Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint booth question

Hi all. I just bought a paint booth(Best choice products odor extractory hobby spray booth)for my airbrush n spray cans. My question is can I spray in my house with the vent hose to a window like it should be or would the fumes n paint still be too much? Thanks ahead of time for the responses. 

I have a Pace Peacemaker, which has a squirrel-cage blower and exhaust setup to extract overspray and paint fumes out of the house, through a window. To set this up, I simply bought a clothes dryer exhaust hose & vent kit (any hardware store or lumberyard will have this!), and a precut plywood shelf, that I cut down to fit the width of the window frame.  Using a hole saw sized for the vent, I simply cut a hole in that plywood, installed the exterior dryer vent,installed that, then hooked up the dryer hose to my spray booth outlet and the dryer vent.

When I need to paint something, it's as simple as opening the window,placing that plywood "plug" in the opening, then closing the sash down on top of it to secure the plug, turn on the exhaust blower and spray away.  I NEVER get any paint fumes in my model room (I have an apartment in an older house which has a common HVAC system, and two apartments downstairs (occupied by elderly women with sensitive noses), and they've never noticed a hint of paint fumes.

Art

Art, does that vent blow overspray all over the outer window and building? Or do the filters catch all the color?

Decent filters should catch enough of it for whatever remains to be negligible. Dry particulate matter and atomized paint (lacquer droplets will be dry by the time they reach the filtering medium, and enamels will be sticky enough to stick to it nicely) are really pretty easy to control. Even a furnace filter should catch 99% of it.

I used stacked (2) furnace filters on the output-air from a booth where I shot gelcoat in a composite shop. Never a drop of white gelcoat on my dark-blue XJ-6 parked right behind it.

Mario, The paint booth filter should catch 99% of the fumes and over spray. The filter needs to be changed pretty often if its doing its job. I replace my filter often with cheap furnace filters from home depot. If I spray rattle can paint I usually leave the piece in the booth and let the fan keep running a while until the paint fumes work off.

IMG_20160203_132446.jpg

IMG_20160203_132510.jpg

Ok thanks. I usually paint in my garage. But it's a pain because it's cold have to turn on torpedo heater n I got some batman collectibles in my garage I didn't want to get overspray on. But then I thought is it possible to do it in my house so thanks a lot guys