Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gauging interest in Dodge W-300 & W-500 cab kits

I will soon be producing the W-300 & W-500 Dodge cab kit that Charlie Rowley mastered. I also have the crew cab that I mastered off of his single cab kit.

My question is how much interest is there for these kits? I am looking at doing a small limited number of each kit, not a full production run. Kit would be cab, floor, door panels, dash, seat, hood, grill, radiator support and radiator. You would need to supply the frame, engine and tires/wheels. Kits would be in the $50 to $65 range.

Let me know your thoughts and if you might be interested in one. Not holding anyone to an actual order, but this will help me understand the desire and amount I need to look at producing.

Thanks

Larry

HPIM7154-vi.jpg

HPIM7155-vi.jpg

HPIM8408-vi.jpg

Edited by Finks Garage

I have a bed to pour a mold on if enough interest in that as well. But if I make it, that would sell separate and not be part of the cab kit.

The donor frame, engine and such would be up to the end builder. There are several options and I have a template to make one from styrene that would be included in the cab kit if someone wanted to make their own ladder style frame and source suspension parts.

Thanks

Larry

A couple of thoughts on this:

1. You didn't mention the glass, will that be included too?

2. The bed would be most welcome, even if it is a separate item.

3. The frame is almost necessary and though the instructions to build one being included is nice, why not offer the frame with the kit?

4. I can figure out the drivetrain, although it would be nice to have that too.

I like the price point, but considering how much stuff would have to be sourced or scratchbuilt, it could be a deal breaker for folks who would be put off trying to find the additional parts. The Modelhaus kits run $90 + but at least they are more complete.

1, and I will be brutally honest. its going to depend on quality.

2- how complete it is . I can make my own chassis and running gear but making my own glass may be a deal killer for me.

3- at $65 for a complete W500 cab  if its essentially complete, ,,,grille already chromed. complete interior and glass included and I'm in for at least 2,,,maybe 3 or 4

IF ,,,its a  4 door cab, but may be interested in a 2 door cab as well ( just not as many )

I already have a W200 4 door cab from RMR. Its ok but not modelhaus quality

I'm the guy who first did the 1966 W300 and 1968 W500 single cabs.  There is a template from which you can make the windshield out of simple clear sheet plastic.  When I did mine I used the plastic that used to come with new shirts around the collar!:rolleyes::rolleyes:  If you clean the edges of the interior of where the windshield goes it will just pop in with no glue.  All you have to do is warm the plastic and put a slight curve in each end so that it snaps in place.  Here are the two originals as models. 

W300.thumb.jpg.f89350515c083867a3caf866fW500_64_finished_4-07.thumb.jpg.200e67ac

Edited by Chariots of Fire

I like the idea but without a matching chassis/floor pan it seems like a hard sell.

Wheels, tyres and engines can be sourced easily enough but adapting a chassis is tricky at the best of times.

You should really consider the chassis option, in fact several versions would really increase your sales. Longer wheelbase for the twin cab, maybe even a pro street version.

There is nothing people like more than a resin kit that they can complete from spare parts without the need to fork out for a whole other donor kit. Also stock and custom versions increase the build options.