Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many people fully detail a model?

I was wondering how often model kits get super detailed by a builder. I quite often find that many people on this forum are ocd with their build subjects. It only makes sense that model builders would be obsessed over achieving near perfection, however I find that what is most important to me is a nice clean build free of mold lines, or flash, clean glue and paint. At most  I will wire an engine, and carpet the interior. In my opinion detailing beyond that will probably make this hobby not as enjoyable, and will drive me crazy referencing pictures , manuals, etc. 

Well, I guess I'm guilty as charged! Thus my handle on this board. :D

While the things you mentioned are important, there are those of us that try to get as close to the 1:1 as possible. For me, that comes down to accurate roof/lower body lines (to the best of my ability), accurate chassis details, and oh yeah-----the working features that I try to make as "in scale" as possible. 

I don't mind collecting pics are even buying shop manuals if it's a car I know I'll be passionate about. I consider it part of the build, and I'll go so far as to have the actual color mixed locally for me if possible. The '59 Chevy I'm working on at the moment is one of those cars. I'm VERY familiar with GM 1959-60 rooflines, and the shape of this one bugged me so much, that I swapped roofs off the much more accurate '60 to get what I wanted.

I guess to each his own.........some of us are a lot more passionate about certain builds than others. It doesn't make us more "right" than the next guy, just what makes some of us tick I suppose. ;)

I admit that I do not. Normally don't go beyond wiring an engine and flocking the interior. Most times not even that. I do enjoy seeing the work of the people that do. I have tried to do more in the past but to be honest most of my attempts just looked clumsy and added nothing to the overall look of the model.

On a very large subject like a ship or plane that may be 2-3ft long and 1-1.5ft wide, yes I can be very OCD about details! But on a small scale car or truck, I reference pictures to get close, there is definitely a point where it's "close enough".

I think that my mood can also dictate what and how I build. I've discovered that lately if I do a super detailed build, I need to do 1-2 curbside builds before I tackle the next detailed build. Even when I do my version of super detailed builds, I RARELY try to make functioning parts for the simple reason that people want to see it operate -over and over again. that's playing with fate. the more you play with it, the better your chances are of something bad happening. Even builds of mine that appear to be replica stock, never are truly. I also find that if a build takes me too long, I end up not having fun, and once it is finished, don't want it anymore. All in All, everyone is different, and just because one model is super detailed, doesn't mean it is better than a curbside. I've seen less detailed builds beat the socks off some super detailed builds. Thanks for starting this, I was wondering about this myself. Variety in how I build keeps it from being a job to me.

I guess I have to say "It depends".  It depends on what the mood strikes me and to be honest I couldn't tell you why that is.  I like an occasionally like an OOB build, others I like to do a little more and then some get the "full Monty".  Having said that, I like all my models to be as clean as possible.  Take care of all the mold lines, fill all the gaps, get the best paint job I can do.  After that, it just depends on me.

And then there are the moments when I just like to get into the parts box and go totally Gonzo!  Yea, that is an Ed Roth Surfite.

I vary my detailing on how into the real car the model represents I am.  I make a decision on each model on the level of detail I will and what will be working or not.  I am not anywhere near as obsessive as Bill, but do find myself trying to correct a model to reflect the 1:1. 

To me, form, fit and finish are primary.  The amount of detail you add does nothing to correct those.  Also, how one displays the model can also impact detail.  If it won't be visible, do it if you want (you'll know) or let it slide. 

There also is a point where detail detracts.  Try to do all the wiring and plumbing in an engine bay in 1/25 scale and you'll see what I mean.  Sometimes you back off to stress the more important parts.

But, do what you enjoy.  I have a friend who, for years, would do the body mods and get it in primer and stop.  That was the part of model building that most interested him.  Eventually he did get a couple through to completion, but the design and fabrication are where he got his most enjoyment.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I get caught up in the detail it to the max but lately I been just the basics.My models get put in a showcase  and put on a shelf and so

nobody's  going to see any of it. It is also hard to do with my health issues so just the basics mam just the basics.....

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts guys. I really appreciate, and respect the detail work some of you guys do on here. Every time I look at a extremely detailed build I think of all the frustration, research, and patience it took to get a model too look that way. Maybe it isn't something that is a hair pulling , nail biting, table thumping, eyeball popping task for those that do advanced detailing. As I mentioned earlier, I think I'm just going to keep building at a enjoyable level, and not make it a job or chore. ;) The engine posted on here looks awesome! Wow!!! 

I like looking at models that have been fully detailed, be they cars, airplanes, tanks, figures, whatever. As long as they are done well and accurately. It bugs me to see a model where someone has pulled out all the stops, only to make an inaccurate or poorly done model.

Do I do any of this? Nope. Not what I'm in the hobby for. When I was starting out, I amassed a lot of aftermarket PE, resin, all sorts of doo-dads. And every time I used them I was one of those poor guys who did not use them well. When I finally started getting better, I made one "everything and the kitchen sink" P-40, with all the interior details, hollowed out guns and exhausts, dropped flaps, everything. Then sold all the aftermarket, except for basic stuff. I still like resin seats in my airplanes and aftermarket decals. In my cars, I've become fond of AMTs pad-printed tires, and flocking. That's all I use nowadays.

I'm very careful about whatever you can see sitting on the shelf--bodywork, paint, "sit," and so forth, and to a slightly lesser degree, the interior. I no longer obsess over engine or chassis detail in most cases, though I'll still detail-paint these once in a while if I really enjoy the subject matter and the kit is nice in these areas. I have vowed that I will NEVER again wire or plumb an engine unless it's hanging out in full view, i.e., a dragster, Altered, or maybe a "special" street rod.

Honestly, I don't think there is probably any builder who could truthfully say they "fully" detail a model, and if they do I'd still have to question it. :huh:

I take the term "fully" detailed to mean that EVERYTHING that would be on the 1:1 would also be on the model. Wiring harnesses throughout the body, wiring to everything in the dash, wiring to the power windows and locks (not to mention everything that works those parts), the list can go on and on, and having all this done would be my definition of fully detailed.  

I take the term "fully" detailed to mean that EVERYTHING that would be on the 1:1 would also be on the model.

Oh come on... you can't be serious? By your definition, every internal engine component would have to be there. Every gear inside the transmission. Every diode and resistor inside the radio. The springs in the seats, the inner workings of the airbags, etc. Obviously there is no such thing as a fully detailed model by your definition... that's impossible.

While I sometimes put a lot of details into a model I don't really get overly "obsessive" about it (not trying to pick on Bill).  I try to be as neat and clean as I can but don't really get too hung up on the really intricate details.  I enjoy adding details because they add to the realism of the look of the model, and I find it fun along the way.  I do use internet reference pictures in order to try to get the details that I do add in the right places.  

Like many here it varies. I take breaks between detailed builds to knock out a Dave Deal or Tom Daniel build. Then go right back at a full detail build with all the bells and whistles. For me it's tough to do "Obsessive" detail builds for every kit that comes across the bench. It also depends on the vehicle. A Top Fuel digger or Funny car just begs for ignition, fuel and other goodies. But I don't think I've built anything in quite a while where I didn't scratch build a piece or two or at least add ignition wiring.

But that's me...

To be honest, most of the time when I get into the detail mode, it is more about learning how to do something new to create better detail or just for the fact that I can say, yes, I build that part from raw material.  It is a very personal motivation, but the fun in this hobby for me is in the creation.  I love building and new techniques or other methods.  That is what got me into working more in metal and other materials.  I recently purchased some Delrin and can't wait to get into machining it.  Different material and different techniques.

I almost never do anything beyond plug-wires, fuel line, and flocking. Anything more takes too long, things start to pile up and I lose interest. Like Snake said, body work, paint, and stance so they look good on the shelf, although for me the fun is in the engine so I almost never build curbside's.

Oh come on... you can't be serious? By your definition, every internal engine component would have to be there. Every gear inside the transmission. Every diode and resistor inside the radio. The springs in the seats, the inner workings of the airbags, etc. Obviously there is no such thing as a fully detailed model by your definition... that's impossible.

Not only MY definition, but also by Merriam-Webster as well.

Simple Definition of fully

Popularity: Bottom 30% of words
  • : in every way or detail : completely or entirely

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fully

With me, I LOVE detail work.. BUT that also lends its hand to what I have. see where I live theres very little to offer and I can't just order online, so A LOT of the time, I work with what I have in-hand.... I often look for other sources too, for say plug wires..... A local place carries ANY and EVERY color imaginable to 30 gauge stuff so...... I'm good to go at a 50 foot roll at a time!

But I do as much as I'm able some times in a lot of the builds I got going, I've sat them aside waiting on something while I continue to build something else waiting for materials, but I keep going in one way or another!

And like said, it really depends on the mood and feeling if I'm gonna go "all out", OR just simply..........."go"!!!!

I know a guy who is so obsessed with not building anything if it's not perfect, that I don't believe he's finished a model in the 30 years I know him!  Don't be like him. On the other hand, I know guys who don't do any prep at all and squeeze hardware store spray paint on the bare plastic. It's a matter of 'to each his own'.  I fall somewhere in the middle.

I like to scratch build things and add details as a personal challenge.  I saw how busy a 1:1 Volare was under the hood and took it as a challenge to see how much of it I could recreate in scale.  I don't go overly crazy on a regular basis. I almost always wire engines and add a fuel line.  I never add brake lines and such.  I will swap in a full detail chassis for models with a one piece chassis.  I like to build a nice model but I no longer focus on contests, I won't open doors and trunks anymore, I like to add surprising little details and enjoy making the little parts. It's easier than many folks think! I'm more into pleasing myself and the odd band of folks I call my friends.

I enjoy to try out techniques i read about here,and it is a certain satisfaction when i get it right,also it does look a bit

more realistic when done. You can say it is a challenge i enjoy. I like people who are obsessive about detail and 

finish,it is facinating to watch they`re work. I know i never be as good as them but they are my inspiration.