Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many people fully detail a model?

Although I do enjoy looking and following along on all the super detailed builds. But for me personally I dont have the drive, inclination or patiance to do them myself anymore. And I dont do contests so my builds are for me and me only .

About as far beyond box stock I go anymore is carpeting (in a convertible only )  and some underhood wiring ( spark plug wires and battery cables )

On a funnycar build I MIGHT add some  fuel lines bacause they are so visible  ,,,but thats rare

On a side note I am not above buying a kit already built if the subject is someting I like . But I'm a tight wad so its rare this happens

I enjoy detailing the engine compartment the most. Over time I started with plug wires and thought it was great, then came heater hoses and battery cables. Each build I would try to do more and more. Got the fuel lines down pretty well and then I started into the throttle linkage and just started getting frustrated trying to cram all that stuff under the hood so started backing off a little. Doing dash board instruments are still enjoyable but unless its an open car you just don't get to see it. Seats and door panel detail is rewarding but again its just to hard to see. I respect the efforts of so many builders that get into the brake and fuel lines, but I don't see myself ever going to that extent. The exhaust systems are something that I do enjoy with the challenge of guiding the exhaust around and thru the frame and differential. I still think the paint and exterior trim is the most important since it is what you see first and is the part of the build that receives the most scrutiny. I should thank all of the detail obsessive builders for all that I have learned from watching how and what you do. It has enabled me to improve my builds greatly.       

I went through a phase of trying to hit every nth degree of detail and found it laborious, tedious and not fulfilling (or convincing for that matter). There are those who excel at such things and I leave it to them to be rock stars. I'll just pay my admission to see them. I'm satisfied with wiring engines, building clean and wrapping them up in reasonable time.

I find that trying to detail too much, leads me to looking for wire,...in a certain diameter,...that I can't find any where (not Iphone chargers!) or that isn't available for 3-4 weeks,...and then I forget to order the #4 A/N fittings,..or they are out of stock for 6 weeks and when in,...they are mailed separately,..which increases the shipping cost to $40.00,....or

......Stalled build......

:lol::lol::lol:

MacGyver On...

Cheers

For the foreseeable future, I'm in the less-is-more camp. Having just rejoined the car modeling fraternity recently, I'm so far sticking with mostly curbside stuff; so no extra frame, interior or engine details of any kind. About as far as I'm wiling to go at the moment, is some wheel/tire swaps.

Perhaps later I'll try to detail some engines and stuff, but not right now. 

I do as much detailing as my skills will allow. :)

Still working on weathering ans scratchbuilding skills. 

I'm pretty confident with my flocking and interiors, but always trying to get better.

For me, trying to hyper-detail is part of the fun. How close can I get it to looking accurate? 

I spent years trying to super detail everything I could until one day I realized that I had also not finished a build in years. Now I focus on details I feel are important and leave the truly exotic stuff to the people who are more inclined to that sort of attention to detail.

I find that trying to detail too much, leads me to looking for wire,...in a certain diameter,...that I can't find any where (not Iphone chargers!) or that isn't available for 3-4 weeks,...and then I forget to order the #4 A/N fittings,..or they are out of stock for 6 weeks and when in,...they are mailed separately,..which increases the shipping cost to $40.00,....or

......Stalled build......

:lol::lol::lol:

MacGyver On...

Cheers

Bruce,

I LOVE the motto..... "MacGyver On..." -NIICE its been awhile since I've heard someone say that name and being a sort of genius on different difficult situations!!!! -I miss the show!

I used to, until I realized I no longer was enjoying it. It was becoming more of a task than enjoyment. Now I build simple models. 

Same here.

I used to get a lot more involved years ago, but I found it really began to become work after a while.

The things I really enjoy about a build are things like paint & interior & exterior detailing.

All of the engine & chassis stuff never really interested me much.

I do enjoy a little engine detailing on occasion, if it's an unusual engine configuration, but I can only stay interested in so many big block Chevies before it becomes really boring.

I guess you could say I'm more of an "automotive design" kind of guy than a mechanical groupie, so exterior & interior detailing is where I like to focus most of my attention.

Steve

I'll go as far as adding a wired distributor or maybe a fuel line to a carb, but that's the extent of it for me.   More than that and the fun factor drops out of sight for me.

I'll maybe spend some time trying to make the car appear a little bit more realistic- like side windows when none are included or my new favourite, tire and head light detailing.

I'm too cheap to spend much money so I like to try and figure out how to do the extra without spending extra... 

I've been a body and paint guy for over 30 years, so exterior appeal does it for me.

Kudos to those that go the extra mile. There are some truly talented folks here!

I'm starting to get more serious about detailing as a personal challenge; never got much into engine detailing but that will be next. I've been doing little improvements to the one-piece chassis on my '61 Comet, and cut up the interior on the '60 Chrysler to deepen it and redo the seats, then add custom upholstery, cranks and handles. Carving all those little parts is what I seem to like best, along with repairing old builtups (spent last night redoing the windshield frame of the '59 Edsel, drilling tiny holes and making tiny reinforcement pins to fix the split and take the sag out). Still, engines don't excite me that much, but I'll get there eventually.

Doing dash board instruments are still enjoyable but unless its an open car you just don't get to see it. Seats and door panel detail is rewarding but again its just to hard to see.  

Amen to that. I seriously doubt that I'll get too worked up over interiors on my kits until such time as I tackle a convertible, and that'll be a while.

.........take each and every build to your max,,,, or, maybe not.....that's why its called a hobby,,,, and everybody has their own personal  level of how far to take a project to what level suits them within their comfort zone. I would venture to say that I'd bet many, many cars are brushed aside unfinished as sometimes a project can become just too much, especially if a builder gets way over his head in something that may just be biting off more than they can chew.......I've have always thought that everyone should build to the best of their ability, and keep within that zone of where it stays fun, enjoyable, and rewarding to them.....just my 2 cents........the Ace.....;)

Same here.

I used to get a lot more involved years ago, but I found it really began to become work after a while.

The things I really enjoy about a build are things like paint & interior & exterior detailing.

All of the engine & chassis stuff never really interested me much.

I do enjoy a little engine detailing on occasion, if it's an unusual engine configuration, but I can only stay interested in so many big block Chevies before it becomes really boring.

I guess you could say I'm more of an "automotive design" kind of guy than a mechanical groupie, so exterior & interior detailing is where I like to focus most of my attention.

Steve

I agree. I refuse to detail EVERY v8, v12.......and so on. I like to have ONE very detailed example of each engine/undercarriage that I like. the hood gets glued down on the rest, usually.

.........take each and every build to your max,,,, or, maybe not.....that's why its called a hobby,,,, and everybody has their own personal  level of how far to take a project to what level suits them within their comfort zone. I would venture to say that I'd bet many, many cars are brushed aside unfinished as sometimes a project can become just too much, especially if a builder gets way over his head in something that may just be biting off more than they can chew.......I've have always thought that everyone should build to the best of their ability, and keep within that zone of where it stays fun, enjoyable, and rewarding to them.....just my 2 cents........the Ace.....;)

Totally agree!!!! Though a little detail will always bring out the model just little more. Just add more as you learn and learn you will in this place. I enjoy doing mainly engine detail ignition wire, cooling hoses, and fuel lines is probably as much as I would go engine detail. Then onto the interior, whether its convertible or not. You can also go the resin spare parts way.....though that's another story

Its nice to know Im not alone. I love the super detailed models, but I dont have the skill. I recently tried to assemble the 1/24 scale liberty trans shifter. Holy cow. That thing is small. I dont see how some of you guys do it. I tend to get frustrated very quickly. Especially during paint. I HATE painting a model. So I start a model, with a plan to detail to the max, then I get frustrated because I cant get something to work, or look right, then I have to paint it....And it goes in the pile of unfinished models. 

Since I'm just getting back into it, I'm trying to learn the detail stuff. So far it seems difficult to do engine wiring but then again, I haven't attempted that. So far, I'm going with getting rid of mold lines and detailing panel lines. I want to produce a really nice paint job if I can. I just bought battery cables and stuff so I'll see how that goes and go from there.