Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gauging interest in Dodge W-300 & W-500 cab kits

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2016 at 5:31 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

I'm the guy who first did the 1966 W300 and 1968 W500 single cabs.  There is a template from which you can make the windshield out of simple clear sheet plastic.  When I did mine I used the plastic that used to come with new shirts around the collar!:rolleyes::rolleyes:  If you clean the edges of the interior of where the windshield goes it will just pop in with no glue.  All you have to do is warm the plastic and put a slight curve in each end so that it snaps in place.  Here are the two originals as models. 

W300.thumb.jpg.f89350515c083867a3caf866fW500_64_finished_4-07.thumb.jpg.200e67ac

Cool build Charles. Larry, can these Cabs be still purchase? I like to do similar to what Charle’s did above. Of course, i’ll need to figure out what kit to use it with. So, let me know sir! TIA

Mike

7 hours ago, youngtiger1 said:

Cool build Charles. Larry, can these Cabs be still purchase? I like to do similar to what Charle’s did above. Of course, i’ll need to figure out what kit to use it with. So, let me know sir! TIA

Mike

Mike,

Keep in mind that the build you see of Charles' fire truck was almost all scratchbuilt. There were some kit parts but the majority of it was hand built. Search the forum and you will see the in progress pictures. It is truly a work of art as are the rest of Charles' builds and he has created a couple of nice resin masters so the rest of us can build never before offered subjects.

Hey Mike,

Yes, I understand his work is quite a bit scratch build but I was thinking I might be able to do part scratchbuilding and part kitbashing. His work is truly marvelous and pleasure to see. So, I’m slowely going through this forum and finding his builds. It’s a slow process but well worth the time ?

23 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'll be buying. When I was younger, both the USAF and the Navy were partial to these things, and I'm trying to do most of the military vehicles I knew and loved back then...

Related image

My grandpa bought a Canadian army 64D400 that was converted into a grain truck it has a 225 slant six and a 4spd. The truck bent pushrods like crazy and I turned out that someone put paint in the fuel tank after it was cleaned out it ran like a dream. It was the truck I learned to drive a standard on so I would like to biuld a replica of it one day.

I bought this D/W 300 cab with 8 foot Utilinebed from mustang_mom44820 on Ebay before Christmas:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Dodge-W300-Longbed-Truck/282814796762?hash=item41d91353da:g:5KcAAOSwiBJZ-b2m
It cost quite a bit of money but the casting is very good. Same seller has some other aswell, I want to get that D100 as soon as my paycheck clears next week.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, COChef said:

Looks like I'm out of luck finding a crew cab model any time soon especially at a price a guy on disability can afford 
Oh well maybe next time LOL!!
Thanks to everyone 

Not sure what your price range is, but keep in mind when Modelhaus was casting these and offering them for sale they went for $100. I have one to build, and will soon, but would love to see these in kit form so I can build more!

Mikemodeler,
I would be in for about $100 for a complete kit (frame,wheels,tires,bed,glass and cab) I'm on a very fixed income due to a double amputation and currently battling kidney cancer 
That's where most of my income goes ,but that's the way it goes HAHAHAHA!!!!!
To the guy that was saying he drove on of the crew cabs in Da Nang that was a bit of a sway back I've attached a pic of one of the Navy's F-100 at Chu Lai RVAN !!LOL
COChef

15085694_1699567790358744_4078186084912337905_n.jpg

On 9/9/2019 at 9:26 PM, COChef said:

15085694_1699567790358744_4078186084912337905_n.jpg

I told ya not to put your Mum in the back.. It's just a 1/2 ton..

How not to install your dump bed. 

Should have slowed down for that speed bump.

Thats one way to stick the landing.. ? 

Edited by RodneyBad
because I can.. :)

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but I hope not to see any of the single cab D or W 300's or 500's out there.  I sent my masters for someone else to cast from over 2 years ago and when I did I asked them to be returned to me once the molds were done.  I have not heard from anyone since concerning their whereabouts.

2 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but I hope not to see any of the single cab D or W 300's or 500's out there.  I sent my masters for someone else to cast from over 2 years ago and when I did I asked them to be returned to me once the molds were done.  I have not heard from anyone since concerning their whereabouts.

Oh that is horrible. I want to build an old dodge truck but looks like I'm waiting on a plastic kit. 

• 1 month later...