Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Black Cobra

sk8erdave

I was working on 55 chrysler mild custom, which has the best paint I've ever done, especially considering it was rattle cans, for a competition on a UK hot rod forum (rods n sods), but having been laid of from work just before Christmas, I have no money, especially for paints, I decided to wait until I can get paints instead of just finishing it.

So, I had a sort out and come across my Shelby Cobra model I had started a long time ago, getting as far as completeing the chassis and painting the engine parts.

I did some minimal body prep to get rid of some mould lines and flash, then looked through my sprays. I used games workshop's chaos black spray, which is actually thier undercoat, but gives a finish I think is between matt and satin. I sprayed it standing in the garage door so the overspray would go outside. Initially it didn't give a smooth finish... I thought maybe it was too cold, the wind outside affected it, or my technique. I got the hot air gun on it and it settled how it normally does. YAY. Not my best body/paint work, but I think it suits the lines of the car and the chrome likes it too.
The wheels are from revells 36 ford 2 n 1 and the brake discs came from a AMT Fast and Furious:Tokyo Drift Mustang. The wheels had solid backs, so I cut the centres out to form the back half of the rim.  I think for the brake I used the kit wheel backs and cut/dremeled them down to fit in the centre of the brake discs so they fit on the kit axles. In the pics the wheels arent attached, I want to do a better job than just sticking them to the brake discs.
The kit, despite being relatively simple was a pig to get together, with the bulkhead interfering with the header on one side. Id also lost some bits somehow whilst the kit sat in my to-do pile.

Metallica made the black album, I made the black cobra!

Not bad for a days work, and another one out the pile and on to the shelf.