Model Cars Magazine Forum

MJ Engines

dragalley

Scrub the resin parts with hot water with a bit of Dawn dishwashing soap in it. Use a stiff bristle brush or a toothbrush. Rinse in hot water then dry very well, keep your oily fingers off the parts. :)

Mist a couple of light coats of Dupont Sandable grey primer and let dry. Put on a couple of heavier coats, don't go crazy though. If you want aluminum looking blocks and heads spray with a ceramic Brake Caliper Paint. It looks just like cast aluminum.

Mark

Edited by astroracer

You can also soak the parts in Westley's Bleche Wite whitewall cleaner. I am sure there are more things to use, but, that works pretty darn good for removing any mold release. 

Please keep us posted on this build. I have a few of Mark's engines and I should be building a stalled project soon with one!! 

Many Thanx for all your comments and your help.  My plan is to build a dual engine BBC AA/GD from my younger days called the Shottgun Express out of NY.  I'll be using a modified CA Charger FED body with some aftermarket products.  Haven't decided on everything yet.  Need to figure out how to post pictures but that's not a big issue.

Tim... As others have mentioned already I use Westley's Bleche Wite and then after I do that for a bit I then wash the parts with Dawn with a little scrub down. I will tell you hands down that Mark Johnson has the best resin engines in the business. You can see Marks 426 Hemi that I am using in my 1/16h Army Vega F/C build. I would sure love to see this Dual engine dragster you are going to be doing. It sounds like it will be a killer build. For posting pictures I would recommend either Photobucket or Fotki to upload your pics to and post them from there. I am looking forward to seeing some progress pics of your dual engine FED as I love 1/16th scale builds.

George... They are talking about 1/16th scale Resin engines from Mark Johnson. As of right now I am unaware if he has a website. If you get a hold of Mark, he will be more than willing to send you pics of his engines and parts that he makes. If you want I can PM you his email addy.

Chris......Thanx for the tips.  To be honest I've been following your Army build since the beginning and will soon have time to test myself although not quite as detailed as you have.  That Vega is killer.  The MJ engines are the best.  Have a 392 (Beebe & Mulligan), SOHC (not sure for what yet) and the 2 BBC for the Shottgun Express AA/GD.  It's going to be fun.

Jesse.....Thanx for your help.  I picked up some Westley's at O'Reilly's yesterday and will see how it works.

George.....I ordered mine through Ted's Modeling Marketplace.  Great pictures that Jesse posted of his work.

Tim... You are welcome. Thanks for following along on the Army Vega. I can't wait to see you start yout twin enging Shotgun Express. Going to be a sweet build.

Michael.... All of Mark Johnson's engine's are 1/16th scale. They are very nice resin engines and you won't be disappointed if you ever get one from him.

I have some of his Chrysler 392, 417 Donovan, Ford SOHC and his BBC with an Arias Conversion and without. Awesome detail and quality. 

Pics from the web

beebe-mulligan-392-002.jpg

Teds_427_SOHC_1__55995.1411243543.1280.1

BBC53_zps2b181103.jpg

Wow, extremely nice resin cast engines. It's just too bad that I don't have any use for them as I got rid of all my 1/16th scale kits while "thinnin' the herd."

I can also attest to the highest of quality of Mark's resin engines. I have an early 392 of his and have plans later on for its use. He's also a great guy to deal with as I had the opportunity to meet him and see his workshop.

I'm looking forward to your build as well Tim. Let us know when you get a thread started.

Hello, I too would like to know how to go about ordering his BBC, I'll be building Wild Willie Borsch F/C and he ran a BBC so how do I go about ordering one. Thanks Rick

Rick... you can email Mark and order from him... his email is mjaafd1@msn.com

Edited by Mooneyzs