Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks Bruce and Bo ...

I got some used foam core signs Bruce, but they're really white (on the backs) and so I'm going to look at a leftover roll of mulch matting I got in the shed ... flat black might be a cool background ...

just have to finish the race lights and maybe adjust the rear wheels ... they're out a couple of inches ...

BEAUTIFUL!!!  I love the detail that can be achieved in a larger scale.  My only comment is that I think Penske painted the engine in this car gray.   I could be mistaken or perhaps this was done after the car was painted Sunoco blue.  Still a gorgeous model. 

Thanks Tim, Tony, and Scott, much appreciated

Steve, you're correct. The car raced with an engine by TRACO with grey valve covers. But my version has the very first factory L-88 as delivered personally by  Dick Guldstrand. This engine was used right up just before the race before it was replaced by the TRACO. The car was prepped in just a few weeks from the factory and my version is before Penske got Sunoco as a sponsor. Champion and Firestone sponsor decals are missing as well.  The duct-taped headlights were of that time as well. I hope you read my intro on page 1 ... the stories about this car are incredible.

Tom, thanks. Your comment about the stance is most appreciated since that is what caught my eye when I chose this subject. It's one if the greatest looking mid-60s Corvettes ever to me and that I came close to capturing that "stance" means a lot.