Model Cars Magazine Forum

It was going just fine until the same urges hit that occurred when I was riding in the 70's. Header, air cleaners and jets, handlebars. Now I'm deciding on whether or not to bob the fenders and paint them to match the tank (probably). The tank and seat aren't fastened and I've got plumbing to do. Wish the tire fit was better. This kit is typical 70's MPC. Not bad, not great. A nice couple of weekends.

DSCF4008.JPG

DSCF4006.JPG

DSCF4002.JPG

DSCF4005.JPG

Looking good. I've been waiting for someone to get around to building this. I just ordered one the other day off of eBay as a birthday gift for myself. It has not arrived as of yet. But, it's only been two days.

Anything in particular one need to watch out for in build this kit? Or are things pretty straight forward?

There really aren't any pitfalls. You can assemble the lower end of the motor before installation. Lots of chrome removal or dullcoating. One aspect that gave me a few minutes of pause was the gauges. The characters are raised on the backside of the lenses. It finally dawned on me to mask the faces and shoot the backs with a thin coat of black. When this had set, I polished the high spots clear with a piece of 1200 grit, picked out the needles with orange and back-painted  them with white. They came out just as good as I had hoped. The handlebars were made from an old T'rantula header, close enough diameter and it had the right curves. Clubman style bars were hot in the 70's. The air cleaners are ribbed caps from tiny craft glue tubes, painted white. I'm not revealing how I re-jetted the carbs.

Edited by samdiego

It turns out that my bike arrived in the mail yesterday. Just in time for my birthday. Priority mail can be fast!

A question comes up as I look at the instructions. What and how does the tach and speedometer attach to on the bike itself? Is this obvious as you build the model? For it sure is not obvious in the instructions.

Other wise, everything else looks pretty straight forward. The vinyl tubing looks like it could be a little bit of a rats nest. In fact, I'm also a little unclear about mounting what I assume are the ignition coils. Beyond that, construction looks pretty straight forward.

One last thing. Painting the black plastic parts. They are molded in what looks to be a pretty nice black plastic. I'm tempted to leave them as is and just assemble the kit. The red plastic pieces I will be painting. Anybody have any thoughts on this.

Thanks guys. The gauge cluster fits onto the tongue sticking out of the triple tree. Not well represented in the instructions. It does have enough surface area for a good bond and is fairly sturdy when done. The instructions are also a little vague about clocking the inputs of the gauges. I haven't run those cables yet so I don't know if pointing them straight back was a good idea or not.  The tires are one piece but the fit to the rim is poor and they are a bit misshapen.

I'd recommend it, It does finish nicely and there are tons of reference online. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the street.

I got this from Tower Hobbies online. Waiting way too long before ordering it Tuesday the 22nd of December. Taking advantage of their free shipping, I figured I'd have it by the end of the following week. Seems they saw fit to ship it on a faster drone and it actually arrived on Christmas Eve. Nice touch and I really appreciated the gesture. Just sayin'

Edited by samdiego
edits