Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 GMC Pick-Up WreXploratioN

Hi All,

Just completed this build. Purchased the kit way back in December 2014 at Hobby Lobby during a United States trip. However I did not start building it until a whole year later in December 2015. I am not really that into tow trucks so I decided from the start that I would scratch build my own box and took some inspiration from the Earth Roamer Xpedition vehicles when designing it, hence the self-named WreXploratioN (a play-on of "Wrecker" and "Xploration" - which would possibly be a smaller version of the Xpedition). Overall this was a fairly enjoyable build that was easy to put together and came out great.

Here are the modifications that were made:

- A custom off-road front bumper was made out of cardboard along with sprue for the yellow fog lights, all of which was painted with Testor's.

-The winch and hook that came with the kit was relocated to the front on top of the bumper and cotton twine was used for the cable. Part of a toothpick holds the hook onto the bumper.

- Custom front fender flares were also made out of cardboard and painted with Crayola pencil crayon.

- A small lift kit was added by placing 1/2 centimeter long pieces of sprue on where the springs attach to the chassis.

- As the stock tires were taken for my Dodge Ram model, I had found an old toy that was broken and used the tires off that.

- A custom box and roof rack was made for the rear portion of the GMC, made out of cardboard as well and spray-painted with Power Fist's Fast-Dry Anti Rust (from Princess Auto). The stock bumper was fitted in, with twine to make the rope and toothpicks to hold it.

- The rear hitch receiver was made by simply leaving on the excess sprue that came on the chassis

- Sharpie was used to darken the trim around the windows and the door handles.

On to the pictures:

Wrexploration_2016.thumb.jpg.425d06a5961

Wrexploration_01.thumb.JPG.77ab47aced41a

Wrexploration_02.thumb.JPG.405ab229fe5edWrexploration_03.thumb.JPG.ff20fdabf7c7dWrexploration_04.thumb.JPG.9b1f5ec752af9Wrexploration_05.thumb.JPG.6de37d96dd73cWrexploration_06.thumb.JPG.15384021d2889Wrexploration_07.thumb.JPG.4c0523fd655d5Wrexploration_08.thumb.JPG.5d6c64b39be4fWrexploration_09.thumb.JPG.528e65267fdeaWrexploration_10.thumb.JPG.e33a239e9604eWrexploration_11.thumb.JPG.465f367207894

Box Art:

Box_Art.thumb.JPG.73b4fd22baf40a58e7d9b1

Thanks for looking! Have a great rest of the day!

Great imagination with that kit. Nice work.

Thank you!

Hey Tink, Those are great looking !!

Where did you get those wheels and tires at ?

Keep 'em coming

Cheers

Thanks! I got the tires from an old toy that I recently rediscovered. Do not know what it was exactly or who made it as the body was missing and there are no identifiable markings on it. If I remember correctly, if you stuck a battery in it, it would go forward until it hit something and if you flipped the switch it would go backward until it hit something. Here is a picture of it disassembled and without the tires: