Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lost Words From Our Childhood

Ramfins59

For those that lived/grewup in the LA San Fernando Valley area in the 50' - 60's these 3 words will produce a Pavlov bell ringing like mouth Watering - The Helms Truck. It was a (in our area) Panel Truck from the Helms Bakery that had Fresh Bread and Pastries and Doughnuts. Curbside was the Breads and the rear had the Magical doors to the Sweets, and on Wed's only, Apple Strudel  :rolleyes:......... The simple mention of Helms brings back that Wonderful blend of Smells.

I remember the Helms truck- also the Adohr Farms milk truck (yes, we had a milkman)

I remember the Helms truck- also the Adohr Farms milk truck (yes, we had a milkman)

I can't recall the Dairy's name, but we had the clank of Glass Milk Bottles in the Mornings also until ~'62. We kids'd try to flag Milkmen down during the Summer for some free crushed Ice afternoons when they were headed back at the end of their rounds to get a quick cure to the Heat.

That's nice to hear...

You know, with the fast paced lifestyle we all lead these days, with technological advances coming at us fast and furious, with more changes than some of us are comfortable with–or can even keep up with, there's something very comforting in the fact that some "old fashioned" things (like home milk delivery) are still with us. B)

• 2 weeks later...

You know, with the fast paced lifestyle we all lead these days, with technological advances coming at us fast and furious, with more changes than some of us are comfortable with–or can even keep up with, there's something very comforting in the fact that some "old fashioned" things (like home milk delivery) are still with us. B)

I agree.  I live in an old suburb (founded 1280) of a small city in Germany.  It's a rural area, generally speaking.  Lots of local farmers will, if your a regular customer at their farm shops, also drive to your home during the week to offer their freshest products, along with other specialties from other farmers who agree to offer their goods as well.  What excellent products.  Some produce have small blemishes, unlike super market stuff.  Not perfect looking, but well grown without pesticides.  There is a definite difference in taste.  A good thing.

I agree.  I live in an old suburb (founded 1280) of a small city in Germany.  It's a rural area, generally speaking.  Lots of local farmers will, if your a regular customer at their farm shops, also drive to your home during the week to offer their freshest products, along with other specialties from other farmers who agree to offer their goods as well.  What excellent products.  Some produce have small blemishes, unlike super market stuff.  Not perfect looking, but well grown without pesticides.  There is a definite difference in taste.  A good thing.

Michael... that is so cool!

Sometimes the old ways are still the best ways... B)

Carl, yes I remember Twin Oaks Dairy.

And guess what? My neighbor across the street still gets fresh milk delivered by the milkman! Yes, in 2016! They still do it!

I'm surprised the FDA, the EPA, CDC, FTC, or the SEC haven't shut them down by now. :huh: Don't let anybody know.

Edited by Danno

Just out of curiosity, I checked out milk home delivery prices for a local dairy. Of course they have a whole menu of products, but just for example... a gallon of milk is $7.38...plus $2.99 delivery charge! So more than ten bucks for a gallon of milk delivered to your door.

Yikes...:o

That's a lotta money for moo juice...

Just out of curiosity, I checked out milk home delivery prices for a local dairy. Of course they have a whole menu of products, but just for example... a gallon of milk is $7.38...plus $2.99 delivery charge! So more than ten bucks for a gallon of milk delivered to your door.

Yikes...:o

That's a lotta money for moo juice...

I'm surprised nobody's started a DIY boutique moo shop. You brings your own bucket, and you squeezes out your own milk. Oughta be worth 15 bucks a gallon, at least. ;)

woman-milking-cow-23087560.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm surprised nobody's started a DIY boutique moo shop. You brings your own bucket, and you squeezes out your own milk. Oughta be worth 15 bucks a gallon, at least. ;)

woman-milking-cow-23087560.jpg

That might be illegal in many states. Maybe all of them. Maybe even federally. I know people have been prosecuted for selling "real" milk.

That might be illegal in many states. Maybe all of them. Maybe even federally. I know people have been prosecuted for selling "real" milk.

Yes, in Georgia there's a law on the books prohibiting the sale of "raw" unpasteurized milk for human consumption, but there are also a number of farms that sell it as "pet food" and advertise on the web. With a DIY pasteurization option, boutique milk oghta be worth $20 a gallon, eh? :D

It took me a while to read this whole thread. It is great. A lot of good memories.

Two sayings of my mom. In the winter, "Shut the door. We're not heating for the birds." And on car trips, "Shutup a look at the cows."

Boy their are so many other memories I could share. But, not now. Maybe later.

Edited by unclescott58

One favorite heard by every kid when I was growing up was "Get in there and clean that room! It looks like the Collyer brothers' house!" For those not familiar with the Collyer brothers, they were famous hoarders in New York. Unlike Homer and Langley, I can safely say that my mother never found a car chassis in my closet.

2579EA3D54125DD6244B3A.thumb.jpg.a3774ec

My grandmother used to say, "You kids would be complaining if you were first on the bread line!"  

The depression era reference was lost on us kids in the 1960s

My mother would say something similar. She, and my father, were guests of the former German government during WWII and knew from breadlines.

The last place she was interred was a DP camp in Wildflecken. Most of the people there were Poles. Mom received her first English lesson there. The Third Army liberated the camp in May 1945 and Gen. George S. Patton toured the place. A couple of G.I.s pointed him out to my mother and told her to walk up and say, "Hey, you stupid S.O.B., give me a g_dd_mn cigarette!" She did. Mom told me that he stared at her for a few seconds, his face turned a really bright red and he started laughing. He asked her, through a translator, who told her to say that. She turned around to point out the guys; but, they "disappeared". He took a liking to my mother and made her a part of his household staff. :)

My mother would say something similar. She, and my father, were guests of the former German government during WWII and knew from breadlines.

The last place she was interred was a DP camp in Wildflecken. Most of the people there were Poles. Mom received her first English lesson there. The Third Army liberated the camp in May 1945 and Gen. George S. Patton toured the place. A couple of G.I.s pointed him out to my mother and told her to walk up and say, "Hey, you stupid S.O.B., give me a g_dd_mn cigarette!" She did. Mom told me that he stared at her for a few seconds, his face turned a really bright red and he started laughing. He asked her, through a translator, who told her to say that. She turned around to point out the guys; but, they "disappeared". He took a liking to my mother and made her a part of his household staff. :)

Now, that is a classic story.