Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8th scale Pocher F40 with Autograph transkit

SWAGON

Hello, everyone. I am new to this forum. 36 years old and have been building models since I can remember. I used to build one as a kid up to probably age 16. The I got back into it a little in my 20's and then again recently with the purchase of a Pocher F40, my all time dream. 

I purchased a built kit for about $350 and lucked out in that no glue was used. I bought some not so ideal transkits here and there. I found a set of the OZ Competitizione wheels from overseas and a few months ago, I finally scored my dream. A complete Autograph speed line transkit. 

I had never soldered before or done that much custom fab. But have been a fast learner and jumped right in. I intend to create a street version of the Competitizione in white. 

Thanks!! Here are some photos of the Autograph contents. I built the engine using a lesser quality transkit. So I bought another Pocher F40 engine kit. I will build one motor for in the car and one for display. 

23190095533_b06e3ce587_b.jpg

23708484642_6984614b1a_b.jpg

23734440761_4cb452149b_b.jpg

23708485162_c5f20c55b6_b.jpg

23448951499_4a1feaf8f5_b.jpg

23448951639_dac35097a6_b.jpg

23190097163_133ddb1d60_b.jpg

23448951949_0a78d86ba2_b.jpg

23190096013_0af47cb444_b.jpg

23190096223_ea3f1bb67a_b.jpg

23190097443_aa9e5000f2_b.jpg

23448952229_ee58db2cc0_b.jpg

23708484802_87e0eb2244_b.jpg

Edited by SWAGON

That is some really great modeling Brandon!

One thing that looks a bit odd to me is all the brass bolts. real car would not have those in brass color (unless someone painted or plated them). They to me would look more realistic if they were silver.  When I use brass hardware in this type of application I always tin plate them. That gives them a dull silver finish which to me better.  You can pickup the plating kit from http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/tin-plating-kits/electroless-tin-plating-kits.html or also from electronic supply companies.  Sometimes it also comes in powder form (to be dissolved by the user) which is easier to ship.

Another alternative would be to blacken the brass bolts using one of the chemicals from https://www.jaxchemical.com/products.html

I can't wait to see that car in white!

Thanks, everyone!! It's been quite the learning process.

I actually don't mind the brass bolts. Gives some nice contrast and the bolts from most of the projects I have worked on with real cars pre-2000's are often cad plated. There is a nice NSX for sale on bringatrailer and all of it's suspension bolts are cad plated which made me think of it. The Datsun 510 I restored and the 240Z's my dad have restored have also all had cad bolts.  

I'll be watching along with many others Brandon.  That's a stunning car you're working on and the 1:1 pics are simply indescribable. I've never built to this scale before and it will be fun to see how much you "throw at it".  You're off to an excellent start most assuredly.  I picked up a HiroBoy 917LH in 1/12th to tackle some day and I'll be curious of your opinions / experiences in building your Pocher F40.  Cheers and good luck!  tim

That is some really great modeling Brandon!

One thing that looks a bit odd to me is all the brass bolts. real car would not have those in brass color (unless someone painted or plated them). They to me would look more realistic if they were silver.  When I use brass hardware in this type of application I always tin plate them. That gives them a dull silver finish which to me better.  You can pickup the plating kit from http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/tin-plating-kits/electroless-tin-plating-kits.html or also from electronic supply companies.  Sometimes it also comes in powder form (to be dissolved by the user) which is easier to ship.

Another alternative would be to blacken the brass bolts using one of the chemicals from https://www.jaxchemical.com/products.html

I can't wait to see that car in white!

Another more readily available alternative might be to simply tin the bolt heads with a soldering iron and electrical solder.

Another more readily available alternative might be to simply tin the bolt heads with a soldering iron and electrical solder.

Using electroless plating you can dump 100 bolts in the plating solution and do them all at the same time.  Tinning using a soldering iron woudl have to be done one-at-a-time. Also, plating results in a nice even satin finish. Not so when using soldering iron.  But yes, it is an alternative.

Using electroless plating you can dump 100 bolts in the plating solution and do them all at the same time.  Tinning using a soldering iron woudl have to be done one-at-a-time. Also, plating results in a nice even satin finish. Not so when using soldering iron.  But yes, it is an alternative.

Both good ideas. If you use a silver solder it does polish up nice and shiny but I agree the coverage would be less than neat and tidy.

The Autograph kit components make my F40 Pocher look like a Barbie vehicle in comparison. I just can't swing the $ for it right now. Please keep posting your progress

I will keep it in mind and might try it but I am not sure it's worth the effort at this point. I am not trying to go for 100% accuracy. I just want to have something that is fun to build and look at. All the Autograph builds I see are using the brass bolts.

Heh. You've convinced me. Plating is definitely better.

• 4 weeks later...