Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW UPDATE 02/15 What to use in place of lacquer thinner

This thread has me very confused. I've been using my Grex Tritium for several years with nothing but lacquer and cleaning/thinning with hardware store lacquer thinner. No problems. None. Bought the fan spray as an add-on as soon as they were available. No problems there either. Just don't get it!???

4 minutes ago, mr moto said:

This thread has me very confused. I've been using my Grex Tritium for several years with nothing but lacquer and cleaning/thinning with hardware store lacquer thinner. No problems. None. Bought the fan spray as an add-on as soon as they were available. No problems there either. Just don't get it!???

I was just told that Grex updated the seal.

What size needle do you use for car bodies?

2 hours ago, crowe-t said:

I was just told that Grex updated the seal.

What size needle do you use for car bodies?

I'm using the 0.5 mm. Also have the 0.7 but it seems like overkill. Too much of the paint is wasted as overspray. 

Very informative thread. I guess the lacquer thinner in this area is unlikely to contain much acetone. I did see some Duplicolor brand lacquer thinner at a local Pep Boys that said it was 100 percent acetone. Fortunately, I passed on it.

It's funny, but I've been airbrushing for probably 30 years and have never had to worry about anything like this.

I've had a Creos PS-290 that I use for bodies for a few yeas now, (it also has the pistol grip) and an old Badger 200 NH that I've had for nearly that entire 30 year period and I shoot lacquer and lacquer thinner through them both all of the time.

I guess this just amplifies the fact that not all equipment is created equal, even if it does have a fancy name.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

This thread is 5 years old, and just bright back recently.  Looking at the old posts, the original problem seemed to be resolved by using another brand of lacquer thinner). Plus in 5 years who knows what other things have changed (like airbrush O-ring formulation.

I know one thing for sure: Badger 200 (which I have been using for over 30 years), and probably other models, in the paint path use Teflon gaskets, which are unaffected by anything I shoot through it.  No worries, no complications.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

This thread is 5 years old, and just bright back recently.  Looking at the old posts, the original problem seemed to be resolved by using another brand of lacquer thinner). Plus in 5 years who knows what other things have changed (like airbrush O-ring formulation.

I know one thing for sure: Badger 200 (which I have been using for over 30 years), and probably other models, in the paint path use Teflon gaskets, which are unaffected by anything I shoot through it.  No worries, no complications.

Wow, I didn't notice that this was an old thread.  I have an old Badger 175 Crescendo that has been serving me for well over 25 years.  Shortly after I got it, I took it to Coast Airbrush and they swapped out the seals with Teflon.  Never had to do a thing since.  I also have two Tamiya HG brushes and an Iwata HVLP gun.  I have airbrush bottles for each that have either lacquer thinner or acetone in them that I use for cleaning.  I have let them sit for up to a week loaded and never had any problem with seal degradation or blow by.  It is so worth the effort to find replacement teflon seals!

Edited by Pete J.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, mr moto said:

I'm using the 0.5 mm. Also have the 0.7 but it seems like overkill. Too much of the paint is wasted as overspray. 

Very informative thread. I guess the lacquer thinner in this area is unlikely to contain much acetone. I did see some Duplicolor brand lacquer thinner at a local Pep Boys that said it was 100 percent acetone. Fortunately, I passed on it.

I bought the Grex Tritium.TG Micro Spray Gun Set with a .5mm needle.  It's an awesome airbrush.  I like the trigger and the fan spray cap gives a lot of coverage.