Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here is the truck that inspired amt's kit, unit 3950 just like the kit's decal sheet. There are subtle differences from the kit. Painted 1/4 fenders, steel 5 hole wheels on the drives, single exhaust stack, running lights on the hood just behind the grile and above the headlights,roof mounted air conditioner, battery/tool boxes on both sides, red frame.56b077ec9e2d9_idea20watkins3_zps2tpe62im Notice that Watkins was a big user of Great Dane reefers. They did use Fruehaufs like the kit, but with the reefer unit like the one in the Ertl Great Dane kit.  

Edited by SpreadAxle

A cool bit of reference material can be found at www.fatjacksplace.com They have a soft cover book or a CD with 100 or more photos of nothing but Watkins trucks from the 1950s to the early 1980s. Great photos and project ideas. The CD is about $20 while the book is $60. They have quite a few photo collections focusing on individual carriers or types of trucks(i.e. livestock haulers)

You're welcome. I've been meaning to share these but kept forgetting. The pic of 3950 I just had to share because it's like a piece of history for truck modelers. The fleet pic I knew you guys would enjoy. As to the Watkins Motor Lines photo cd, well worth it. Full of project ideas. Great pix of the trailers showing the change in the graphics in the early 1970s when the eskimo was removed from the trailer. Also, you will see the change from the bare metal finish to the white trailers that happened during that period.

Very Kool!:) 

Unit 3950, now we know: the origin/inspiration of AMTs W925 box art in 1971, surely AMT best truck/tractor  boxart ever,( so good it lasted until the late 80s under ERTL).

AMTs artist was also surely inspired by this, for the Fruehauf trailer box art too^_^.

Here is the truck that inspired amt's kit, unit 3950 just like the kit's decal sheet. There are subtle differences from the kit. Painted 1/4 fenders, steel 5 hole wheels on the drives, single exhaust stack, running lights on the hood just behind the grile and above the headlights,roof mounted air conditioner, battery/tool boxes on both sides.56b077ec9e2d9_idea20watkins3_zps2tpe62im Notice that Watkins was a big user of Great Dane reefers. They did use Fruehaufs like the kit, but with the reefer unit like the one in the Ertl Great Dane kit.  

http://gomotors.net/photos/11/b1/t519-kenworth-w925-amt-125_55447.jpg?i

Yes, it the Ertl reefer had stainless steel side walls , it would be a match.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/7/8/7/601787-16638-74.jpg

Watkins had lots of white Great Danes as well. If you have the Ertl GD reefer kit, you could strip the chrome and go with the white trailer. I think the stainless trailers were starting to be replaced by white ones around '71-'72. The Fruehauf pix  I have show them to be white, but with the little vent door in the upper left corner of the nose like Ertl's Great Dane kits. Here's a white GD from the '70s with the newer graphics.

Note the  eskimo has since rode his skis off the trailer. I think late 1970 or '71 is when he disappeared. Of all the Watkins pix I have, one thing I can't seem to find to confirm my theory is trailer wheel color. I believe the spokes are red, but not sure.

hd_kw4.jpg

hd_kw3.jpg

hd_kw9.jpg

Edited by SpreadAxle

• 2 months later...

just came across this site doing some internet searching and a little history of this model that's been passed down throughout my family, this model was designed from my grandfathers truck and trailer. I actually have pictures in an old album that were taken of the truck detail also one of him standing beside the truck during the original photo shoot to get the detail. when I was a young boy we would sit and put these together with my grandfather, sometimes 3 a week. I will try to post some pictures when I can find them if interested.

just came across this site doing some internet searching and a little history of this model that's been passed down throughout my family, this model was designed from my grandfathers truck and trailer. I actually have pictures in an old album that were taken of the truck detail also one of him standing beside the truck during the original photo shoot to get the detail. when I was a young boy we would sit and put these together with my grandfather, sometimes 3 a week. I will try to post some pictures when I can find them if interested.

I would be very interested in seeing those photos!! Thanks!

This is a great thread.  I have just about everything to make 3950, but I do have one question: I have both the AMT Kenworth W900 kits (one with the spring suspension & one with the torsion bar).  Does anyone know what type of suspension 3950 might have had?  I would have to guess that for a fleet truck it would have the lightest, cheapest suspension that they could get.  The spring suspension in the AMT Kenworth W900 kit s a 38000#, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread.  I have just about everything to make 3950, but I do have one question: I have both the AMT Kenworth W900 kits (one with the spring suspension & one with the torsion bar).  Does anyone know what type of suspension 3950 might have had?  I would have to guess that for a fleet truck it would have the lightest, cheapest suspension that they could get.  The spring suspension in the AMT Kenworth W900 kit s a 38000#, I believe.

I myself wouldnt worry about it cause you cant see the suspension in the photo,unless you buy the book or movie and maybe find out who would know.I would say that truck was an owner operator not a company fleet truck because its fancier than the group photo.Notice the straight pipe , slightly shorter tanks , and wheelbase than the kit.ust enough room the fit the reefer in between the cab and trailer .I say build it Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I would definitely love to see any pix you have. If you find them, please share.

Jim, I tried to examine the pic more closely, but I can't see the mounting brackets for the rear suspension to tell which one it is. Also, from what I can find, Watkins was mostly owner operator at that time. The fleet pic might be something where someone owns a small fleet, and leases it to a carrier.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, it's been awhile since I have checked this thread. I would say that if amt used this truck as a reference then it likely had a Cummins. I'm not sure about the dual air cleaners, though. If you do this build, I noticed that also, the tanks don't have steps like the kit does.

• 4 years later...

when i was a young man i buy this kit when it first came , boy i knew nothing about semi trucks , boy i missed it up looking back , at the age of 71 years old , i buy the kit that round 2 has put out , kenworth 3950 , i just build the engine in the right color , just buy the great dane reefer trailer , round 2 model comes with the decals for the trailer , did the early trailer come with stainless steel side walls and what was the color of the top of the trailer ? what did the trailer wheels looked liked , i need all pictures , can you help this old man , new in semi trucks