Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car song builds ?

Thank folks for the assistance.

Then the Lindbergh `64 Dodge 330 Polara, Color Me Gone, Ramcharger or Maverick kits would be a good base to start a build from as well as the Jo-Han `64 Dodge Super Stock kit.

_s-l225.thumb.jpg.ed68e062f5711c40a51f2ama536jLweiY_5eZd1aC5n6g.thumb.jpg.d6d717s-l225.thumb.jpg.cf1c7a0831287a48a59f40fm67hAm7Dulqw5JZ6G5_dZTA.thumb.jpg.8a156aJoHan1964DodgePolara.thumb.jpg.b5dd770da

Hummm...I feel a project in the making.

The first kit wouldn't give you the right hood but the 4 would all work

Not a huge fan of that song. But maybe I could use the Vette also for Don Henly's "Heavy Metal." The song just mentions a "clean Corvette," no year, color, engine, etc. specified.

Of course, if I paint the Vette red, I can get Prince into the act. B)

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but IIRC, the car was a four-eye C1 Corvette in the movie. A little more research shows it was a white 1960 Corvette. Of course, since it was fantasy animation, some latitude is possible. Google "heavy metal corvette" for pics and youtube clips.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but IIRC, the car was a four-eye C1 Corvette in the movie. A little more research shows it was a white 1960 Corvette. Of course, since it was fantasy animation, some latitude is possible. Google "heavy metal corvette" for pics and youtube clips.

I don't have to. I have the movie on DVD and just watched it again a couple weeks ago. B)

I have been doing some research into this and I believe you are correct. All the major car companies got in on it. Chevrolet started with the 409, Pontiac had the 421 Super Dutys , Dodge and Plymouth started out with the 383 and 413 until a rule change in 1963 allowed them to got to the 426 Max Wedge. and Ford started with the 352, 390 then the 427 as did Mercury. I don't know if Dodge or Plymouth had a specific name for there cars as different models were used over the years but some of the Plymouths were referred to as the "Max Wedge" which may be only a reference to their engines. 

Some info and lots of pictures in the link

http://georgeklass.net/super-stock.html 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jon how about a 1972 "Flat Bed Ford"

EAGLES-1972

"Take It Easy"

Well, I'm a standing on a corner
in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed
Ford slowin' down to take a look at me

Come on, baby, don't say maybe
I gotta know if your sweet love is
gonna save me

ford-f350-1972-1-1.thumb.jpg.7921efe2475

Edited by 69NovaYenko

EAGLES-1972

"Take It Easy"

in Winslow, Arizona

gonna save me

Speaking of the Eagles, "Ol' '55 would be a good one.

It was written about Glenn Frey's '55 Chevy.

Steve

Speaking of the Eagles, "Ol' '55 would be a good one.

It was written about Glenn Frey's '55 Chevy.

Steve

The lyrics of the 1974  Eagles song "Ol` 55" never indicates whether the `55 is a car or truck nor what brand of vehicle. So there is lots of leeway to use any `55 G.M., Ford, Mopar  car or truck for this build.

Well, my time went so quickly
I went lickety-splitly, out to my ol' 55
As I pulled away slowly, feelin' so holy
God, knows I was feelin' alive

And now the sun's comin' up, I'm ridin' with Lady Luck
Freeway cars and trucks

Stars beginning to fade and I lead the parade
Just a-wishin' I'd stayed a little longer
Lord, don't you know the feelin's gettin' stronger

Edited by 69NovaYenko

EAGLES-1972

"Take It Easy"

in Winslow, Arizona

gonna save me

I'll take my flatbed Ford a little bigger! :lol:

The lyrics of the 1974  Eagles song "Ol` 55" never indicates whether the `55 is a car or truck nor what brand of vehicle. So there is lots of leeway to use any `55 G.M., Ford, Mopar  car or truck for this build.

Well, my time went so quickly
I went lickety-splitly, out to my ol' 55
As I pulled away slowly, feelin' so holy
God, knows I was feelin' alive

And now the sun's comin' up, I'm ridin' with Lady Luck
Freeway cars and trucks

Stars beginning to fade and I lead the parade
Just a-wishin' I'd stayed a little longer
Lord, don't you know the feelin's gettin' stronger

Correct.

The song doesn't mention what type of vehicle.

But I've seen the documentary, "The History of the Eagles" just recently for probably the third time, and they talk about Glenn's '55 Chevy that they would cruise around in early in their career.

They even showed a photo of Glenn in front of it.

Steve

a3ab90d78a3b9a3fcec0ed0a92d30a41.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

"Ol' 55" wasn't written by The Eagles.  It was written by Tom Waits, and he wasn't singing about a Chevy:

Tom Waits (1974) introducing Ol' '55: "This (is) about a '55 Buick Roadmaster. I don't know if there's any real bona fide Buick owners out there tonight. But my goodness, that's an automobile that I swear by. It's a car that's seriously as slick as deer guts on the door knob. Climb aboard one of those suckers, make you feel like a new man. And uh... I always had these cars that I bought for like a hundred and twenty-five dollars. You sink 'bout thirty-five hundred into them, and you sell 'em for twelve fifty or so. [A lot of noise adjusting the microphone] Rattle like a damned sewing machine... And eh... I stuck to the Buick line for several years. I had two Specials (...) and I had a couple of Centuries, finally I had a Super. And then I finally picked up on this Roadmaster, and lucky to get it! So this is called 'My Ol' '55'." (Source: Passims, Cambridge, November 10, 1974)

http://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom%20waits%20library/www.tomwaitslibrary.com/cars.html

Just for the record, Waits hated the Eagles version of "Ol' 55."  In fact, he hated The Eagles generally.  He once said that Eagles albums were only good for "keeping the dust off your turntable."

Edited by Mike999
Error

"Ol' 55" wasn't written by The Eagles.  It was written by Tom Waits, and he wasn't singing about a Chevy:

http://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom%20waits%20library/www.tomwaitslibrary.com/cars.html

Just for the record, Waits hated the Eagles version of "Ol' 55."  In fact, he hated The Eagles generally.  He once said that Eagles albums were only good for "keeping the dust off your turntable."

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

You learn something new every day.

Anyway, I'm sure Glenn was thinking of his Chevy when he did the song.

Take it easy wasn't written by the Eagles either.

Jackson Browne wrote most of it.

Steve

How about a reverse car song?  A car built because it was inspired by a song.  Pontiac guru Jim Wangers did that in 1972, when he had his own Chevy dealership in Milwaukee.

At the time the Elton John song "Crocodile Rock" was a huge hit, with that line about "an old gold Chevy and a place of my own."  Wangers decided to create his own Old Gold Chevy to promote his dealership.

He was having trouble selling Vegas, so that became the target car.  Then Wangers found out something strange - black wasn't a standard Vega color in 1972. Customers couldn't order a single black Vega even if they offered to pay extra. 

Wangers: "The only way to get the car painted black was to order 50 of them at once, and then Chevrolet would build them at no extra charge. So I did...I ordered 50 black Vega coupes and wagons (no 2-door sedans)...I painted the wheels a bright sparkling gold, added a matching gold accent stripe, and an attractive gold decal emblem. The emblem featured dancing musical notes surrounding the words "The Old Gold Chevy"...

We sold them all in just three days, and took enough orders for 50 more. The factory loved me."

From Wangers' book "Glory Days: When Horsepower and Passion Ruled Detroit," pp. 242-246.  I could not find a single photo of the "Old Gold Chevy" Vega online. Or even any references to it. 

Edited by Mike999
Error

How about a reverse car song?  A car built because it was inspired by a song.  Pontiac guru Jim Wangers did that in 1972, when he had his own Chevy dealership in Milwaukee.

At the time the Elton John song "Crocodile Rock" was a huge hit, with that line about "an old gold Chevy and a place of my own."  Wangers decided to create his own Old Gold Chevy to promote his dealership.

He was having trouble selling Vegas, so that became the target car.  Then Wangers found out something strange - black wasn't a standard Vega color in 1972. Customers couldn't order a single black Vega even if they offered to pay extra. 

Wangers: "The only way to get the car painted black was to order 50 of them at once, and then Chevrolet would build them at no extra charge. So I did...I ordered 50 black Vega coupes and wagons (no 2-door sedans)...I painted the wheels a bright sparkling gold, added a matching gold accent stripe, and an attractive gold decal emblem. The emblem featured dancing musical notes surrounding the words "The Old Gold Chevy"...

We sold them all in just three days, and took enough orders for 50 more. The factory loved me."

From Wangers' book "Glory Days: When Horsepower and Passion Ruled Detroit," pp. 242-246.  I could not find a single photo of the "Old Gold Chevy" Vega online. Or even any references to it. 

Pretty much a regional thing...Only at Wanger's Chevrolet. I do recall seeing one around my old highschool. I remember the jingle for his dealership. It went "Jim Wangers, what a great great guy"'The only other black Vega was the Cosworth, which also came in green and in white. The Vega was not the only car wangers created for the dealership, he did a Monte Carlo and a Caprice (or Impala) http://www.mclellansautomotive.com/literature/items/chevrolet/b27638-chevrolet-1972-brochure.php

Wangers talks about his LS-W (W for Wangers) program in his book. He bought 25 LS-6 crate engines from Chevy and converted them to low compression hyd. lifter street engines. They did some R&D and used a 1969 SS Chevelle as a test car running low 12s at 113 mph. Some were sold as crate engines to replace a customer's worn out high compression big block and some went into new cars. It wasn't legal for a dealer to disconnect air pollution devices on a new car so Jim would have the owner drive the car around the block and bring it in as a new customer in the service garage. He had them sign an affidavit saying the car was for off road use and they also had to pick up their new big block car on a trailer. A young couple bought a 1973 350 Nova and ordered the LS-W 454 conversion using Jim's rules of signing the affidavit and picking up the car on a trailer. The couple was divorced 6 months later and the wife got the car. After she went to register the car it failed her states inspection and she went to a lawyer. Her lawyer told Jim to buy back the car or put the 350 back in with all the pollution control equipment. Jim said no and they reported him to the EPA. They used the Super Stock magazine article and the fact that the cars had radios and other options that proved to the EPA they were not off road only vehicles. The EPA made a big deal out of it in the press and fined Wangers Chevy $500,000.00 and told him to fix the woman's 73 Nova. Wangers later settled with the EPA for $500.00 and fixing the car but also agreed to stop doing engine conversions. The EPA did something similar to Motion Performance in 1974. I guess President Nixon didn't want anyone breaking the law.