Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bugatti Type 35 Revival of Italy...small steps to a Pocher

Twokidsnosleep

Hey guys

I have been pretty quiet with my builds and have not shown much due to busyness with a house build and the rest of life.

But got challenged to join a build on an British model site for a group car build...soo away we go

Revival of Italy Bugatti..white metal multimedia kit of questionable fit and quality

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

I say in the title small steps to a Pocher as I have never built a metal kit with screws and plastic parts, so it is another step to skill building and doing those kits

Straight out of the box, I broke a bolt that connects the engine block to the oil pan...had a good laugh at myself as I know better, will show the recovery of that later

The instructions are all photos, problem being the diagrams don't match the part shapes close enough and no numbers. Does that sound a little Pocherous of it or what

Lots of metal flash to file, all screw holes must be reamed out and pre-threaded carefully. I made a brass rivet to replace a poorly fitting screw. That black arm looks nothing like the photo, came all scratched up and fits like sock on a chicken. I cut off the white metal pin, drilled and added the brass pin for the rear end...just to get more strength and better fit.

No paint going on her yet, I am going to test fit it up to completion, solve fit problems, then teardown, paint and re-assemble...someone say just like a Pocher???

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Making new trailing arms out of telescoping brass tubing  and added acopper shim stock floor with rivets for the cockpit.

Used a brass rod as a new front frame pin so it actually fits the holes properly and got her to the last pic's test fit stage at 10:40 last night according to my watch...that is past my bedtime on a school night

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

'Pocherous'. I love it.  :lol:A term by which all mechanical things wacky are described. You're in The Club.

Great to see you back on the WIP page Scott. And you're right; this is closer to Pocher than I remembered (did the F-2, decades ago). Pick up the good techniques from this that will apply to that huge stash of P's you've got.

And get one on the bench...

'Pocherous'. I love it.  :lol:A term by which all mechanical things wacky are described. You're in The Club.

Great to see you back on the WIP page Scott. And you're right; this is closer to Pocher than I remembered (did the F-2, decades ago). Pick up the good techniques from this that will apply to that huge stash of P's you've got.

And get one on the bench...

Ha Ha, I had you in mind when that Pocherous word came to my mind. Great to hear from you

As I did when I forced a screw and snapped it, I think you were actually on my shoulder laughing along with me. I immediately flashed back to reading your threads and warnings about finicky Pocher kits.

When we place dental implants (titanium screws) into jaw bones, mentors taught me to "jiggy jack" the implant by hand into final position. What that means is threading, then backing off, threading in more, then backing off again....thus you work your screw into perfect position by slowly expanding the bone. It applies to modelling screws as well as surgery. 

This is not an inexpensive kit, so I expected a bit more fit and finish, but honestly now the kit is just a starting point framework for me making it into what I want.

So I didn't freak out when that screw broke the FIRST time I touched the kit to build it!! Tried to drill out the broken bolt, but it is harder than the surrounding white metal, so my drill skipped and went into white metal, now off centre. Hmmm.

I CA glued a brass tube into place to act as an adjustable guide and allow the block and oil pan to align and seat properly.

IMG_1132.jpg

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Good to see you up and running Scott ... is this your first build in the new digs? 

Thats a fancy looking kit. I'm sure you'll do it justice.

im pretty sheltered ... what's a group build exactly?

Hey man

Nope, the house build is ongoing still. We are just shy of 'close up' where roof, windows and external walls are sealed.

My model space looks like this right now. Windows are in now, the corner upstairs room is modelling space

IMG_0174.jpeg

Inside the model room with my exploring pup

image_27.jpeg

A group build is a bunch of internet geeks making a model on a particular broad subject and showing the progress and finals...I did one last year with a Star Wars theme, posted a thread on here of finished X Wing

The Bugatti kit is exotic, but high maintenance. I have to struggle every part into place and lots of filling for metal flash and opening holes, smoothing and replacing pins with brass for better strength

I love these Bugatti racers, so was attracted to the kit and it is a bit of a labour of love...others would hate these kits

Thanks for the kind comments

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Thanks to both my Swedish friends for the comments; two great model makers!!

Thomas' Fiat racer is a true inspiration of superb craftsmanship

Bo is building an awesome Pocher Mercedes and letting us tag along and watch

I will attempt to make something out of this kit. Funny as there are tons for sale on E Bay, but you see very few of them completed. Hmmmmm

I got it to this stage last night with the front suspension trial fits. I have to man handle the upper body in place or it pops off and flies across the room!!

image_18.jpeg

Rough assembled one wheel/tire to find all four are missing thread inserts to attach to the wheel to the hubs...arrrggg

IMG_1136.jpg

Either I order a part from Italy or make it myself...probably will try the latter

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

This is an interesting build ... I'll be watching

Praise the warm winter we're having after seeing what you're living in! Down here in Massachusetts we haven't even has more than a 2" snowfall and it been 50C the past few days!

Thanks for looking!!

It is rain that kills us up here,much like Seattle's weather. It slows down construction and man does everything stay wet forever. Snow stays up in the hills

Thanks for looking!!

It is rain that kills us up here,much like Seattle's weather. It slows down construction and man does everything stay wet forever. Snow stays up in the hills

Yeah, same here. Last year it snowed in December and stayed all winter with no rail .. like in the god old days!

Great little joint you're putting up there pal. Building room is cool. Ask the builders to put some AC ducting in and through the wall (with a closure flap) for your spray booth exhaust. Better now than when closed up.

Yes it is going to be a great house

Thanks for the vent tip and Guido has said ok to that and he put two A/C vents into my other shop area on the main floor....woodshop, leather area and a spray booth.

I decided to have a separate modelling area for dust and mess control. Hope the wife lets me fully outfit the model room as it takes away a second spare bedroom from visitors...ie FEWER RELATIVES OVER

The official workshop space is the far right opening on the main level in this pic below....too messy right now for a new pic as it is storage for lumber

IMG_0776.jpg

Then this garage went up last week. My 14 yr old son is eyeing up the RHS bay for a car lift/ tinkering space

image_28.jpeg

Did I mention I am working until I am 1000 yrs old???

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

You're doing it right - no cutting corners. Like building a P'car.

Good - people will still need teeth 960 years from now. Still 'no sleep'?? - he's FOURTEEN.

I have been pretty lucky in life....great wife, two good kids, a good job, lots of hobbies and interests.

The house is icing on the cake and designed so we can stay in it a long time. Trying not to cut corners, but also not spend stupidly. We will all live pretty nicely when it is done right down to space for the puppy dog.

It isn't a full on dream house loaded with gadgets and trendy style and stuff , it will be just perfect for us. 

If my back and body holdout I will work for a while and hopefully my son does really want to follow in footsteps as he indicated.

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Not much progress last night. Was attempting to tap brass and aluminum rods to accept the threads from the wheel hubs

I think I have figured an approach to making the knock off hubs actually thread in and attach the wheels, just don't have the right tap and die tools for it yet.

Hunted the messy storage garage in rental house hoping my Canadian tire T&D set might have something small enough. I cannot even find the kit!! The joys of moving.

So was surfing internet to research micro T&D's....lots of stuff for micro taps, will go to a LHS and bring my parts along see if I can get something locally

Hey if I can put threads on brass, I can make parts like crazy!!!!