Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Custom Suzuki Cafe Racer

Demerovingian

I decided to make my own Cafe racer, and as you gents (and some ladies) know, they don't sell Cafe Racer model kits...just like the real ones, you just don't go buy one....someone builds it for you from an old motorcycle. Therefore I took an old Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki GSX750 Police Bike kit and made my own. I made the rear cow from a piece of plastic and putty and metal and the seat and grips I made out of real leather donated via the glove in the picture. I custom made the pipes by cutting the 4 into 2 pipe into pieces, melting them in shape to wrap around the frame and wrapped them in strips of surgical tape, then painted the tape. I used the forks of a GP Race bike and cut the speedo down from 4 dials to one. First one I ever done, therefore the gap in the rear cowing is off, but hey...its my first! I put the picture of what the model would've looked like on the box behind mine.. Enjoy

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

IMG_3591_1024.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

A real neat model and I love motorcycle models. At the moment I ride a Hayabusa and Triumph Triple but not today as it is pouring with rain haha (Typical English weather)

In the 1:1 world of American cafe racer bikes(pronounce it Kaff to be authentic British ;) ) why put that tape around the exhausts? Is it a legal requirement as I have never seen it on a 1960s-early 70s British built bike such as the Triton, Norvin hybrids etc nor any British bikes for that matter. Is it something invented by that TV program as all it would achieve is rusted out pipes if it gets wet.

Lets see more motorcycle models here please :) 

Edited by HotRodaSaurus

• 2 weeks later...