Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8th scale Pocher F40 with Autograph transkit

SWAGON

Thanks, everyone! I paid $1250 US for this kit. Which was a bargain compared to the last 3 I didn't buy. I see them on eBay about 2-3 times a year. They usually sell for closer to $2k. I was very nervous while negotiating that someone else would buy it now for the $1500 asking price. 

I have probably spent a total of $2500 on everything over my 2 year accumulation phase (which I typically would consider some insane for spending on a model) but this is the one kit I have wanted to build for the longest time. No other car excites me more than the F40. I hope to buy a real one when I retire some day!

I build 1:1 cars as my main hobby. Have had a few cars featured in magazines and online publications. Was even voted #10 of the top 10 car builds of 2013. #1 was a Ferrari F40 LM restoration so I was in good company!!

http://www.build-threads.com/general-car-stuff/top-10-builds-of-2013/

Edited by SWAGON

I have no problem on what you spent on the F40 and completely understand the money outlay. Just too steep for me at this point in my life...house building right now. So my comment was a FYI only, not a criticismB)

My wife nearly killed me when I purchased a Pocher Bugatti kit last year...but she got over it. I will probably spend some serious coin on my F40 when I restore it. Have acquired the five Pocher kits I want for now and they lay in wait for me to build.

God I hope you can get your hands on a real F40......the collector market kills real motor enthusiasts from acquiring such rare and beautiful beasts. If I had the means, I would be playing with the real 1:1 cars instead of scale models, but......

If I had the means, I would be playing with the real 1:1 cars instead of scale models, but......

Yup! That's why I love building models. Although, I think I would still build scale cars even if I had the dough.

Brandon, your F40 is looking great. I love seeing them in different colors too.

Edited by Toast

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished cutting out and filing all the vents in the rear panel in addition to the first full mock up of the rear spoiler. Also tried fitting the hub/knockoff.

25819143050_f8befe24eb_c.jpg

25496275474_f6863838c3_c.jpg

25498420483_847b7e3ae9_c.jpg

26008507152_863272c167_c.jpg

26075100856_96f56ed125_c.jpg

Edited by SWAGON

I would venture to guess the whole thing when done with the transkit, will be about 20 lbs. Maybe more though. It's very heavy.

Started on the rear grill. The stock one is plastic and solid with no holes in the grill material. So far, I soldered the outer surround and the right side lens rings/fasteners. It's super rigid with all the pieces soldered together. It will really look good when I prime and paint it black. 

Edited by SWAGON

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to strip the main body again. I want to use real automotive paint for this project. The other stuff wasn't that durable. I believe I have used 4-5 cans of aircraft stripper on this. Most people have the worst time removing the finish. Not sure what it is but it's serious stuff. I had to do each piece in stages often doing 2-3 coats and leaving it in sunlight for a few hours. The inner surfaces won't ever be seen and I will do a final sand of the body after a skim coat with surface body filler. Added 2 shots with an old 1/24 build of mine to show the scale. 

Correct. I wasn't happy with the finish from the paint I used on the main body so I stripped it all down again. Removing etching primer is a pain in the butt btw!!! I had originally used auto paint in a spray can with U-pol auto rattle can clear coat but it's not that great. I will thin down real automotive PPG DBC (base and clear) and shoot it with my Devilbiss gun. I have done automotive paint for myself for 12-13 years and have become quite good. But thought it was a little overkill at first.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha, i think everyone building an F40 has that picture saved to their computer. Every picture I've seen of the engine have plated bolts.

On vacation last week, stopped at Ferrari of San Francisco. Sales person we talked to was really cool. Checked out a bunch of nice cars. They did have an F40 on site but seeing it was a no go.

That's crazy that the paint held up against aircraft stripper. I've stripped a couple diecasts with the stuff and it pulls up the paint in minutes.

The paint on these Pochers is super durable. Seems more like powder coat. The nose is the most durable of all the parts too. I cannot for the life of me, strip around the grill openings. I have sprayed it at least 5 times.

• 1 month later...