Model Cars Magazine Forum

Been tinkering with one for a couple years now in between other projects.

Paint is Butterscotch auto enamel with Tamiya white acrilyc. 

Going for a '70s retro vibe with the wheels.Large Pegasus vantage units modified to be deeper and narrowed a bit. I painted the centers white to suggest the white "wagon wheels" that were so popular in the '70s and early '80s.

IMG 1896

LOVE IT. I agree with Harry, on BMF the wipers and door handles, BUT I have to say, I don't think your done yet.... or are ya? Going for that chrome-less look?

The truck looks GREAT Tho! I love the Butterscotch paint with the white! But I have to ask, where did you find the Butterscotch paint? I have an idea for the use of that color myself!

Something else I noticed, this is the first time, I have seen the long bed Dodge truck WITH the tail lights in-tact.. that chrome-ish trim, an insert that goes in first followed by the lens, OR is that the way the lens is casted and you painted the trim ring around the lens itself to look like chrome?? I have to cough up something like this myself, as I have one of these but its missing the lens so, I'm trying to think HOW I am gonna get that detail made!

Um, no guys, it's no where near finished yet. If it were, I would have put this post in the "under glass" section. ;) I still have to do the front marker lights too.

John, I had the paint mixed at a local autobody supply store ages ago.

The tailights are from Modelhaus. The chrome bezel is a separate part, same as that came in the kit originally.

Thanks Steve.....

I didn't think you were finished with the kit.....

I'll have to see what I can have done locally for the Butterscotch paint.... I got a build planned for that color on a car. So. Just.something different and out of the ordinary you know? LOOKS GREAT on your truck too! The white fits right in!

Modelhaus.......figures, I'm screwed LOL (I can't order online) :huh:

-You know I'ma bone head...... I didn't ask, you got pics of the '76 grille by chance? I'd like to see the grille to see if its one correct to the year of truck, and 2 if I can get away with using it to back date a truck I have planned..... (I'm unsure) without seeing a picture of the '76 grille tho!

Edited by 426-Hemi
I really can't spell or type some times!!!

I can't remember if this is one I cast myself or one I got elsewhere. I replaced the headlights and alcladded it myself. 

The one Modelhaus sells would be a copy of the kit peice with the molded in headlights and the grille openings molded over and chrome plated but since you can't order on line,,,

Modelhaus used to take money orders so you might want to send them an e-mail and ask if they still do. You might be able to get the parts from them good old "mail order". 

154 5444

Either way if you molded it or not thats nice!!! That paint work on the grille its self looks GREAT! NICE job on the headlights!

Is Modelhaus back to taking orders again? I read that they stopped for a bit to catch up... so I was wondering..... I might see about trying old mail ordering. worth a try and at this point I got nothing to loose! -Thanks for posting that! Much appreciated!

• 3 months later...

Been tinkering with this one after finishing the GTO last week ,, I built the engine and got it painted.

IMG 1950

I also did a bit of work on the wheels. I cut the center from a set of MPC 6 bolt wheels and added them to the wheels on the truck, which had weak detail in that area. I think it looks more "truck like". Would like to have a bit taller tire but these are all I have that fir the rims.

IMG 1951

Great looking dude.love the color.I knew it wasn't done. but even if it was...it looks amazing.These kits are hard to find and buy.I sure wish R2 would reissue these ol dode kits.I have one that was build once before.Its missing parts.but working on the interior now...got along ways to go on mine.smokin project you have.......Chris 

• 2 months later...

NICE Work! Itys been awhile since I've been here due to computer issues and stuff so... thought I'd have a look around to some of my old followings, and see whats been done!

You going for the Big Block look or the Small Block look for the engine? -I ask as the kits engine depicts both! LOL