Model Cars Magazine Forum

help with venting airbrush set up

Hi I have windows that are like this, they wind out and have a built in but removable screen. 

IMG_0645.thumb.JPG.bcac0898c471ebd0606e3

Now my basement windows are smaller, more like bathroom windows and wind upward and out, but still have a built in screen.

My question is how to I go about running my vent hose from my airbrush booth to these?

Ive read I may not really need a vent booth for tamiya acrylics, but however for lacquer and urethane clears I wouldn't need a booth but would like one for those. Id only be using lacquers and urethane clears for the body parts, rest of the car painting would be tamiya acrylics thinned down with lacquer thinner.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

First a couple of questions: Do you rent or own? In other words are you allowed to cut a 6 inch hole in wall? Second question:  Is this going to be a permanent long term paint area? If you're allowed to cut a hole and your going to stay in that part of the house to paint I would suggest venting your paint booth with a clothes dryer vent below the window out of sight. If you spray acrylic only you could use an indoor clothes dryer filter.

81XqmAeE47L._SY355_.jpg

Well I live in parents house, so can't really put a hole in the wall. YH70 that would work but it have to go over the screen.

Im wandering if I can just put the dryer vent hose on the screen its self, although it may just blow back in, and wouldn't want paint on the window.

Im wandering If I take a box fan face the fan part straight on a wall with a heavy filter in place, then on the back of the fan where it would draw the air and place a filter there, if that would do anything.

The paint and the fumes would go straight into the wall its self aka dry wall and I could tightly seal it.

I also wander if venting it into a tub of water would do anything. The acrylic smell could be tolerated with out a booth, It's the lacquer or urethane clear I would be spraying sometimes is what the problem is.  

Well I live in parents house, so can't really put a hole in the wall. YH70 that would work but it have to go over the screen.

Im wandering if I can just put the dryer vent hose on the screen its self, although it may just blow back in, and wouldn't want paint on the window.

Im wandering If I take a box fan face the fan part straight on a wall with a heavy filter in place, then on the back of the fan where it would draw the air and place a filter there, if that would do anything.

The paint and the fumes would go straight into the wall its self aka dry wall and I could tightly seal it.

I also wander if venting it into a tub of water would do anything. The acrylic smell could be tolerated with out a booth, It's the lacquer or urethane clear I would be spraying sometimes is what the problem is.  

A window screen won't be strong enough to hold a dryer vent.  You can, however, get a sheet of plywood, cut to the size of the window opening, figure out how to secure it in your "dormer-style window" (ask your Dad to help you with that), so that it can be removed when not painting.  When you want to paint, simply crank the window open, insert that panel with your vent hose in it, make sure it's secure, and spray away!  (Be sure to use a filter at the inside end of that hose if your spray booth doesn't already have one, to keep overspray "dust" from dirtying up the window glass, of course!)

Art

• 1 month later...

Late to this discussion but the windows in our basement utility room (where the booth is) have crank up and out casement windows. I took a 3/16 thick piece of Plexiglas, cut a hole in it to accommodate a dryer vent and installed it in front of the window so there still was natural light coming in. The windows can still be closed.