Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anything Good at Harbor Freight?

Impalow, I'm really curious about that side-gravity-feed detail gun. I'll go inexpensive it it actually works, but I've bought knockoff Chinee guns before and had the seals go bad after only a few uses.

I've also had knockoff guns that oxidized badly fairly quickly, with plated potmetal parts that SHOULD have been brass or stainless.

Your results look great though, and I'm always in the market for a decent small gun.

How long have you  had it?  

Any issues, other than normal maintenance? 

I have had mine about a bit over a year... no real issues..  I bought a second just to have a spare... it hasn't been out of the box.  My dad and I both use it for 1:1 scale touchup and hobby projects... I cant stress enough how nice the spray pattern is.. you can kind of see that on the box in my second pic.

When they have a coupon/sale they are 9.99, I figure if i can get a year out of it for that, I am doing okay.    

Well, I've read a few reviews on the HF site and it's mentioned the seals melt after some time so it's a good idea to have spares.  Attached is that particular review;

Yeah, and see? THIS is the problem with SO MUCH cheap Chinese crapp. It looks all nice and shiny when it's new, but you use it, you find out they made the seals out of old condoms or something, and they melt, making the entire piece of crapp useless.

You buy a REAL gun, you don't have to worry about what the seals are made of, because somebody actually gave a damm about something other than making it cheap, and put solvent-resistant rubber in it.

I've got 30 YEAR OLD SPRAY GUNS THAT STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL SEALS.

Yeah, and see? THIS is the problem with SO MUCH cheap Chinese crapp. It looks all nice and shiny when it's new, but you use it, you find out they made the seals out of old condoms or something, and they melt, making the entire piece of crapp useless.

You buy a REAL gun, you don't have to worry about what the seals are made of, because somebody actually gave a damm about something other than making it cheap, and put solvent-resistant rubber in it.

I've got 30 YEAR OLD SPRAY GUNS THAT STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL SEALS.

hahha.. yeah we have a binks model 18 that is tried and true and very trusty...  I completely understand what you are saying.

I will say.....I haven't had any of those seal problems, and Ive been spraying hot lacquer and urethane's.

X2.

Your work is always better with good tools. While Harbor Freight does in fact have some things that can be useful, you really have to be careful and look hard at the quality of what you're buying.

I got a set of clamps similar to the ones shown above, and within a year, every one had snapped. I've bought hole-punches there that were made of such soft steel, you could only get 3 good uses out of them. I've bought files that weren't hard enough to cut aluminum. I once bought a dead-blow hammer that shattered with the first use. Sockets that split, screwdrivers with uselessly-soft tips, wire brushes that disintegrate, etc.

I even bought a tape-measure there once that had incorrect markings on it. Didn't line up with inches, though it was marked in inches.

It's really smarter to spend a little more and get a few quality tools, instead of getting a lot of trash that's semi-useless.

About a year and a half ago I took a look at our local Harbor Freight just to see what they have and I wasn't impressed at all. I have Craftsman tools that seems like they had lasted me forever. And when I was working, Sears/Craftsman always replaced broken tools for free and being in the construction trades I wasn't too easy on my tools. Like Bill says, spend the extra money and buy quality tools, you'll be glad you did.

I've been buildin' models since the mid-50's and never had any use for calipers. I have a limited amount of tools for model building and I seem to get by very well with them.

I wouldn't buy anything at Snap-On East that either spins at high speed, or is needed to support a lot of weight.  That said, a lot of stuff that would be "junk" for heavy-duty use will do just fine for model building uses.  I've got my model building tools and general purpose tools.  The two don't interchange, at least for anything I use them for.  That said, for model building uses, the digital caliper comes in handy, and I've taken a liking to the small "diamond grit" files.  I've since bought a couple of sets of files on eBay that are smaller than the Harbor Freight set.  The foam sanding sponges are good for rough-shaping filler.  The disposable gloves are cheap; I keep a few boxes of those around.  My safety goggles and respirator were obtained elsewhere however.   

As for general purpose tools, I do have a few items from HF but for the most part I'll spend the money once and get decent tools the first time.  If you know what you're looking at, you can get high-quality, often made-in-USA, old-school tools in great shape (sometimes still new in the box) at a flea market or automotive swap meet.  A lot of baby boomers are retiring/retired, and downsizing/simplifying their lives. 

I took a chance and bought their bench-top bandsaw. Got a wacky sale and paid $112 for it. ($169) The key is to set it up carefully, make adjustments as needed and true the table-to-blade. Tossed the stock junk blade and bought a quality 1/4" 'Wood' blade. Perfect for model plastic, thin-walled brass and hobby wood.

Sectioned parts of my Rolls with it and cut the brass window frames and wood sub forms. Very happy when used in the model-building way.

I get all kinds of 1/1 car stuff there. A palm size LED flashlight that was free w/coupon and $5 other items is one great item.I buy my car work rags and work gloves.   2 ton engine host we bought in 2004 has been used a lot and always works.

Model wise not a ton of stuff....but some of their small tools are OK. 

Having a good laugh at this thread,  complaining about cheap tools sold at cheap prices ,  thats sort of the point of HF.

Anyways, I have a a few HF items and both are still working three years later, ive gotten my moneys worth from them I feel,  but , when I do buy stuff from HF, which isnt very often, I dont expect what I bought to last very long,  if I did, then I am fool for expecting that, and should of bought a higher quality made Chinese made tools like Crastman.

I only have two actual power tools purchased from HF: an ultrasonic cleaner, and a tiny miter saw.  The saw is supposedly good for small diameter metal tubing, but I wouldn't trust it for anything tougher than wood or plastic.

That being said, I find them to be a good source for small, non-powered items like spring clamps, flush-cutters, airbrush-cleaning brushes, probes, files, alligator clips, etc...

They have a Small Micro Chop saw, that I use for cutting brass tube, channel, rod. Squarely and accurately at lighting speed. I just bought a welding cart for a good price but thats for a whole other hobby. There is a magnetic holder for the boxes of latex gloves if your into that. Non slip toolbox liner material in bulk rolls, Small metal turning lathe. diamond files. There is a ton of stuff there for the hobby, if you have been doing this awhile you may have most of it, Or not.

Edited by my80malibu

They have an airbrush cleaning station that looks a lot like the Iwata cleaning station. I use it when ever I airbrush.  I have a few other specialty tools from HF I only need to use occasionally.  Check it out when they open, it is a neat store. 

I bought a 30 piece drill bit set(Drill Master item# 94606) like the ones for a pin vice. Only paid a few bucks for the set vs. $20+ on the net or hobby store. They're great for plug wire holes and hogging out tailpipes and.... 

Now THAT sounds like something maybe worth driving across town to check out. Thanks! B)

Harbor Freight must be expanding aggressively.  A new store just recently opened near me, in rural upstate South Carolina.  Been in a couple of times and it's always crowded with customers.

They sell a pretty neat little airbrush stand.  Designed to hold 4 airbrushes.  Though none of its holders will fit the blasted Aztek body. Unless you customize the holder with a pair of pliers, which is what I did.

Were I to have, Oh Microsoft Founders kind of Money I'd place Ads in the April Issues of all the Tech and Mechanical type of Magazines with those and use:

The White House Phone Number for Orders

Congress's General Number for Customer Service

EPA's Number for New Product Suggestions

IRS's for Customer Complaints

Then I'd kick back and finally get a Laugh out of the Evening News!

Those look like they could have come out of the National Lampoon Sunday Newspaper Parody from about 40 years ago! :D

From the hardware department at Swillmart - "Where Quality Is A Slogan"!

Edit: Actually the Lampoon Newspaper's ad was for Lumberland:

Edited by ChrisBcritter