Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gauging interest in Dodge W-300 & W-500 cab kits

I'm the guy who first did the 1966 W300 and 1968 W500 single cabs.  There is a template from which you can make the windshield out of simple clear sheet plastic.  When I did mine I used the plastic that used to come with new shirts around the collar!:rolleyes::rolleyes:  If you clean the edges of the interior of where the windshield goes it will just pop in with no glue.  All you have to do is warm the plastic and put a slight curve in each end so that it snaps in place.  Here are the two originals as models. 

W300.thumb.jpg.f89350515c083867a3caf866fW500_64_finished_4-07.thumb.jpg.200e67ac

HI CHARLIE, WOULD THE '68 GRILL FIT THE '66 CAB?

ALSO, ARE THERE BUILD THREADS FOR THESE TWO TRUCKS?

THANKS,  TOM

Hi, Tom.  You would have to change the front clip slightly to have the 68 grill fit the 66 cab because of the difference in the headlights.  If you notice the bezels for the lights on the 66, they are the same as on the L-700.  The part behind the chrome ring would have to be ground out (not a big job particularly) and the hood is slightly different in that the 66 hood has a small area above the headlights that is cut out.  The 68 hood is straight across.  Notice also that under the 66 headlight bezels the flat area has been cut out slightly.  Again, not a big deal that couldn't be fixed with a small piece of strip stock.

If you are familiar with Scale Firehouse you may still be able to find some in progress photos of each truck although they go back a way.  Look under the "In progress" section of the Forum.

If you don't find anything let me know via a PM.

Edited by Chariots of Fire
typo

Hi, Tom.  You would have to change the front clip slightly to have the 68 grill fit the 66 cab because of the difference in the headlights.  If you notice the bezels for the lights on the 66, they are the same as on the L-700.  The part behind the chrome ring would have to be ground out (not a big job particularly) and the hood is slightly different in that the 66 hood has a small area above the headlights that is cut out.  The 68 hood is straight across.  Notice also that under the 66 headlight bezels the flat area has been cut out slightly.  Again, not a big deal that couldn't be fixed with a small piece of strip stock.

If you are familiar with Scale Firehouse you may still be able to find some in progress photos of each truck although they go back a way.  Look under the "In progress" section of the Forum.

If you don't find anything let me know via a PM.

THANKS CHARLIE, 

DID YOU MAKE YOUR OWN FRAMES FOR BOTH TRUCKS?

ALSO, WHAT WOULD BE THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE W300 & W500?  THE FENDER FLARES LOOK A BIT WIDER & LONGER, IS THE PANEL BELOW THE GRILL WIDER AS WELL? 

I made both frames.  I was fortunate enough to obtain a Dodge body builder's book and they have line drawings of the frames for both the D series and the W series in each of the different classes.  The fender flairs on the W500 are indeed wider but the panel below the grill is the same for both.  The W500 also has a large rear window.  

Here are some additional in progress photos of the W300.  011.thumb.jpg.137d5c898eb40022010e32d95d019.thumb.JPG.0ba9726cc4f193d3623c2a5245022.thumb.jpg.678846ecfeefe97581d25df018  This photo is of the first resin pop that Tom Coolidge did back around 2004.  It is sitting on the frame that is in the photos above.

023.thumb.jpg.26c8d223ff522e6b0c23d5f4a2001.thumb.JPG.765361eb1ea84a0fa931fe2f76002.thumb.JPG.e53ba65f8b4cb96337bbb381d7

These last two photos are of the FORD that I started with to build the Dodge.  The top of the cab and windshield lines had not been finished when the photos were taken.  A 1/4" wide plastic strip was run down through the middle to make the entire cab wider.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hemi..i have been talking to larry by e-mail ..he sells the single cab only on ebay.. price ranges from $103.00 to $150.00..is not going to do the 4door yet..left rmr models an e-mail also..ron has a1965 d-100  4door for $45.00...waiting for pictures from ron..he is at a hobby show this weekend..hope this helps...oldr-n-drt

hemi..i have been talking to larry by e-mail ..he sells the single cab only on ebay.. price ranges from $103.00 to $150.00..is not going to do the 4door yet..left rmr models an e-mail also..ron has a1965 d-100  4door for $45.00...waiting for pictures from ron..he is at a hobby show this weekend..hope this helps...oldr-n-drt

I have the RMR  D100  four door cab .

I want a D500 series truck

• 1 year later...
i see a lot of chatter about these kits being on eBay but am unable to catch one,  did see one before going to the hospital to visit my wife  who had surgery due to ovarian cancer,  got home that night the kit was sold.  must hive seen it on the last   day, or perhaps it wasn't even you  ARE YOU LARRY FROM MODEL CAR MAGAZINE ?

i don't know if you are the person that's called "FINKS GARAGE" WITH THE GREEN MONSTER FACE ON THE INTERNET BUT IF YOU ARE,  I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN 3 CREW CABS TO BUILD SEVERAL HAULERS FOR

JOHN JOHNSON
5545 BIRCHWOOD ROAD
SPRING HILL, FLORIDA 34608 

i don't know if you are the person that's called "FINKS GARAGE" WITH THE GREEN MONSTER FACE ON THE INTERNET 

John,

Larry is the person behind Fink's Garage. so click on this link...:  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/profile/14420-finks-garage/

...to go to Larry's profile page, then click on "Message" to send him a direct or Private message (PM). He was logged in as of yesterday, so you should be able to get a quick response.

John,

Larry is the person behind Fink's Garage. so click on this link...:  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/profile/14420-finks-garage/

...to go to Larry's profile page, then click on "Message" to send him a direct or Private message (PM). He was logged in as of yesterday, so you should be able to get a quick response.

thanks for the direction.  am looking for 63  crew cabs that i can convert,  i am battling with heart disease, Parkinson's and diabetes   wife is at war with ovarian cancer second round so you can see, the clock is not our friend.  

Edited by JOHNnyboy