Model Cars Magazine Forum

Twisted Fish - 3/13, main pieces put together.

The Fisherman

Started this project a few weeks ago. Plans are to do a series of three(3) builds all based off the same vehicle: 1st a (semi) factory original, 2nd a rundown/abused version, and 3rd a resurrection. I'm calling this an OOB build as there's no major changes being done. Any and all comments, pointers, suggestions, sarcasms, etc. are openly encouraged. Starting point from the box:

Box_contents.thumb.jpg.04402afab2ec2be63

Sanded down the body mold lines and flash and shot the body/grill/hood with primer. Scribed the panel lines:

Body_lines_scribed.thumb.jpg.a2b64f30ed2

Very early in the build my visions started getting cloudy. I want to keep things original, yet present some "extra step" aspects to the finished piece. Saying this, I just had to open those gills up:

Open_gills.thumb.jpg.efe7a22ca0abf1a3f3b

Also the OCD in me couldn't stomach the front fender lines that are not supposed to be there. Laid out where the correct panels should be and started cutting (does this change the OOB status?):

Correcting_body_lines.thumb.jpg.b28bb6ac

Edited by The Fisherman

While waiting for primer coats to dry, I turned my attention to the engine:

Hemi_construction.thumb.jpg.2cb488a781a0

Which very quickly lead me to the anorexic headers that are supplied. They had to go; started bending up a replacement set:

1st_header_construction.thumb.jpg.195906

Following through on the exhaust side of things took me to the tubing that was molding in with the chassis. Went back and forth if I just wanted to paint it and call it done, or if I wanted to create more work for myself. Figured the build is what the fun is all about, so the tools were picked up again and the removal process began:

Chassis_start.thumb.jpg.e1e7aea371f24a2d

Planned replacement:

Exhaust_replacement.thumb.jpg.39a069bec6

Front fender body work is completed. Primer coat only shows me that the side marker outline needs enhanced just a bit to return to to where it should be:

Front_fenders_corrected.thumb.jpg.547363

Chassis has been painted. This is where I realized I made a wrong turn. I wanted to finish this with a factory look of steel with body color overspray, but I automatically went into show car mindset and went with a flat finish and gloss frame rails. I haven't talked myself out of pulling the chassis out of the next box and completely redoing it and save this one for build #2. Note the headers in this layout........they have turned into a real....................how do you say.............pain:

Chassis_painted.thumb.jpg.46341122f5ce56

Pleased with how the exhaust piping came out between the mufflers and resonators. Wheels have been started as well:

Chassis_with_rear_exhaust.thumb.JPG.4ef8

Need to spend some time cleaning up the open tailpipe tips. They're open, but the lines aren't clean enough for me to sleep at night yet:

Opened_exhaust_tips.thumb.JPG.fe2f3787b2

Edited by The Fisherman
Spelling

Still on the motor. The chrome carbs and valve covers just didn't seem right to me:

Chromed_pieces.thumb.jpg.f889e0cfc138b29

So they had to go:

Westleys_Bleche-Wite.thumb.jpg.98549e54e

Now they are at a point they can be made into something more believable:

Chrome_removed.thumb.jpg.7a1fb8bbedd56ab

This is how bad things get started. The motor and transmission are done in correct Hemi orange, carbs are as detailed as I can do within my abilities at this time, valve covers are textured and painted, and a few of the small details are getting done:

Hemi_started.thumb.JPG.d833887ee5b064f2a

Front and rear suspension painted with a metallic black. Still haven't decided what I'm doing about the chassis as a whole yet:

Front_suspension.thumb.JPG.09484b469caa6

rear_axle_and_suspension.thumb.JPG.a09f3

Hemi construction continues. Distributor is in and wired for clearance under the air hat, carbs have been modified to reflect correct orientation, and the the fuel line from pump is started:

Hemi_wired.thumb.JPG.7005b0dec101b062b51

My work space, stolen from one of my jig making benches:

Work area.jpg

Edited by The Fisherman
Picture caption

A quick mock up to see how things are shaping up. Take note, the headers are.....................missing:

Rolling_chassis_mock-up.thumb.jpg.5eec8a

Turns out, the header itself is quite easy to make. Fitment is a whole different story. This is the pile:

Header_scrap.thumb.jpg.423a4e9d24871762f

But, things do come together given enough time and determination. Now to figure out the collectors:

Final_headers.thumb.JPG.ea857bc17977cd84

Left side air hat.jpg

The box Hemi leaves a bit to the imagination on the front end. The water pump and timing belt cover are, well, skinny to nonexistant. I'm guessing in 1971 an oil filter was also an aftermarket option. I'm certain one will find it's way on, but not right now. Opted to use aftermarket pulleys and belt rather than the preformed piece that is supplied. The crank and camshaft pulleys required some clearance trimming to work with each other. PE fan was used to keep things "cool. Fuel deliver lines and transfer block have also been completed:

Motor_front_view.thumb.jpg.ca1f6662ea3f8

The headers are DONE. I absolutely refuse to futz with them any longer. Ended up moving down to a scaled 2½" tube and still had to notch the front end for clearance reasons. I tried using the techniques found within this wonderful site to make the collectors but ended up with more scrap than pieces I liked the looks of. Ended up tapering three(3) different size aluminum tubes inside each other, filling the "steps" they each created, and massaging them to a smooth, tapered finish:

Motor_with_headers_on_stand.thumb.JPG.d0

Final detail was a set of flanges to mate with the exhaust on the chassis:

Header_rear_view.thumb.JPG.6e7ced4df7241

Some nice work going on so far with this. Nice job on the corrections you've made. It will improve the over all look.

Beware of the hood fit with the shaker scoop. It's not great and it's very tricky to get the hood to close even most of the way with the scoop in place on the engine. If you haven't yet, do A LOT of test fitting with the body on and the engine in and do it before body paint to avoid any major issues.

Keep it going!

Nice work B) How did you get the crinckled look to the rocker boxes

Heavy scratch (400 grain sandpaper) after the chrome removal, etching primer coat, flat black heavy coat, sifted baking soda over the still wet flat black coat, then an immediate 2nd heavy coat of flat black.