdb2de2d17309f55c652484c9af.jpg

I think it would sell much better than this version

Image result for bruce larson vega

Image result for bruce larson vega

no doubt, Bill, that would be a gift to all for sure, not to mention how the earlier body style open's the door for dozen's more pro stocker's  from back then....the possible decal sheet's for them could be endless.......the Ace...;)

s-l1600.jpg

dff3e36be3b46bf1663b637f649b3cae_zpshw6u

I was thinking of somehow combining the parts from the MPC Firefighter Pro Stock Mustang I have and the Twister Vega chassis to somehow make it better.The Firefighter chassis has no tubs either so i'll have to figure something out.

Actually, that body is correct for the '78 Monza S, which really was nothing more than the Vega hatchback body with the nose from the new Monza wagon installed.  Turns out that the 1978 Monza S was a pretty rare bird in 1:1, most estimates guess that there were only about 2,000 made.

The common theory is that Chevy had left over Vega hatchback bodies after the 1977 model year was through, and didn't want to scrap them.  They'd already decided to kill the Vega nameplate, so they decided to slap the new front end on the old Vega bodies and christened it the Monza S.

The Vega wagons sold well enough that Chevy decided to continue producing them after killing off the Vega name.  They designed a new nose that was similar to the standard Monza (non 2+2 Sport) front end, but would mate up to the old Vega fenders and hood.  I believe (based on eyeballing) that the front bumper, the grill, and the headlight bezels are all the same as the standard Monza coupes, but the wagon header panel drops lower between the headlights compared with the standard Monza piece, in order to match the contours of the old Vega hood.

The leading edge of the fenders on a Vega (and Monza wagons) is at an angle, whereas the fenders on "true" Monzas have a completely vertical leading edge.  Chevy did a very good job of facelifting these wagons in '78.  At a glance it looks like the front end from a Monza wagon (or the '78 Monza S) would bolt on to one of the standard Monza coupes, but they are in fact quite different.

I realized this after kicking around the idea of grafting the nose from a "Twister Vega" kit (actually the Monza S, of course) onto an MPC Monza 2+2 Sport body to make a standard Monza 2+2.  The more I researched it, the more I realized it would be much more involved than I first thought.  Besides having to tweak the nose to look right, standard (non Sport) Monzas also have a unique hood that's different from the Sport models (has a hood bulge somewhat similar to the Vega, but not the same)

Edited by Robberbaron

• 2 years later...