Model Cars Magazine Forum

270922AF-8B11-4B78-BC0B-7BD9CA95BB17.jpeg.f6cc51732e6e337dbd5c387e1db9e68f.jpeg

I picked up this 3n1 version of the ‘67 427 Corvette as a in-between project to “enhance” some fundamental modeling skills that I need. But I wasn't crazy about this car. I always found it to be lacking in looks and design … and as a kid in the sixties I was a ford cobra fan. So I looked for a version of the corvette that could inspire me and found the story of the first L88 and once I saw the photos of that very short-lived car I was hooked …

E9AF5A2E-C467-445C-B800-A6FEB880179E.jpeg

Edited by LaughingIndian
Wrong title

Here’s the background:
In 1966, Chevrolet’s Central Office authorized this COPO Corvette to be built, with the first factory 427 L-88 engine. The competition race package included J56 brakes, 36 gallon fuel tank, F41 suspension, prototype 2:73 Positraction, transistorized ignition, M22 transmission, off-road exhaust, radio-heater delete, teak wood steering wheel, telescopic column, and a special prototype cowl-induction hood.

And here’s the incredible story:
The car was released to Roger Penske, who had worked with Chevrolet Racing since the days of the grand Sport days. Penske prepared the car for the 24 Hour Endurance Race at Daytona, in January 1966 and hired Dick Guldstrand to race for the team. Dick raced with Ben Moore and George Wintersteen. Dick Guldstrand picked up the car at the St. Louis assembly plant in mid-January 1966 and drove it back to Pennsylvania in mid-January 1966. Since the car was a radio-heater delete, Guldstrand was given a blanket to keep him from Freezing. Penske’s Newton Square (PA) garage then prepared the car for Daytona. In practice, the factory L88 put in some of the fastest alps ever recorded. Chevrolet had sent a second engine to TRACO to be prepared. Just before the race, this new 540 HP engine was installed. During the race, Wintersteen was involved in an accident, damaging the front of the car, forcing Guldstrand to drive his portion of the race with two flashlights taped to the fenders. The damaged car also had its radiator replaced with parts taken from a spectator’s car in the parking lot. Guldstrand was able to continue in the race by following the tail lights of the Ferrari team cars and, in doing so, broke the GT record. The L-88 finished first in GT and 11th overall. After the next race, in Sebring, the car was painted in the sponsor’s Sunoco blue color. It finished 1st in class and 9th overall. This tied the record as the highest finish, ever, for a Corvette.

I'm going to go for the car that was used in the prep period just before Daytona with the “factory” engine driven to PA from St. Louis by Dick Guldstrand … Mr. Guldstrand passed away this past September

8EA9684E-686C-49AA-98C9-59558024BED7.jpeg

Edited by LaughingIndian

I'll have to scratch/modify the wheels, fuel cell, seats, console, engine intake and exhaust, side vents, gas cap, wheel wells and flares, etc.. 

First the Cragers have to change into American Racing wheels with the rears made up of two wheels from a '57 to emulate the Firestones ... 

11DBF855-C283-4EE6-9875-1301E8F3A309.jpeg

Edited by LaughingIndian

A lot of reference is hit and miss because the car was prepped in one month from factory to race and the stages changed throughout. But I did get good pics from the restoration of the Sunoco #9 car that this car would later become:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/corp-0710-c2-corvette-race-cars/

So guessing that one of the first things the car would have to have would be the interior with required seats and fuel cell:

C17C0546-1B41-496A-B814-79841A8BA506.jpeg

D737CBB5-40FB-4BB2-8F28-0228B30AEF48.jpeg

Edited by LaughingIndian

Nice work! It looks as though you even drilled out the radio/heater details to install the gauges? 

I know what you mean about finding reference photos. When I was building the L-88`s, it was a real struggle. The Barrett Jackson car wasn`t too bad with all the publicity it got, but the black ones were another story.

Yes, thanks for noticing David. Here's the reference from he site I posted above:

i could not find what (if any) roll bar was used so I used the drag version from the kit. I doubt if it's true, but that huge extinguisher is pretty :rolleyes:

The fuel cell is a guess to. I thought the 36 gallon Chevrolet tank probably wasn't up to race specs so I used this version:

Thanks David, Bruce, Tony, Jeff, and Tim … I hope you won't be disappointed …

As I said above, I want to use the factory version engine since that was the actual first factory L-88 and was used right to “just before” race time. But the kit engine looks like a L-68 and needed new intake that worked in conjunction with the cowl-induction hood (!) …

E3DE61F9-1956-4859-81E0-98FA3662DD42.jpeg

26F48C09-76BD-49A8-96A8-372B833F3AC8.jpeg

Edited by LaughingIndian

Very nice work. Since you're going to this trouble, you might want to fix the valve covers.  Revellogram moulded them with 8 bolts, but they should have 7 (only 3 on the intake side).  That mistake was carried over to the 1/25 '68 L88.

Thanks for the input DF, I see what you're saying. I hope I can get to that but after seeing my pics up, I noticed I have to do that intake completely over ... I guess I fell in love with my own scratch build and wasn't paying attention to the proportions of the carb can ...

I also didn't plan on so much work I'll have to do on the exhausts ... oh well 

You already have the correct transmission.  The M22 and M21 used the same cases, differences were internal.

Thanks DF. I hope you hang around. I'll obviously need some help.  I had this kit on the shelf and thought I'd do it as an exercise  between bigger things, but once I researched the history of this car I'm thinking this may be that "bigger" thing. 

This weekend marks the 50th anniversary of that famous race at Daytona I believe. I think I'm going to show more respect and rethink where I am and where I'm going with this model.

Much appreciated!

Edited by LaughingIndian