Model Cars Magazine Forum

Goodbye Scion

Toyota is finally killing of the Scion brand

The Scion brand is no more. Well, at least, soon it won’t be.

On Wednesday morning, Scion announced that, starting in August, all 2017 model year Scion models will be sold as rebadged Toyotas. The FR-S sports car, iA sedan, iM five-door hatch, and C-HR will live on as Toyotas. However, the tC coupe will be given one final edition and then sent out to pasture at the end of the 2016 model year.

Scion was started in 2003 to attract younger buyers who already knew the value of the Toyota brand but didn’t necessarily want to own a Corolla like mom. The brand seemed to start off strong but fizzled in the subsequent years. In fact, many of us automotive journalists wondered aloud to one another why Scions couldn’t just be Toyotas. Appears people inside Toyota wondered the same.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/see-ya-scion-car-tried-181110475.html

It only makes sense. Now hopefully they can continue the FR-S as the GT-86 here, and put some more TRD versions out.  Really what Toyota should have done is instead of creating a whole new line and brand, they should have developed TRD more and made it a true in house tuning/performance division. For example, M in BMW, Polestar in Volvo, AMG in Mercedes, F in Lexus, SVT/ST/Shelby with Ford, and what not. TRD should have been something similar imo. I think that is what they will do. They will release that "supra" prototype as the flagship, the FR-S will move over to the toyota brand to be a cheaper alternative. 

That FRS is a great little car, very fun to drive, the power to weight ratio and being rear wheel drive will make you a believer. In the real world, the car is already badged as a Toyota, they also make one badged as another brand, I forget which. For some reason in the USA Toyota decided to badge the car as a Scion instead of as a Toyota. Perhaps to boost the Scion image.

If I was looking for a 2 seat, really fun little car, I would not hesitate to buy a FRS. Nice looking too. To be practical, I will keep my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and not buy a 2 seater anytime soon.

Edited by Bill J

That FRS is a great little car, very fun to drive, the power to weight ratio and being rear wheel drive will make you a believer. In the real world, the car is already badged as a Toyota, they also make one badged as another brand, I forget which. For some reason in the USA Toyota decided to badge the car as a Scion instead of as a Toyota. Perhaps to boost the Scion image.

If I was looking for a 2 seat, really fun little car, I would not hesitate to buy a FRS. Nice looking too. To be practical, I will keep my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and not buy a 2 seater anytime soon.

It's also a Subaru BRZ. :)

We had a 09 XB...ran and drove great but got very poor gas milage (geared too low and poor areo) and while it was trouble free it wasn't as well built as our previous Toyotas.  

Our new Camry gets far better milage (35+ highway vs 28) and is much better built and it only cost about $1200 more.

Edited by mike 51

I read somewhere a while ago that the Scions were rebadged Dihatsu's. Anyone know if that is true or not ?

Nope.

It is pure Toyota (made in Japan).  All the parts have Toyota markings on it and the xB was sold as Toyota bB in Japan. I read that it shares its drivetrain with Toyota Echo.

We had a 09 XB...ran and drove great but got very poor gas mileage (geared too low and poor areo) and while it was trouble free it wasn't as well built as our previous Toyotas.

I agree 100%. The first generation xB was cuter and better than the second generation (2008 and up) xB. I usually get mid-30 MPGs in my 2006.

We bought a brand new white XB in 2005, and frankly, it's the best daily driver I have ever owned. Consistently pulls 40 plus MPG on the highway; roomy, comfortable, good stereo, AC, power windows, for under 15 grand brand new......Looks small, but I can get 40 2x4x8's in it ( if I leave the wife at home) and it's taken me to the Toledo NNL, NNL east, and a lot of other shows; I'm quite happy with it.............