Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1962 Dart 440 dash

DR JAY

..As I was scratchbuilding an interior for my Max Wedge, full detail conversion of the Johan USA Oldies release of the 62 Dart, I noticed something wrong about the kit supplied dash. After a brief image search, my suspicions that the kit had the wrong dash were confirmed. The dash is for a 1963 Polara, not a 62 Dart. As this is my 1st time working with this kit, my question is- `was this  "normal" for this particular kit to have the wrong dash for the newer Dodge? I got the kit as an opened but complete model with some parts off the sprues but completely accounted for in the box. I'm currently attempting to convert the dash back to a close copy of the 62 dash, but it will need some work. I was just curious--My scratchbuilding skills far outweigh my frugal nature and I can't see looking for and purchasing a resin dash in my future. It just seemed strange, is all...

..As I was scratchbuilding an interior for my Max Wedge, full detail conversion of the Johan USA Oldies release of the 62 Dart, I noticed something wrong about the kit supplied dash. After a brief image search, my suspicions that the kit had the wrong dash were confirmed. The dash is for a 1963 Polara, not a 62 Dart. As this is my 1st time working with this kit, my question is- `was this  "normal" for this particular kit to have the wrong dash for the newer Dodge? I got the kit as an opened but complete model with some parts off the sprues but completely accounted for in the box. I'm currently attempting to convert the dash back to a close copy of the 62 dash, but it will need some work. I was just curious--My scratchbuilding skills far outweigh my frugal nature and I can't see looking for and purchasing a resin dash in my future. It just seemed strange, is all...

Is your dash from a '63 Polara? Or a '62 Plymouth? I remember buying that kit about the last time it was readily available. And I too noticed it had the wrong dash. A few years before, they had the correct '62 Dart dash in it. I thought my last JoHan '62 Dart had the dash from the '62 Plymouth? It's been a long time. So I maybe wrong on that. 

Edited by unclescott58

It doesn't surprise me that your 62 Dodge kit has the wrong dash. That USA Oldie Johan Dodge kit was made more than 10 years after the original issue. Johan compiled the USA Oldies kits using what tools they could find. The USA Oldies '62 Chrysler 300 has a '63 or '64 interior.

Unfortunately, it appears that Modelhaus doesn't offer the original dash.

You did a great job making the dash.

Nice work, Bob! I've done exactly the same work to my body as you have done, and this evening's task is the dash and door panels. The dash has been sanded on the left and now it's time for the gauge bezels. The door panels just need scribing...I Have used the 68 Charger chassis as the basis--I prefer the detail to that of the Lindberg.

Thanks for the info regarding the dashes...I thought it was maybe something like that 

Thanks Tim, Bob and Dr Jay.

I am hoping to get this one done in time for the NNL East. I'm using the Lindberg chassis but I corrected the shock mounts in the engine compartment with the prototypical correct style. The chassis had to be shortened about 3/16 and the door panels have been scribed to match the actual plain Jane interior. I may take a chance to draw up the dash gauge panel, speaker grill and scripts for photo etching, that will be tricky though. I mastered a wedge cross ram manifold to be more accurate that has the correct plugs and surface features and cast it in resin. I haven't decided on the colors yet but leaning to white with a blue interior.

2015-11-05 08.23.22.jpg

The dash in the kit was definitely for a 63 polara. The 1st image is a 62 Dart dash, the 2nd is a dash from a 63 Polara

ml-bujosa622 (1).jpg

mopp-1109-04-o+1963-dodge-polara-500-convertible+dashboard.jpg

I have 3 of  1963 Plymouth kits, 2 each of the 62 Dodge and Plymouths and they all have the exact same dash ,,neither of them look like either of these shown here

Well- the incorrect dash problem has been rectified, with the exception of the defroster vents and speaker grille. Aluminum tube scuffed with a Scotchbrite pad along  with pieces of paper clip inserted partially up the holes and installed in holes drilled through the dash. Install following painting tha dash assembly and voila--a 62 Dart dash from a 63 Polara dash.

DSCF3976.JPG

EFA

.BobbyG's looks way better than mine! If someone would like to send me another dash to convert (This one needs to be done ASAP so I can enter a spring IPMS show with it) so they can cast it--I don't do resin casting--I would be more than willing to do it. Send me a PM and we can work out the details.  I have often considered getting into casting unique parts i've made, but I think I draw the line at mini lathes and resin casting...it takes me more than enough time to complete a project as it is

Thank you thank you thank you for the correct spelling of Voila. Seeing it spelled as WALLA just irks me. Same for using WELP instead of well. You win the internet for the day.

...but I hadn't caught my use of "tha" instead of the more correct version "the". My Internet Win has become tainted by an asterisk.