Model Cars Magazine Forum

1993 #24 Lumina Paint Questions

steelhead26

Hello guys, hope all is well. Picked a Gordon lumina today to practice on. Noticed that the directions call for dayglow red and a blue. Can't seem to find either in spray. Just wanted to see what you guys who have built one have used. I searched the previous posts but many of the images were gone for some reason.

Thanks

Joe

Thanks Old Coyote, On my way to check that out right now. I just figured it was some out of production paint from back in 1993.

Edit. That site is awesome. Will save me many headaches trying to figure out what to use.

Thanks again

Joe

Edited by steelhead26
additional info

I use Testors Fluorescent Red on my build it worked ok. I found it a little tricky to spray. If you are using a air brush I recommend practice on a scrap body or some sheet styrene, thinning to the proper consistency can be a challenge. Also all fluorescent colors are flat and will need to be clear coated. 

Dupont 5.JPG

Dupont 14.JPG

Dupont 11.JPG

Thank you all for the replies. i really appreciate them. Hope with some practice I can build cars the quality of the ones that you guys have shared. I can't even imagine how long it took or where to even get those engine cables and fittings, i almost bought the Cope Purolator kit but the checkerboard scared me away. I am possibly the world's worst model painter. Also, I see a few mentions about putting clear coat on. Do you do that before or after you decal the model. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the patience.

Joe

Decals won't adhere to a flat finish, they need a smooth, glossy surface to stick well.  Therefore you need to spray the red first, then lay down a gloss coat before applying decals.  Some folks then put another coat of clear over the decals to seal them but I never have.  If you decide to, test first to make sure the clear your using is compatible with the decals.

Just a thought, you may want to tackle something a little simpler than the #24 for practice.  That is not an easy scheme to complete, FWIW.

Thanks bbowser, I appreciate the tips. Just finished an Earnhardt Jr. AC Delco which is one color and came out decent for the first model in over ten years. I'm about half way done with a 98 Terry Labonte (Figured I'd try one with 2 colors) and have already sanded it down twice as the testors yellow little spray can seems to spray great then start to spit little globs. Picked up a can of Krylon fusion today that will hopefully spray even. I think I will take your advice and do a 2001 Harvick White Goodwrench next for practice. Slowly plugging along but enjoying and learning.

Thanks

Joe

Great Idea Joe ........... small steps make for better early results .......... the DuPont car can come in time ................ I definitely want to see pictures of the '98 Terry Labonte car ............. If you didn't already know, I'm a Terry Labonte fanatic ............ I've built a few '98 Kelloggs cars, but not the primary Corn Flakes livery .............. but I have done the '97 and '99

Kelloggs97-1.JPG

Kelloggs99-1.JPG

Edited by Old Coyote

Those are awesome Old Coyote! The top one looks like the one I'm working on. The paint came out ok, though the instructions called for Medium Dark Red which appears to be a few shades darker than I remembered Terry's car. Hopefully I will have time to finish the chassis this weekend. Barring any decal issues I believe I will pleased for my second build in a decade. Speaking of decal work, I bet that Iron Man car was a nightmare to decal. I wish I would have done the Terry Kellog's Lumina instead, I like the longer look of those boats.

Thanks

Joe

Love the black and white one. I have a big collection of racing cards and remember seeing this one. How did you get the goodyear decals to stick on the tires so well? Seems like the ones I get have an upraised text of some sort on them, I tried sanding them off but actually made it look worse.

Thanks

Joe

Love the black and white one. I have a big collection of racing cards and remember seeing this one. How did you get the goodyear decals to stick on the tires so well? Seems like the ones I get have an upraised text of some sort on them, I tried sanding them off but actually made it look worse.

Thanks

Joe

I cut the mounting rib out of the inside of the tires with a #11 Xacto knife and mount the wheels in the tires "from the wrong side" ........ that is, with the side that has no raised text facing outward .......... then I apply the decal or dry transfer to that smooth side .......... the yellow Goodyear markings on the black and white Lumina are Shabo dry transfers .......... unfortunately Shabo is no longer in business so now I'm stuck with using decals

The 24 Monte was one of the first NASCAR models I ever did.  I ended up using Fluorescent Red as well.  It looked good and I will be using it again when I move into some of the Gordon's I've got to do.

One thing not mentioned is that you should mask out the Dupont logo that goes on the hood and paint that area white.  It will keep the white Dupont letters from having a pinkish tinge to them.

• 2 weeks later...