Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 356 Dragster

aurfalien

Hi,

I was a bit out of my depth on this one and will instead focus my next few builds on simple curb sides to develop building skills.

Now, onto my 5th build, or is it my 6th?  It's a bash of Revells 356 and AMTs Swamp Rat, both in 1/25.

What I learned;

1) Some paints are not compatible with some primers.  Symptoms include;

- The paint bugerizes, meaning it never dries (resoluablizes) and starts to clump.  It also cracks and orange peels in areas.

* To avoid this, test and if you wanna use incompatible products, apply a sealer between the paints.

In my case, the Design Master Rose Gold which I think is better on bare plastic, has plasticiser which is incompatible with my Tamiya primer which also has plasticiser. Combining the two met with utter disaster as the primer and paint started to re liquify in spots and remained in this wierd semi damp/gooey state.  My solution was to apply a sealer, in this case Design Master Super Surface Sealer to the primer before final color was applied.

2) Many items didn't fit right after final glue/paint was applied even though I test fit "some" items.

- My dash, rear wheels and wheelie bar were totaly out of alignment and crooked.

* Test fit "everything" period.  Or atleast key parts which you can identify with experiance.  If you don't have enough experiance, test fit it all.

I plan to use Rose Gold on my HRM Cheetah which is a bit down the line.  But the color combo will be brilliant!

* Special mention goes to CrazyEd for inspiring this build.  I also have planned, in large part due to his idea, to build a crazy cafe type racer from a 356 and a Porsche Indy car.  But that's perhaps by this fall or so.

PS I wished I would have had it a bit lower but again, this has to do with test fitting and better planning.  Oh well...